What Would You Consider the Last ‘Good’ Expansion?

I don’t think there was anything wrong with the early versions of this. Heroic 5 mans in tbc were at the very least, challenging. Yeah you could get full epics with just heroics and the badge gear but the epics weren’t really that far up from the blues in the dungeons.

Sunwell badge gear was awful and if I had a choice for ‘ONE’ change if tbc classic ever hit, it would be to murder that npc that sold that stuff.

1 Like

The only ‘good’ expansion for me (in the sense that it didn’t make the game worse) was TBC. Wrath was a bit of a stumble but I figured they’d recover… how wrong I was.

I liked Vanilla, Wrath, MoP, and Legion.

Every other expansion has been pretty good. I loathed TBC, Cata, WoD, and BFA.

1 Like

WotLK. I had a great time PvPing at the end of MoP though.

Yea around the end.
Still had to put some effort in.

None. There have been no “good expansions”. TBC still had enough of the old game left in it to be considered all right. But flying, arenas and gheto purples really took away from the game.

Although TBC did have one very redeeming moment and that was the Isle of QD. It put everyone back in the world for a brief moment.

WotLK. It went way, way down hill after.

MOP was ok but only the last few months. I enjoyed timeless isle, that was about it.

MoP.

Cata was so-so.

Wrath was excellent.

TBC was bad.

So, really Wrath & MoP were the two best times.

I don’t see what’s wrong with arenas tbh. Flying was detrimental sure, and the ghetto purples weren’t great either, but arenas were fun.

Burning Crusade.

WotLK added the dungeon queue, added championing in place of “specific factions care about specific enemies,” and concluded the final raid with “you get to watch Tirion Fordring demonstrate that he’s always been stronger than the Lich King!” The game died there, it just took a little while to stop twitching.

1 Like

Wrath for sure. Great raids, good dungeons, and after two rounds of updates classes felt well- rounded and improved from Vanilla while still actually maintaining their identities.

Cata was a huge misfire, and by the time I was fighting enraged anime carrots in the first MoP dungeon it was pretty clear the game was never going to reclaim its greatness. With that said, while I despised MoP, in retrospect I think the PvP balance and some of the class tweaks were under appreciated.

There are no good vertical expansions.

2 Likes

For PvP? MoP.

Overall? WOTLK.

Wrath was the last xpac where the game actually felt like World of Warcraft.

1 Like

i think if they had made tbc a full 60 levels with land masses as big as azeroth, it would’ve been even better. new landmasses in expacs are too small, comparative to azeroth and the dungeons are also much smaller and less mechanically interesting. but consider they were treating expacs as additional content added to vanilla, and as a result, didnt feel the need to make something comparable to vanilla as an addition to vanilla.

vanilla, 10 chars

Wrath up to Ulduar. Things started to turn down with ToC IMO.

For me it was Vanilla, TBC, and Wrath up to Ulduar. The worlds were deep, the content engaging and challenging.

The classes didn’t feel homogenized, and each role was important. I didn’t get to play much cata or MOP. Didn’t really enjoy WoD much at all. Legion had tons of content and good story, but the group play was boring for me compared to Vanilla, TBC and WoTLK.

Great? Vanilla, TBC, Wrath
decent Legion

3 Likes

MoP.

Everything since has been crap.

MoP was my last one I enjoyed… Class pruning, etc sucked.

I wish blizz would have kept the core values of Vanilla WoW and just added expansions instead of gimping and getting rid of so much stuff.

Imagine WOTLK without LFG. I wish the MMORPG elements (ammo for hunters, food for pets, soul shards for locks, ankhs, seeds, portal stones, etc) stayed in the MMORPG. cause I dont even classify BFA as an MMORPG

1 Like

I would say Wrath. I didn’t actually like TBC very much and I feel like it should have come after Wrath. Northrend made more sense as a next step.