What's epic about 20 man raids?

So, according to OP, a 40-man raid just standing still hitting a dragon with no mechanics whatsoever besides “don’t stack on the tank” and “don’t stand behind it” for 5 minutes is epic, but a 20-man raid running all around the arena managing several mechanics at a time that can be stuff like preventing room-wiping explosions, or maximizing terrain accessibility, or CCing a mind control to prevent killing raid members is dull and uninteresting

I wonder if they also thinking watching paint dry on an entire wall is more interesting than watching someone draw a work of art on a small tablet

2 Likes

Yeah it is, though a lot of people bring less than 40 (like 20 or 25 ppl is fine), whereas while you can do other raids with under 40 it is pretty rare to see them setup that way on purpose.

Loot being rare is a feature. The more common loot is the less valuable it is.

No PvE encounter will ever be really difficult - they are always tuned to be completed, that’s the nature of PvE.

I don’t mind running around and doing stuff I just don’t think it makes an encounter epic. I don’t mind if we make 40 people run around and do stuff and only 1% of the population clears the content - that would be good design in my view. It would be epic and the few that complete it would have done something a little more worthy.

What I care about is that the pve content at the very least feels epic.

If you want to test your skills, top tier pvp is the only place to do it in this game.

1 Like

Nah im a 10 man enjoyer. I like to actually know the people i raid with rather than just be their business associate In WoWs history, 10 mans have been tuned harder than 20 mans and 20 mans culled a lot of bads out of raids.

Simple solution, flex raids. They already have the tech. You want 40 great, you want 20 great! Run with who you want to run with.

1 Like

flex would actually be the best solution to this vast disagreement between 40/20mans debates. what i find absolutely comical is if they were to implement flex raids i would bet my entire life that via data/WCL would show that 90%+ of any raid ran would show in favor of 20man flex > 40man flex. 40man flex would be near completely dead lol.

Apparently not within Classic:

I question if that is a can’t or a won’t.

I would say a “can’t*”, with the asterisk suggesting turning your focus toward “cannot currently exist in Original WoW.”

The post mentions difficulty, feasibility, theoretical probability of what can and can’t be done within the season; in this instance, things like cutting 40-man raids down to 20-man. That having been said, a TBC server has existed for ages that not only converted and refitted all TBC content around 5-man level 70 groups(with it actually being pretty decently balanced, from what I’ve seen), but has converted and refitted a good deal of vanilla content, of varying original group size, to work perfectly fine for a 5-man level 70 group. This was done by a small handful of people, as well.

This goes to show it’s by no means impossible to shrink a 40-man down to even a 5-man, let alone a 20-man. The issue that lies herein is that SoD has a time table, a budget, and a specific amount of devs(that may not exactly be the “A” team). If it takes them the entirety of P1 to fix a warrior’s Deep Wounds to function as the original version instead of the Wrath version, then yes, I see coding something like flex raiding into the game as being completely unfeasible for SoD. Classic+, maybe, but SoD, highly unlikely.

Considering how hard SoM flopped? :rofl:

3 Likes

Fixed this for ya.

nobody felt QA20 is better than AQ40.

1 Like

Right so like I said it’s just a matter of tuning not that 40 man Naxx actually had anything that made in intrinsically harder.

I will laugh in all the Classic Try-Hard’s faces when SoD population is rocking along just fine with MC 20 as we remember how SoM failed miserably at that point. It will be glorious.

2 Likes

You use three different characters to talk crap about a game you told everyone you wouldn’t play

Id seriously stop throwing rocks Mr glass house.

You’re an embarrassment.

2 Likes

Vanilla raids literally have the same amount of mechanics as UBRS

Personally I would want to do them as 20 man to make them at least a bit of a challenge. You don’t need 40 people to clear those.

To be fair… SoM had terrible timing. They released it after a lot of people had been burnt out from Classic Already. Then it was paired with the release of TBCC. Releasing Naxx and Sunwell at the same time also didn’t sit well with a lot of people.

Also, increasing raid difficulty without adjusting classes just reinforced the existing meta. If you think your class wasn’t getting invited to raids in Classic, there was an even less chance of getting invited to them in SoM.

Had they released SoM now, and added even a small amount of class tuning, I think it would be a success.

I thought it was pretty well documented at this point that the vast majority of people who play Classic want easy content that rewards them the best stuff.

The Classic community is downright hostile to difficulty increases.

20 man SoD MC is not going to be a challenge :expressionless:

1 Like

no, that’s retail players with their ez mode raid finder raids :expressionless:

IMHO Raid size does not matter. It is how the dungeon and encounter is designed that matters.

The question is can they convert a 40 man instance into a 20 man instance and make it still feel as epic.

Also as somebody who actually did 40 mans all the way through naxx I can tell you there is nothing special about them compared to the smaller raids in BC and onward.