What Was Your "Hell" Spot in Vanilla?

Back when you played vanilla was there a particular area or zone that you had a love/hate relationship with because of the challenge it presented you?

For me, it was the murloc camps in the wetlands. It seemed I was always aggroing groups of them and dying while doing quests. I hated that area, yet I can’t wait to go back there while leveling in classic. A close runner up would probably be tiptoeing around Raven Hill Cemetary in Duskwood.

1 Like

Furbolg cave in Night Elf starting zone. Absolutely hated that place.

Great zone after that, tho.

9 Likes

Tanaris. That desert just went on and on.

Though, looking forward to seeing it again with ‘fresh’ eyes.

4 Likes

On the far side of the bridge leading from Wetlands to Arathi Highlands, there is a camp of Dark Iron Dwarfs.

I forget exactly which quest had me go over there or what exactly I was doing, but I remember that no matter what I did, I was physically unable to clear the camp to get to the objective before mobs started respawning. Or if I did start killing them as fast as I could, I’d often pull too many and die.

That one spot killed me probably a dozen times, not counting the corpse-hopping I was forced to do to get out of the center of the camp to safety.

3 Likes

Desolace. Hated everything about that zone.

11 Likes

Exact same feeling I had with Tanaris.
For some reason, I always hated going to The Hinterlands too, but can’t explain why.

Oddly enough, I found Desolace to be rather peaceful/relaxing.

Just after I hit 40 was a real mess, couldn’t find a good spot to level. Ended up in the Badlands, around the entrance to Uldaman. Few quests, under powered, still rocking mail.

Was playing a Paladin, might have had something to do with it. Can’t wait to go back and tear up the Badlands!

1 Like

Winterspring.

I love the atmosphere of Winterspring. Very calming, and easy on the eyes. Also seeing “icecaps” everywhere which makes me think of Tim Horton’s.

But… that reputation grind with those darn Furbolgs that won’t spawn. I NEED THE SHAMAN FURBOLGS, NOT THIS WHITE ONE. PLEASE BLIZZARD.

5 Likes

Yeah, it was tough. How many times did you die trying to get those four chests?

Me and another druid did it and we didn’t die last time, but damn.

That cave is just absolutely awful. Those chest and the crazy respawn times. Although, that wasn’t on official servers, so those probably sucked even worse than usual.

How about grinding in WPL for Argent Dawn rep for Naxx? Ugh!

2 Likes

That welcome bear should show you awful that zone will be. lol

1 Like

I swear whoever designed Tanaris had “Horse With No Name” on loop.

5 Likes

I burn out super hard 30-50.

1 Like

Pretty much any cave in that area is hell, the spider cave, the grell cave, and especially… the barrow dens >.<

1 Like

Wetlands in general I hated. Also Badlands. I spent entirely to much time there trying to get brokentooth. Such an ugly zone

none every zone was great.

1 Like

Any Murloc camp. Yes, I love Murlocs, think they are adorable and memorable…but they are always in huge groups and hit HARD, especially back in the old days.

Otherwise, I’d say a close second was the run through the gauntlet that was taking a level 1 Night Elf from Teldrassil to Stormwind.

2 Likes

Guess I’m weird in that I loved the desert maps in Vanilla. I have always liked deserts in video games, but never felt many games got them “right”. In WoW, deserts feel like they actually are expansive. Uldum was fun.

2 Likes

Demons in winterspring.