When did the community opinion on Calia change?

I know this is gonna be a insane take but I honestly think Order Halls should’ve replaced factions as a whole and shouldn’t have been left in Legion.

But that’s a whole other topic.

3 Likes

Take so hot it summoned Ragnaros KEKW

1 Like

Its really hot in the sense that I think Factions have crippled WoW’s story ever since MoP ended tbh.

I honestly think you should open a topic to talk abt this, if only not to derail the topic here, but also because I want to watch everything go on fire.

Get it?

1 Like

It’s so weird to me that people claim that the EB steals forsaken stuff, and at the same time get mad that they aren’t manic slapstick like the forsaken.

2 Likes

We’re kinda still waiting to see what Calia’s point even is.

So far she’s served mainly as the Forsaken’s ambassador to the Alliance which doesn’t bother me. The Forsaken kinda need a PR face and Lightbright gives them both that and regal legitimacy over their claims to Lordaeron. Her Holy magic stuff is frankly fine with me too as a Priest main. Seriously the Forsaken aren’t vampires and Light being anathema to them is lore that comes from a post Wrath Ask A Dev interview. The old CotFS lore was about balance between the Light and Shadow.

My main issue is she has a personality blander than whitebread and doesn’t seem to have a role worthy of all the effort they put into that unique model of hers. Maybe something will come up with the Arathi down the line but honestly we’re like 4 expansions in here and all she’s done is throw up some Power Word Shield & Fortitude and talked nice with the Worgen. Which frankly I could’ve done so where’s my fancy Prophecy armor remake, Blizz?

14 Likes

I liked their Legion Order Hall where they were basically Mini Scourge. You’ve a Lich kicking around, you go and reforge Frostmourne into two swords, you attack the Argent Dawn, you slaughter the Red Dragonflight and all the while the Lich King threatens to unleash his minions if you fail.

That was cool as they were proper anti heroes. But they’re usually depicted as noble soldiers burdened with a terrible duty. Which doesn’t strike that true when everyone to a man is running around with a soul eating blade and ongoing sadism dependence problem.

The Forsaken on the otherhand do have the one crime against creation weapon but tend to only use it due to it’s ability to be a win button. Othetwise they fight fairly conventionally albeit with giant bats and skeleton horses. They’ve farmers, artists, hobbyist gardeners, chefs, and at least one therapist.

Basically I’d depict the Forsaken as a nation of undead who’ve sort of redefined life and live as a part of Azeroth. And the Ebonblade as a neutral at best Scourge remnant that’s tolerated because they wouldn’t be easy to take down and are extremely useful when Azeroth needs all the help she can get.

Like we could make this more interesting and have like Archerus secretly have like Darkmaster Gandling in there. Or perhaps even Kel’Thuzad’s phylactery in some sort of stasis but decidedly not destroyed. The playerbase would know of course but canonically no non DK would.

9 Likes

Man I loved Legion

Scratch that, I liked Legion. I’m still salty about not getting the actual Frostmourne, and instead two toothpicks made out of it. Paladins got the Ashbringer, shamans got the Doomhammer and we can’t have the actual cool Frostmourne. Oh well, I suppose we were never going to have it one way or another.

To be fair that one is by Arthas’ design and one could argue that makes the soldiers more noble for trying to work with the crap hand they were dealt.

That’s the thing, the Forsaken are a full race, they have a chunk of territory to their own and enough bodies to have this kind of structure, meanwhile the Ebon Blade is more akin to a regiment of elite undeads. Their very principle is fully millitaristic. Granted, that doesn’t forbid them from developing their own culture, but with everyone there busy with warfare it becomes more secondary. This is a distinction I like a lot, actually. Forsaken get the ultra gothic themes and architecture, meanwhile the Ebon Blade is more like a remnant of the scourge fighting on Azeroth’s side.

Oh, we agree, how nice!

Honestly I’d like the phylactery thing. Reason being “We’d rather keep an eye on it ourselves rather than risk it getting on the wrong hands.” but of course the mere fact that they have it would make everyone raise their eyebrows in general worry at best and suspicion at worst.

6 Likes

The biggest failure was from the get go when Metzen tried to explain the forsaken, had the forsaken mini campaign in TFT, and the whole writer’s room went “oh you mean the scourge” (tft in general has been the most disregarded wc game by the wow team)

3 Likes

Right? That armor is incredible and she’s wasting it standing around being boring!

TFT being the most disregarded has a lot to do with the fact WC3 entirely was in development at the exact same time as WoW by the time TFT was being worked on it was a lot harder to get the plot points of it into a game that was only months away from being finished it was in it’s final stages by that point.

It’s a tragic fate of the Devs not properly communicating with the TFT team resulting in a lot of lore from TFT and characterization going out the window (the fact this kept happening is even worse all of TBC’s plot effectively only works if you ignore TFT.)

The only real benefit of Calia is convincing the idiot royals of the Alliance to draw down their repeated attempts at extermination of the Forsaken simply because they now have their own idiot royal in charge.

3 Likes

Funny how all it took was some idiot with the right name

6 Likes

…and the Alliance’s aggressive attempts had nothing at all to do with the Forsaken creating a bio weapon meant to destroy the living? Or its attempts at exterminating the remaining human population of Lordeaeron?

Like even Varian of all people was interested in containing Sylvanas by the end of SoO more so then war. Hell, Varian was even willing to tacitly work with the Horde(and by extension the Forsaken) in Wrath until the whole Wrathgate happened.

Yeah, the North fleet immediately attacking the Forsaken in Howling Fjord before the Forsaken even did anything really showed that spirit of cooperation and brotherhood.

4 Likes
  1. they only started “working” with each other after Malygos’ defeat. 2) the Alliance had plenty of beef with the Forsaken considering it was still fighting it at the time in Arathi. 3) it was grudging respect and the realization a victory for one was a victory for the other as well.

Would you like her on a train?
Would you like her in the rain?

Would you like her in a box?
Would you like her with a fox?

Would you like her on a boat?
Would you like her with a goat?

3 Likes

they MIGHT one day put some cottage cheese, sour cream, or mayonnaise on that white bread; but then again they may not, fearing that that would make her far too spicy and flavorful for some players.

7 Likes

I kinda liked the difference between DKs and Forsaken. I had hoped more of it would come out in the open.

When Sylvanas kidnapped Koltira, the DKs save him, and that was that. Wish we saw more of that. Koltira doesn’t want to talk about it - which is rather convenient.

Like if Koltira was nothing more than that one Human DKs damsel in distress.

Blood Elf Males always get a raw deal. If it wasn’t for Kaelthas’s hair, I don’t think Blood Elf Males would have a reason for existing.

3 Likes

Tied to the tracks, and secured with a heavy chain,
Only if the downpour announced that she had been slain.

Only if it was a coffin covered in the heaviest padlocks,
And secured to the bottom of Lordamere lake by rocks.

Preferably one that I knew couldn’t float,
And only if the Draenei punched her in the throat.

8 Likes