When did Gnome democracy die?

Not quite. The Tinker’s Court held a competition, and who ever won that became the High Tinker. It wasn’t a democracy, you basically win a tinkering tournament and get named the new leader.

King of Gnomes was just a fancy title, and Well, the government of Gnomeregan doesn’t exist anymore.

During Operation: Gnomeregan, Mekkatorque admits he actually doesn’t have any authority over gnomes, they follow him solely because they choose to.

Before the High Tinker system, Gnomeregan was ruled by monarchs. Mechagon and Gnomeregan have effectively united under one King, restoring the monarchy.

4 Likes

No they wanted to reclaim territories that were taken away from them. There was no word on genocide, genocide is what was happening to themover centuries.

But apparently trolls cannot have any claims and have a grudge against their enemies, only humans and elves apparently.

That was indeed a fault but in BfA we learn that Zul acted against Rastakhan’s order. Kinda like Genn acted against Anduins order and attacked Horde while they were all trying to face the Legion. All Genn received was slap on wrist.

Why would Zandalari get worse treatment when Alliance doesn’t hold up to any standarts?

That is not true, Alliance already had their war campaign set where they attacked Zandalari warship and captured their captain long before Zandalari made any retaliation.

Or we don’t count war campaign for some unknown reasons?

5 Likes

When blizzard decided that an election every few expansions is an inconvenience to their gnome neglect.

1 Like

Around Cataclysm, I think, is when the actual king thing was pushed more. Whenever his story came about.

Even the Darkspear were against it. And currently Talanji is.

When?

Lorewalker Cho says: King Rastakhan tired of Zul and his troubling nightmares. To be rid of the prophet, he granted Zul the use of his largest ships, so that he and his followers could seek a new land if his visions came to pass.

Vol’jin says: King Rastakhan, he be plannin’ to unite da troll tribes under his Zandalari.

Princess Talanji says: At de time, Zul’s vision of a grand troll empire was very tempting to my father. I must commend your chieftain for seeing de bigger picture.

Does Rastakhan support what Zul and his followers are doing? I know he didn’t believe Zul’s visions at first, but now?

Fargo: Rastakhan was only humoring Zul until the Cataclysm struck. Afterwards, Zul commanded a lot of respect among the Zandalari. Rastakhan’s empire is sinking into the sea, and only Zul has a way out - I think he supports the prophet. We’ll see more of the Zandalari… someday!

5 Likes

We don’t know the actual details of Gnomish governance except that Gelbin is at the head of it. Same goes for most of the other nations under the Alliance and Horde, with a few exceptions.

2 Likes

I may be wrong, but when was it declared that the Alliance and Zandalar were at peace after, you know… everything the Zandalari did as an act of war against them? One might argue hostilities died down but as far as I know, they never ended.

And, if we’re honest, if the Zandalari weren’t going to be a Horde Allied Race, the Horde would’ve probably been fighting them harder and we wouldn’t be having this conversation attempting to paint either faction as aggressors.

2 Likes

Yeah it’s only like, what, two years between Blood in the Snow and capturing Talanji? And one of those years was the Legion invasion. I kinda figured for the Alliance the Zandalari War hadn’t ended yet.

Honestly you probably could make a case that the War against the Zandalari only ended with the treaty after the duel at Orgrimmar, the Horde just changed sides during the last year of it.

6 Likes

That’s my thinking as well. The Alliance seemed content enough to leave the Zandalari alone when there were bigger fish to fry, but trying to paint the Alliance as aggressors here just doesn’t quite fit. Like I said, if the Horde weren’t trying to recruit the Zandalari, they’d have just been Troll Raid #1340578104365.

No it would be Stormwind raid instead because Horde was more concerned about taking Alliance out.

Zandalari just like any other faction has their business and politics, and in Blood in the Snow Zandalari backed the opressed Frostmane tribe which was for years targeted by dwarves, their kids killed and thier possession stolen.

So Alliance doesn’t shy from assaulting and attacking and taking over what was not theirs.
And Zandalati also backed up Amani which were as much under constant assault from both Humans and elves.

I believe trolls deserve justice and they have a right to fight for it. It’s the narration that is all the time against them but if you look in the details it isn’t really that black or white as you paint it.

So I reiterate:
https://i.imgur.com/re1XIkm.jpg
Gelbin has had this title since Classic. He didn’t usurp any power, that’s just part of the High Tinker title.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Operation:_Gnomeregan#In-game_Mail

Lawyerbot 2000 informs me that I actually possess no legal authority whatsoever - over gnomes or otherwise - but still, you have to admit that sounded impressive!

1 Like

Always cool when the “good guy” faction asks you to go kill literal children so you can take over their lands.

3 Likes

The Alliance has no problem exterminating anything or anyone they consider to be Backwards and Savage But don’t you dare hold a grudge or vendetta against them…because Insert good guy reason why Horde bad and savage and backwards

5 Likes

That’s why Baine’s such a morally good person! He won’t hold a grudge against the Allaince no matter how many of his people they slaughter in cold blood!

3 Likes

Yes, because whelp has no other term than child.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/whelp?s=t

Seems pretty clear they’re called whelps in the derogatory term. They don’t use actual troll child models. Likewise, the Dwarves have only considered them a nuisance, while the Frostmane are described as very hostile to anyone.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Frostmane_tribe

So… I don’t really know what to say here. Nothing about them or their history ever indicates they were just peacefully living it up in Dun Morogh until the dwarves woke up. If anything it’s pretty clear they would’ve attacked the dwarves first, leading to conflict that ultimately ended with their defeat. Granted this is a problem with Trolls in general, most of the time.

4 Likes

In vanilla they were literally less than half adult sized models. They were kids.

And their lore notes they’re naturally smaller than the Darkspears Drakkari, so I don’t think its as clear-cut as that.

Little edit, I misread, ‘Drakkari,’ as, ‘Darkspear.’ Either way, they’re noted for being on the small side.

People should totally hold grudges and want bloodshed for the sake of it. Now that’s good!

1 Like

That’s because WoW trolls are a borderline-wankoff colonial fantasy - they’re ‘savage natives’ with all the old racist pulp trimmings of broken english and sacrificial altars that not only are provably inferior intellectually, culturally, technologically, and even theologically, but also unreasonably and maliciously start the fight first so the colonizer is just committing ‘self defense’ and probably could’ve shared the land peacefully if only the stupid vile brutes knew how to share so sad ah well :frowning: :frowning: welp time to settle my completely moral holdings.

11 Likes

I think they meant the Frostmane Whelps were half the size of the other Frostmane trolls, not when compared to Drakkari.

3 Likes

I don’t write the lore, I just read it. Besides, its so convoluted how does one even tackle something like land rights in this world anyways?

Is it who was there first? Well, Azeroth belongs to the Old Gods. We all need to get off.

Is it who had the first actual civilization? Again, Old Gods before Trolls. We need to go.

Is it the first benign civilization? Well, that one goes towards the Titans who built all those facilities. By extension that’d also apply to the races descended from Titans, such as Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Tol’vir, etc…

Is it the first naturally occurring civilization? Trolls finally win in a category. Or they would if there was any way to prove they could’ve occurred naturally without the Titans imprisoning the Old Gods.

Even ignoring all of this, how does one argue land rights in the modern era? Take Lordaeron. Does it belong to the Forsaken who once lived there but died and destroyed it in undeath? Does it belong to their living descendants? Does such a concept as a will and inheritance even apply to this specific case, or would such laws be inapplicable because the actual government that once existed which would’ve facilitated such things, is now gone?

About the only rule with land rights in this setting that makes any sense is, “If you’re strong enough to take it and hold it, it’s yours.”

2 Likes