What's the best CPU for wow?

I’m currently on a 1700x overclocked to 3.9ghz but I was looking at the i7-8800k since it has a much higher single core score. What do you guys think?

Ryzen 1700x? Upgrading over that seems utterly pointless right now unless you’re the type of person who obsessively upgrades his CPU every 1-2 years.

1 Like

The best CPU for WoW and gaming in general is the i9-9900k without question.

It’s also stupid expensive, so there’s that.

I’d recommend for new buyers either the Ryzen 5 2600 with an aftermarket cooler on the cheap end, and an i7-8700k or i7-9700k on the higher end.

Given you’ve already got the 1700x, I’d say just keep what you have an enjoy it.

3 Likes

Also the Ryzen Zen2’s are rumored to be coming out mid/late 2019 with the Zen3’s possibly in 2020 or so. At this point I would definitely wait a couple of years unless the OP has money to burn.

Also… also… WoW is starting to support multi-core usage as are other games in the immediate future.

1 Like

Honestly I wouldn’t even bother getting Zen+ or Zen 2 if you already have Zen 1, unless you got some low end stuff like a Ryzen 3 1200.

Skip a couple of generations at least to get your max. money’s worth.

2 Likes

9900K with a mobo that’ll support a high OC will be the best CPU until Zen2 comes out (per rumors). However, at that point the 9900K consumes more power than a threadripper.

The problem isn’t with CPUs in WoW. The problem is with the draw call limits and poor CPU scheduling of Windows.

Rumors always seem to have overshot in terms of Ryzen performance lately, so I will withold judgment on them until it happens.

That said, there’s no point in upgrading if you already have a decent Zen1 chip, which is why I hate the whole “b-b-b-b-b-but mah upgrade path!” garbage.

CPU upgrade would be fine if there is a high performance delta. I’d like to point out the massive performance deltas for next gen AMD chips are for server chips (already in hands of people). No clue if AMD will carry the same level of benefits to desk chips. If they do, don’t expect dirt cheap chips.

Wow gets much better performance with software making better use of existing hardware. Linux already multi-threads better. With the new changes to use better use the GPU we’re going to see nice perf gains (assuming game stops crashing :stuck_out_tongue: ).

Wait for 8.1 and the multithreading update and see how you do before spending any money.

Just un update on 8.1 multi threading which lovelight mentioned. I’m decently happy with improvements. Though I really think they could have pushed for more XD

seeing like a 10-30 fps increase atm :slight_smile:

What kind of FPS are you guys seeing?

In Boralus before the patch I was around 80-120, now it’s like 140+, in the open world it’s 200-300. I haven’t done any world bosses or stuff like that due to toxic players but I imagine it’s better. I7 8700k OC and ROG STRIX 1080TI GPU.

1 Like

How do you get 300 fps? The UI slider has a limit of 200fps.

you just shut that off.

You dont have to use the max FPS slider.

unless there’s 300hz monitors i’m unaware of whats the point

1 Like

Nothing, i imagine. For twitch based shooters its still good because of reaction times, but thats about it. And WoW aint that.

2 Likes

likely the i5-8600k and above.

likely either editing the config file or using console to bypass it.

the game has much mroe settigns that just what the UI actually shows.

Or you just click the little radio button and shut off the frame limiter. Its really that easy.

It’s a ROG Swift monitor, it’s overclocked to 165hz but according to Elvui’s system readout it does shoot up over to 300 at times in the open world. Unless it’s a display bug with Elvui. In Overwatch is silky smooth but I turn the fps indicator off there to maintain more screen real-estate.

Might want to limit the fps to the refresh of your monitor to save your GPU some unnecessary stress.

I limit mine in game to 144, if I don’t, in old workd areas it will shoot up past 300 and the GPU will be loud af and the display doesn’t show them anyway.

I’ll have to take another look/see at the temps in wow when it happens but Overwatch drives the GPU more than wow could ever dream of and there it barely reaches 65c even in tense situations. :smiley: