What's the best CPU for wow?

4670k @4.7GHz for almost 4.5 years is still going plenty strong :D!

So honestly anything with 4 or more cores for the new CPU optimizations will be more than sufficient for WoW at the very least.

1 Like

I need to test it on my son’s 8350k, which is also a 4/4.

Will report back.

Provided you can get to the same clocks 9900k would be exactly the same as a 8700k or probably even 8600k.

I’ve got it at 4.8 - it needs way too much voltage to get higher.

even if mine is OC to 5Ghz?

I mean I’m not gonna waste money on 9900k just for WoW… because I know i’m not gonna get that much difference and I know that from the past.

I have 2 PC’s 1 using 7700k and the other 8700k both OCed to 5 Ghz I can not see any difference between them… I’m using 1080ti also on them both.

There is actually 0 difference.

They are have pretty much the same performance at the same speeds using the same number of cores. WoW made multithreading changes to 8.1 but your only getting about 50% benefit from a 2nd core. 8700k, 7700k, 9900k whichever has the highest Ghz is faster. AMD will trail slightly but its not anywhere near unplayable.

Personally if I were buying RN, I wouldn’t get anything less than a 4/8 or a 6/6.

WoW may not care about the threads but other games will.

Just get dual Z80’s. You will save a ton of money vs Intel or AMD cpus

i5 4570, 2x 4gb DDR3, GTX770, Windows 7. What should I look at as an upgrade path? Game just runs like trash now. I noticed I was at a 6 last year for recommended, and now its down to 4.

I’m leaning towards Windows 10 and a 1060x6gb OR keep the o/s and go 1070Ti (locally either option is about $500CAD.)

Or keep my trusty old 770 and start the major rebuild (cpu/mobo/ram).

Opinions appreciated.

How much are you wanting to spend?

I don’t want to break the bank. I’m glad the crypo-craze has burst but up here in Canada we are gouged.

I received a $350 CAD gift card to the local place (memory express, Edmonton) and I could add another $350 CAD. That would keep my budget comfortable.

Thanks again.

I live in the US and had a long time gaming friend that lives in Edmonton who needed some PC advice.

He went with an i5 8400, 16GB RAM, motherboard and a 1060 3GB for around that price I believe. He was torn between the Ryzen 2600 and the Intel 8400 but the Intel had a better deal at the time.

imo adjust settings and wait until zen2/navi in a few months

A quick search and I found my Windows 10 key, so that saves me $120 CAD.

I just looked at the i5 8400. Its $270 CAD. My question would be the motherboard selection the local place has. I have always leaned towards Asus products, the mobo they have is only $79 ( B250 MINING EXPERT w/ DDR4 2400, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit LAN, 19x PCI-E Slots). Are these boards stable? Their selection for 1151 seems slim. Is 1151 a dead socket now?

I built my son a budget gaming rig a few years back (i3 6100/1060) and this i5 8400 looks like his upgrade for sure. Good heads up, thanks.

EDIT: I game on a 22" Monitor. LG 22EA53

No, 1151 is still the socket that is being used, but there’s one that only works for 7000 and prior and one for 8000 and 9000 (rev2)

poor friend…

the 3gb version isnt even same card as 6gb (and im not talkign just memory difference).

better choice was to go to AMD’s side as at that point the perfornace isnt worth the cost.

no.
1151 is most up to date one.
but they are not all compatible with every chip.

iirc the 8th and 9th gen wont work properly in older 1151 boards normally (there are bios and windows tweaking to get aroudn this i think) and other boards need bios updates to work.

for build compatibility use a site like pcpartpicker system builder as it warns you about incompatibility between parts. (dont need buy em there just select parts u plan and see if theres any issues)

1 Like

Nothing wrong with the 3gb 1060 except for the naming convention.

It’s pretty close to the RX 570 in performance.

1 Like

yup, only thing you may run into is some vram issues in newer games, but for wow that’s not really a problem.

Now as to 1060 6g vs 580 8g, the 580 wins that one. 6g 1060s are around 260 while the 580 out performs them for 219ish, honestly you’re almost better finding the extra few bucks for a 580 over a 1060 3g too, if you plan on playing more then wow. The 570 isn’t really worth it.

1 Like

Oh I told him to get something different. He didn’t want an AMD card and nothing else was within his budget.

I don’t think he even plays at 1080p, just wanted an upgrade from his AND 5670.

1 Like

eh, for the most part at the resolutions/texture resolutions where the VRAM starts becoming an issue, the GPU is too slow to support it anyway VRAM notwithstanding.

I disagree, though…the RX 570 is absolutely worth the $140-150 price tag it has been selling for.

If you need to get into the game now, but want to save your money for whatever is coming in 2019, I’d get that.

1 Like