Whats it take to get a bot removed?

Ive been camping TLPD for a while now. There’s a character (name removed) sitting at the ulduar spawn point literally 24x7 bot spamming a macro. He’s been reported 10-50x per day, yet he’s still there. Hes sitting there right now clearly AFK, as part of his macro is to fetch and he doesn’t have any pets deployed. He killed the last vyragosa and wasn’t able to loot because he’s afk and his pets arent out.

It couldn’t be more clear that this dude is botting, that he’s afk and that he’s an annoyance to the community. Can someone explain why it takes so long to get action on this clear violation of terms?

A thorough investigation to verify that a) the player is botting beyond a shadow of a doubt* and b) how to identify said bot without a doubt and break it. These things, unfortunately, take time.

I recommend removing the name, incidentally; callouts are against the Code of Conduct.

*I know that it strongly looks that way, but looks can and have been deceiving before. This isn’t intended as an insult towards your observational skills at all, but Blizzard generally requires more proof than observational data to make sure that there’s no reasonable doubt.

4 Likes

I’m with you Shazta! t’s totally unreal how far this guy has gotten with spam botting and nothing has been done in light of all the reports we’ve been throwing out at him. Totally unfair to be cheating to get one of the most sought after mounts in WoW!!

thanks, i took the name out

2 Likes

No problem! But yeah, these things take time, and it’s ultimately better for the game if everyone using a given bot is removed at once rather than piecemeal. The latter gives the bot makers a chance to adjust their product and make it harder to detect.

2 Likes

its been a looooooooooooooooooooooong time. same exact spot, same exact actions. completely unresponsive. there shouldve been something done by now. a poke test, a nudge test, something.

not sure why its taking THIS long

Because Blizzard takes their time and investigates, dot’s the I’s and crosses their T’s, so there is no mistake that the individual is botting. These things take time.

6 Likes

that doesnt take literally weeks.

2 Likes

It should be noted that Blizzard isn’t in the habit of taking action against individual bots (if they are botting), as that might tip the bot maker off about what caused the detection, so the bot maker would modify their methods.

Blizzard instead bans in waves after a thorough investigation. It can indeed take weeks to determine what is going on, how they can break the functionality, and issue the ban wave.

5 Likes

Actually, it takes as long as it take for Blizz to study the bot. Also, while you’re convinced that it’s a bot, that doesn’t mean you’re right. Blizz take a whole lot more into consideration including behind the scenes data.

Blizz also doesn’t tend to play wack-a-mole with bots. They study them and then action everyone using it. It’s a much more efficient way to handle them.

7 Likes

This is definitely someone botting while afk. That being said your response makes more sense. its still demonstrably frustrating. Thanks for the insight.

1 Like

Totally understandable. If it makes you feel better, next time you hear about a ban wave, hang out in these forums for a bit. The “stories” about how they weren’t botting, it was their cat/kid/wife/pet iguana/etc. are delightful.

5 Likes

hehe.

well if anyoen from blizz wants to see this dude in action, we took videos and he can be found at the coordinates mentioned in the original post in The Storm Peaks zone, Khadgar server group.

If you have a link for the video, you can also e-mail that to hacks@blizzard.com

It’s a one-way e-mail address, but the team there would also take a look at it. And thanks for doing your best to help keep the game clean!

2 Likes

I would also edit out the coordinates. If you want, you can email anything to hacks@blizzard.com . Videos are rarely used, the in game logs are usually more extensive and have all the evidence Blizzard could need. Right click once should be all that you need to get that information to the right hands, and it may take a while.

The last thing anyone would want is to have someone get into trouble for harassment because a lot of curious players went to the location, and started testing the player for bot activity. Only to have them come here and complain about the ongoing harassment he is now receiving.

2 Likes

done, thanks for the feedback. Hope justice is done here.

2 Likes

I usually don’t pop into a thread if all the correct information is being shared by others but I did want to stop in and say thanks for reporting and thanks to everyone who provided instruction :slight_smile:

14 Likes

thank you for responding :slight_smile: this is beyond frustrating, but we understand that it takes time.

3 Likes

thanks, I have sent the email with details

1 Like