What would a Bard class be for you?

What do you know, a bard that has been around in warcraft for quite a while.

1 Like

I think of playing any other class than it. Has to be the lamest idea I’ve ever seen for a class. Hated them in final fantasy.

3 Likes

I know a lot of people really like the idea of having this class available. But I must admit the things I see floated as to how this class would play make it seem like an incredibly stupid class to me.

Just my opinion and I’m guessing I’m in the minority because there seems to be plenty of support for it.

1 Like

While DnD is a good representation of Bards, the game is defined by storytelling between the DM and it’s players. Bards are generally terrific storytellers, the system fits them perfectly.

It’s hard to transition that to video games, which are a lot more linear by nature.

EverQuest bard.

Buff bots with mediocre dps to make up for the utility.

They’re mandatory in any group or raid.

3 Likes

I’d rather see Bard move back to a more first edition D&D style where they are more of a Druidic tradition. They cast nature spells by singing the rythem of the universe. No instruments, just blunt weapons. With a ranged control/buff/damage spec. A heal spec and melee spell damage spec. Basically vanilla Shaman but nature instead of elements and a bit of druid thrown in.

Ranged dps that focus on controlling enemies with things like entangling roots and calling on insects and animals to do damage and buffing those animals as well as your allies.

Then a heal spec that mends by calling on the very soul of the universe to right what is wrong.

And a melee spell damage that uses brute force of blunt weapons and discordant song to amplify their strikes.

I have never understood how Bard would work as a class… You play a musical note and mysteriously heal allies or buff them, or damage them? How in the world does that make sense. I guess I understand the buff thing, but Idk about anything else. (But I guess it is a fantasy and magic game so anything is possible)
If anyone knows of any MMO’s with Bards as a playable class and could link some gameplay I’d like to see how it plays out.

1 Like

I imagine a similar “modus operandi”, except that would be just one of the three possible specs…the healer, in particular.

To the OP and everyone else…why not introduce a character class much like a paladin or druid? Meaning, a healer spec, a tank spec, and a dps spec…all of whom incorporate music and/or chanting in their routines. The tank could chant or recite bawdy poetry to aggro the enemy, while a healer/spell caster bard could sing to produce their spells.

Accordion Thief in Kingdom of Loathing?

I think of “Spellsinger”

When I think Bard, I think of an itinerant musician singing for his supper. Yeah, he probably has a short sword and a dagger to fight off bandits on the road as he wanders from place to place and maybe a low level spell or two up his sleeve like ‘glib tongue’ and ‘aural enthrall’ to put a little extra in his voice but that’s about it.

You could have 3 specs of Bards:

Rock Bards: Healer. Makes you feel invincible with a long cooldown. Gives you bonus attack power, and one secondary ability. Gives a buff to party members that makes them resistant to sound and vibration attacks.

Drummer Bards: Tank. Intimidates and terrifies the enemy. Slows down attackers, and buffs party members. “It is awesome”.

Dubstep Bards: DPS. Hurts the ears of enemies. Gets them confused. Apply dots like disgust, motion sickness. Have a cooldown “everybody shuffling”, in which after making all enemies in a radius dance like idiots, the low health ones just kill themselves in shame.

1 Like

What would a Bard class be for you?

Incredibly superfluous and dumb.

The person who mentioned Everquest hit the nail on the head, their only real purpose in that was having one during raids in Hate/Fear whatever. I tried playing one solo, in that game, got so incredibly bored with how weak it was alone (went with my wood elf druid instead, which was fun.)

I don’t see it fitting Wow at all. It would basically just mess up raiding, like in Everquest, because they’d have to tune the difficulty of raids assuming that a bard would be in it doing whatever “buff” song for everyone; So then you’d feel like you’d need at least one bard raider, like in EQ.

1 Like

Tell us how you REALLY feel about dubstep… :laughing:

That would be terrible, if you made it just like Everquest…but this isn’t EQ, is it? Blizzards developers could make it completely different.

dolly and dot theme song on repeat.
And doing massive damage.

2 Likes

I fully support a musical camp class.

I would also like a fiat financing class. We don’t really use physical weapons, more Like the school of ‘‘paper pushing’ magic’

We load our victims with debt and spread usury across the lands. We hyperinflate the currency to rob opponents of their savings. We will have body guard pets let’s call them ‘state sponsored’ that destroy all threats toward us.

A bard class to me would be heavy metal guitar riffs, with turntables and 90’s rap, to fantasy music like Warcraft or Lord of the rings. I see tinkers becoming a class before bards though.

I’d love for it to fill a support role however that isn’t something WoW has anymore. So I think the 3 spec breakdown would be: tank, healer, dps or healer, melee dps, ranged dps.

The beauty of bard is that they are so versatile in a lot of fantasy settings. The ranged DPS could be a mixture of a ranged weapon so hunters have a class to share their ranged weapon options with and magical spells similar to mage/priest. While the melee or tank would be focused on dual wielding, spells, and dance maneuvers. Then healer focusing mainly on spells with a few options from tank and ranged dps.

The brown note and damage by sound is a thing.