When Does Destro Stop Being Fun?

I have to say, leveling one up right now…dungeons throughout as well, and the feeling of that big effing green Chaos Bolt heading towards the enemy for huge damage is too satisfying.

Pretty simple rotation, doesn’t feel clunky (if im even doing shi- right)… and I have my choice of pets.

When does it start to suck? Currently level 60.

I’ll tell you what though… Affliction… I couldn’t go any further… DoTs nonstop is exhausting.

2 Likes

Fun is subjective.

15 Likes

Agreed. I find the simplicity of destro boring. Aff is engaging for me. But if you think destro is fun now, it probs will keep being so. Cheers to the best class!

3 Likes

I’ll take it.

Honestly, I tried Affliction for a good bit, tossing DoTs etc but its like damn…

At least the option for 3 separate DPS is there…

I do agree… Warlock just has that appeal to it.

I don’t think anyone can tell you what you’ll personally think is fun, but I personally don’t find any of the warlock specs particularly fun in BFA.

In my opinion, Destro has such a mind numbing 4 button rotation, Demo has a lot of ramp and is a bit weird in spots but is visually pleasing, and Aff is just uh… it’s pretty bad all around in BFA. I think it’s only fun in leveling when you can just run and dot everything and never stop.

4 Likes

Yeah it was more rhetorical but i just wanted to at least bring some positivity to this subforum that someone out there is having a good time.

You arent wrong on the 4-button rotation with Destro… i guess that doesn’t change huh lol…

Conf, Immolate, Incin, Chaos Bolt nothing else is there!??!

That’s literally it, with the occasional infernal. Over and over and over again.

10 Likes

Once flashpoint goes away, the fun factor really drops for me. Feels like you are suddenly playing in slow motion.

1 Like

The only other things that happen are every 3 minutes you get Dark Soul and Infernal :slight_smile: Also incin gets replaced by cata anytime cata is up even if it’s a single target.

The class probably IS fun for people who have either never or barely played it in the past, but as someone who has mained Lock since Tier 5 it just feels so unfun compared to what it used to be.

7 Likes

It’ll start fading at endgame. I would say at the start of BFA but you won’t really be seeing the insane power loss we had after losing artifact weapons so you should be fine there.

The thing is, Destro is good at raids right now, but ONLY because Destro gets a lot of power from Visions of Perfection. Until you get rank 3 of that, as well as a solid set of azerite powers, you’ll find you only really do good damage during your Infernal, which is a 3 minute cooldown. Between Infernals, you’ll comparitively hit like a wet noodle. Visions of Perfection fixes this by allowing fairly consistent yet highly RNG minifernal procs. Come Shadowlands we’ll lose all that and suffer heavily if nothing is done.

The real problem, however, is the rest of the endgame features. The rest of endgame content are basically time trial content, M+ and Visions. None of the Warlock specs are actually any good at either of these, due to lack of mobility, not great or clunky AoE, and subpar utility (yes we have good utility, just not for M+ or visions). Demo is the best for M+ and even they aren’t desirable.

It’s not that Warlocks CAN’T do it, we absolutely can do high keys and solo 5 masks, it’s that it takes way more effort and is way more difficult to do compared to most other classes. Even having a pocket tank in Visions is not much of an advantage as VW and Felguard will die quickly there (not to mention VW can’t hold threat off of a Destro lock at all). For M+ you’ll be ok if you have your own group of friends to run with, but pugs will be very difficult to get groups with, and once you’re in it’s pretty easy to see why Warlocks generally aren’t wanted as you find your ramp up damage is ill suited to the fast paced nature of M+, and you won’t be able to do anything while moving, and you’ll need to move a lot.

Don’t let this discourage you from having fun with leveling, mind you. It’s ok to have fun, and we’re hoping beyond hope that SOMETHING will be done to fix Warlocks in Shadowlands, just be wary that we don’t mesh with endgame at all.

The problem is, at its core, all 3 warlock specs are actually very well designed and fun, BUT none of them actually mesh with the type of game WoW has become. Because of this, new time Warlocks find the class very enjoyable, very strong even. But the more you push with Warlock, the further in you get, the more glaringly obvious Warlocks flaws become. More so if you’re familiar with what other better classes can do, and even more so if you are a long time Warlock and know everything we’ve lost over the last few expansions. We used to be a solid class. Now we are functionally broken and rely entirely upon the expansions borrowed power system to try to fix our broken class. And let me tell you, when Shadowlands rolls around, a LOT of warlocks are going to feel the loss of our azerite powers, and it is going to feel AWFUL. Every class will to a degree but I daresay Warlock will be hit the hardest.

And our biggest fear? Nothing will happen as none of the devs main warlock, so in the process of testing, they’ll see what you do: a fun powerful class that feels good to play in leveling and low end content. They won’t see the problems only experienced warlocks do, and as such we won’t be fixed. Especially since Blizz has a long and consistent history of ignoring our feedback. Like, Destro warlocks had to have their entire resource system completely overhauled mid-Legion because they needlessly homogenized soul shards across all 3 specs and Destro was just not designed for that system. We told them it was bad and needed to be reverted all through the alpha and beta but nothing was done until iirc just before Nighthold was released. It took an entire raid for Blizz to notice what we had been telling them from the alpha.

Eh, sorry, I think I turned this into a bit of a rant. Just, go ahead and have fun with it, it’s the end of an expansion, after all, and is the perfect time to branch out and experiment with alts, just… be wary about the endgame.

11 Likes

no i greatly appreciate the insight. i get where you’re coming from and i agree… azerite powers and all that extra help we all got is going to be very obvious.

It’s a damn shame what you all are saying is true…

Warlocks with their lore, their look, what they are all about… man they deserve to be so much more. Just bizarre how the whole warlock community is bummed and pissed.

I’ll get this guy to 120 regardless, as i do want to have him in my back pocket, but yeah for now it is a good time.

I also ran 5 dungeons as Demo. The flow was a little better… still a bit strange to try and figure out the demon rotation and shi- but def more involved than Destro.

Still… Chaos Bolt.

just got my green fel fire on my destro lock yesterday, loving it!

1 Like

I think the fun tends to end for most classes when you ask what people think about the class in the forums.

:wink:

7 Likes

Since it is a strong spec there are people I imagine that find fun solely in that, but I preferred the Legion version where I had the portals and my Infernal had sons.

My favorite edition of Destro was actually Wrath of the Lich King though. People rarely talk about it but it was fun and I would love to go back to it. I miss instant Shadowfury, for one, though I think that lasted up until WoD or Legion (can’t remember when it was changed). This was before Soul Shards were changed to be like combo points, so Chaos Bolt had a cooldown but hit really hard.

It was a lot of fun to get huge Chaos Bolt + Conflag combos followed up with instant Incinerates and Shadowburns.

1 Like

keep playing it if it feels fun for you. The thing is that we were playing destro for a long time now, and the spec is basically the same since MoP (four expansions ago) fill bars with a weak spell (incinerate) and spend it in big nukes (CBs). This system is not necessarily bad but is getting old. At least dimensional Portals gave us a little variety in legion, but they took out that spell.

2 Likes

Exactly, if you’ve played any iteration of lock this is just dull and died down. Even Legion was a little bit more exciting with the portals and army of infernals. Ironically after defeating SARGERAS, we lose every ounce of power we’ve gained…lmaooo who makes this up.

8 Likes

haha you arent wrong so far… i kiiiiiiiinda get what you all are saying… but coming from Shadow Priest… im just glad to see some big damage.

If you like it now, it only gets better.

I played Affliction in Legion and they got hit even worse than destro lmfao. Without a doubt in my mind the worst spec in the game rn outside of raiding.

If only we had a developer play the class. Then decided not to have them fired because he actually talked to players and listened to feedback. OMG NOT ALLOWED! Don’t you dare try to make the game better! That’s grounds for FIRING cause you aren’t part of our clique and you don’t agree with our direction and dared to seek feedback to back up your point of view!

3 Likes