When did Stormwind become the capital city that most people base in?

As per the title people.

I know in Refail that SW was/is the capital city to base from, but back in '05 to '07 it was Ironforge.

Is this just habits from Refail or is there a reason we shifted ?

What was it that made Ironforge the main base in Vanilla ?

2 Likes

People will migrate to IF when they are in the endgame. As it is closer to endgame locations.

43 Likes

I went to Stormwind when it got an auction house. Ironforge is a terrible city.

10 Likes

When AH’s are not separated

3 Likes

You take that back. Ironforge is a national treasure.

34 Likes

dawning realization face
ooooooooh, how did that not click before now?

When it got a harbor, maybe?

I really wish only IF and Org had the auction houses.

7 Likes

It’s layout is just bad and Stormwind looks beautiful.

5 Likes

I know in TBC more people based in SW (or Shattrath and portal’d to SW) because getting to the Dark Portal was slightly faster.

It kind of shifted from IF to SW when BC came out from my recollection. I prefer IF by far.

2 Likes

Why, I’ll grant you classic Org is laid out great but Ironforge is just not.

1 Like

How does a loop confuse you?

22 Likes

Something about being indoors (Ironforge, Undercity) is very off-putting for people.

6 Likes

No but look at Stormwind for getting to mailbox bank and AH then look at places like Ironforge and Darnasus. SW is only choice. SW is also the best looking city in the game.

1 Like

I’m loving how we all ( myself included ) completely ignore Darnassus in these conversations lol.

It’s still a dead city btw, in Classic and Refail. I’ve seen people make Nelfs and head straight for goldshire to start questing there from level 1.

10 Likes

[citation needed]

5 Likes

I personally can’t stand SW, everything is so spread out ( aside from the AH - mailbox - inn thing ) and the canal crossing make it worse still.

Darnassus has similar issue to an extent, with lakes to swim across and too much back and forth.

7 Likes

YOU are terrible! Take it back. Now!

1 Like

Ironforge became the capital when the auction house was first introduced in Ironforge only. People stayed in that habit until they moved to Shattrath in BC.

Classic started at 1.12, where there are auction houses in all capitals, so Stormwind became the main base since humans are the most popular Alliance race.

4 Likes