What Would You Consider the Last ‘Good’ Expansion?

Even if it’s BFA, that’s fine too. Just wanted to hear everyone’s opinion. For me the last expansion which I both loved and that I played at launch was Cataclysm. Zones were still absolutely inspired, quests were still fun, and dungeons were top notch. Quality of life changes, imo, still hadn’t gotten out of hand.

I do have to give a nod as well to MoP (I know unpopular opinion) just for the sheer beauty of the music and zones. To be fair I didn’t play it when it was new content, only after I rejoined years later after a long hiatus. And I definitely agree with most that MoP’s dungeons were mostly a mess.

What do you all think?

2 Likes

The last expansion in which I was still enthralled was Wrath.

The last expansion that I considered “good” was Cataclysm.

32 Likes

I loved TBC and WoTLK, I didn’t like Cata, then I enjoyed MoP, but i’m very into the whole oriental aesthetic. everything following has been meh…

17 Likes

Really good? MOP.

Playable? WOD.

9 Likes

Last really good expac was Wrath.

Nothing’s come close afterwards, except for some elements of Legion.

40 Likes

Wotlk up to Ulduar I really liked the push mechanics to enable harder modes and wish they had of stuck with that line of development rather then a full separate mode.

29 Likes

WotLK because (aside from the Naxx revamp) they mostly added to the game. Cata was weird for me, played it because it had content, but it didn’t feel like it added to the gameplay, it just changed a bunch of stuff. Last decent ones? MoP because of the setting and Legion because of the amount of content. But as far as actual expansions that added stuff on top of the previous game and not just Blizzard going “Ok, so for these next 2 years we want yall to test these ideas for us, next 2 years we’ll think of something else” I’ll say definitely Wrath of the Lich King.

8 Likes

Wrath was the last good one IMO.

Legion was playable, at least more so than Cata, MoP, or WoD.

6 Likes

peaked at WOTLK.
story really ended there as far as i was concerned.

46 Likes

Good…I’d say MoP. Pales in comparison to what came before it, but I didn’t entirely hate it. WoD I didn’t even buy for like 6 months because of the flying debacle. But I did end up having fun in Tanaan Jungle. That was about the only thing I liked in that expansion. Legion I despised, and BfA is horrid.

5 Likes

TBC. While I enjoyed a lot of things in Wrath, the last patches added too many features that I disliked (Big catch up mechanics, LFG, several nerfs)

15 Likes

I enjoyed most vanilla to WoTLK.
Some of CaTa, legion, and some BFA.

It’s not as addictive as vanilla was on any of them. TBC was close but then went down from there.

Catch-up doesn’t help in my opinion.

If they have went horizontal you would not need a catch-up. You had have a cap on ilvl of gear and level.

They could of add more without going up.

As in attunements to get to certain locations, certain raids, I believe something like BFA to unlock races/classes (was actually a good idea for rpg bad part I would not announce it).

Instead of going up make different utilities for each gear and ilvl per difficulty of quest, area, dungeons, and raids.

Ppl would have kept going doing exploring, quest, unlocking new and exciting things, raids, and other various things.

I believe catchup things trivialize what ppl did to get to where they are in the game.

2 Likes

My last favorite xpack in every aspect was tbc. My most favorite for pve was definitely wrath and mists for pvp. The pvp in wrath stunk and the pve was just so boring in mop.

1 Like

WOTLK, which I also consider the pinnacle

18 Likes

Some expansions had good periods, and some had large portions being good (Mists of Pandaria for example). But the last one I considered good from start to finish was Wrath, but it was the beginning of all the problems. Once they wrapped up Arthas’s story - which was the last major story they hadn’t resolved yet from WC3 - it seemed like they kind of ran out of steam.

7 Likes

Legion (7.3), but the 3 before that weren’t good. Only expansion since Wrath that hooked me. BFA is alright.
A lot of the hate for retail seems to be from the older expansions and not actual retail.
-LFR hate is just laughable because I dont know anyone that actually uses LFR to claim they completed the raids.

-LFD hate is even more laughable because you stop using it within a few hours of maxing level.

-Flying? I’m so used to my ground mount now, I forget to fly in the old continents.

Don’t get me wrong, there are still issues with retail.

2 Likes

Wraith was a trip, the ‘welfare’ currency system for gear came as a result to much griping over terrible RNG and gearing alts/swapping mains being horrendous. My votes goes to WOTLK, granted once they condensed the 10m and 25m raids to one lock…I and many others were displeased.

During that time Blizz was getting harsh criticisms for being too addicting and making players feel like they NEEDED to play more and do everything every week… Terrible times, addiction is addiction no matter how you slice it a psychological issue, don’t hate the game hate the society that made the player choose a game over life.

3 Likes

Burning Crusade. While I enjoyed Wrath, I also remember it for the start of the end, the dungeon finder.

13 Likes

Wrath. Plenty of things I’d change if it were to be re-released but i enjoyed it the most (vanilla is a close second).
Cataclysm, if it hadnt been overtuned out of the gate, would have been a strong contender. Loved the questing, the story (even though we started getting into the “god amongst men” vibes here), the general ascetic. I hated the heroics. Class stacking was required and if your rig couldn’t pull 40+ FPS then you could miss an interrupt and wipe the party.
When they did cataclysm timewalking recently i went and did some stuff and i noticed missing mechanics on bosses and gentler mechanics on other bosses (increased cast times, not needing to coordinate interrupts, etc).

Wrath was the last one that had community. Losing that in Cataclysm made it the first “bad” one, though MoP held my attention for longer than Cata, but it didn’t recover.

4 Likes