What was the point of Tyrande in SL?

First mistake. Revenge/Vengeance as a motive represents a form of justice. It was Blizzard’s decision to say that revenge is evil, which is definitely not true per se.

Revenge without proportionality is a problem. But revenge as a pure concept is a form of punishment, and punishment after an offense is a form of justice. So Tyrande had to fail because Blizzard tried to build this idiotic message but epically failed at it.

4 Likes

Well, I don’t think they’re saying revenge in general is bad. I think they’re saying revenge against a neutralized threat is bad. Which is different.

Like, there’s a big difference between evening a score because it feels good vs. taking somebody out because you think they will cause more evil.

Just because Sylvanas feels bad now the threat is pase?

2 Likes

Because her political and cosmic power was removed. Sylvanas pretty much had nothing by the time of of the trial when she had the rest of her soul returned to her and she turned against the jailer.

That’s not something a person who is a threat/wants to win would do.

1 Like

Is her “cosmic” power really removed? is she now weaker again and pre maw? We do not know all this.

3 Likes

Oh gimme a break with your Hollywood justice

5 Likes

Well we do though. Her power was borrowed from the jailer.

Well this is a videogame sir so idk what your angle is, lol.

1 Like

And Tyrande received her powers from Elune, but even after the ritual it was said that actually what we mortals tried to do would have failed without Elune’s involvement and that Elune ultimately decided that Tyrande could live on, nothing we did was relevant in regard to the night warrior.

Overall, we don´t know if sylvanas would keep her power.

5 Likes

Highly unlikely. I think the Afrasiabi scapegoat is just that. A convenient scapegoat. We’ll see, but it seems like Teldrassil was something they all thought was a great way to justify Dark Rangers for both factions.

11 Likes

The “vengeance vs renewal” line dates back to the Sylvanas-Tyrande fight in Ardenweald though. A time when Sylvanas was still in full villain/Jailer fangirl mode and we knew nothing yet about the soul split. Well, maybe Elune knew. But it made no sense then and it doesn’t make much more sense now.
I don’t think it’s a bad concept per se, it just felt inappropriate in this specific situation.

1 Like

Yeah I think it was this.

It’s just less that great execution, agreed.

Oh yeah for sure Afrasiabi is a scapegoat. During the Exploring Kalimdor debacle they were trying to say some phantom racists at the office added the racist parts, not the author of the book. Blizzard will never take responsibility for bad story decisions and only come up with excuses. Afrasiabi wasn’t even really working on wow for the last 4 years, are you telling me this is the best the story team could do in that time?

Dark rangers would also be terrible for alliance, we just get undead night elves that were working to continue the genocide of the night elves? They only changed sides after sylvanas abandoned them? The even just seek the horde to find out what they should do next? That would actually be awful if dark rangers were a thing on the alliance that way. Basically just playable sylvanas characters, it’s fine for the horde but terrible on the alliance.

4 Likes

Yes. Exactly. This is exactly what you will almost definitely be getting. DR is a danged if you do, danged if you dont endeavor, and it looks like they are going with “do”.

1 Like

Bears repeating: Sylvanas does not need to be alive to do her community service in the Maw. And even if she did, she doesn’t need to be alive after she has finished.

Even if Tyrande (and by extension, the Night Elves) considers this enough work (which is lol in itself) that still leaves everyone else. Blighted Alliance and Horde at Lordaeron, sunken fleets over Nazjatar, Kul Tirans, etc.

8 Likes

Granted: Tyrande said this is the beginning, I don’t think - and honestly don’t hope - we’ll see sylvanas again anytime soon, if we’re lucky blizz is sensible and never lets sylvanas return. So to speak the punishment “Lasts forever”.

4 Likes

They’re too obsessed with her I think. Fully expect there to be a cinematic two expansions down the road where she shows up an we’re supposed to be like omg yaaassss but just roll our eyes and alt-f4. She’ll probably say some cringeworthy throwback like “We will never serve!” then one shot a void lord or something.

7 Likes

sadly…it is not impossible, so yes, this could be the case.

This would just be another on the long list of middle fingers to the night elves if alliance dark rangers are the case and they are the elves raised by sylvanas that fought to continue the genocide of the night elves. If there was a story where they only worked for sylvanas so they could get the kill on her or destroy the horde from within that would be different, but they were just loyal soldiers for sylvanas for no reason. Initially I thought maybe Sira had a plan to intentionally be raised as undead to infiltrate the horde and disrupt them from within, you know going to extremes to get revenge, but it wasn’t the case.

1 Like

The point of Tyrande was to appease Night Elf fans. That’s all. Night Elf fans have made it clear that they won’t settle for anything less than changing Ashenvale from contested to Alliance only territory which will never happen for gameplay reasons which will always trump story reasons.
Some have said in the past that “they just want an on-screen night elf victory” but they got that when the victory in darkshore cinematic was finally added at the end of BFA so the ones still pretending to want simply that are either ignorant or not arguing out of good faith.

The thing is that this cinematic was added one week or two before the pre-patch of Shadowland (at least on the European servers), at a time where nearly nobody go to the Darkshore warfront and without any notice from the devs.

I discovered this cinematic only because i checked every week since 8.2 to see if the datamined cinematic would be implemented.
Needless to say that i was quiet angry to see when they released it because once again, few people where on this warfront at this time and so the night elf / worgen victory at Darkshore is unsung.

It’s as if the devs didn’t want to openly show a night elf / worgen victory for whatever reasons or if it make them vomit blood to show one.

Same with the death of Nathanos: Because it’s in the pre-patch, the cinematic was quickly evacuated to never be seen again in game.
Because of this, those not present at this time weren’t aware of the death of Nathanos - a victory of Tyrande with her powers - until they discovered it at the battle of Ardenweald.

Really, it’s as the devs never wanted to make Night elves and worgens fans happy while it could have been so simple:

• A clear victory at Darkshore: Not done with the Forsaken night elves and the very discreet release of the cinematic.
  • Telling ingame that the Night elves / worgens reclaimed Ashenvale: We were told in a badly writen book that their army managed to back 3/4 of Ashenvale so not the majority of the players are aware of this.
    Sound like the Night elves / worgens war campaign we should have had during BfA but once again, the devs were more obsessed with Sylvanas than telling the revenge of the victims of Tel Drassil.
  • Showing Tyrande to beat the crap out of Sylvanas to force the later to flee without making a snarky comment and after that, Elune cut the power to prevent Tyrande to pursue Sylvanas.
    See what we got…

If only one of these 3 points was done correctly (especially the third one), i think that the night elves / worgens communities would have be done with Tel drassil and move on.

Even now that the judgement has passed, i’m not so sure that the majority of these communities are happy with it.

Let’s see what the devs have in store in the 9.2.5, maybe that we will have a questline to show some positive things for these two races.

16 Likes