What the hell happened to the mail font?

Sans serif? What is this nonsense?

3 Likes

Easier to read.

3 Likes

At least itā€™s not comic sans

1 Like

I kinda miss the old font

4 Likes

ā€œSans-serif lettering and typefaces were popular due to their clarity and legibility at distance in advertising and display use, when printed very large or small. Because sans-serif type was often used for headings and commercial printing, many early sans-serif designs did not feature lower-case letters. Simple sans-serif capitals, without use of lower-case, became very common in uses such as tombstones of the Victorian period in Britainā€, from Wikipedia, entry into print. Itā€™s fall-back in web design with Helvetica too.

1 Like

Ok thallia

I hate it. It takes some of the character and aesthetic away.

I donā€™t mind having it as an option, but ffs, they just keep straight up ripping things out. Why are mail font and HD icons not justā€¦ toggle options? Why force this stuff on everyone?

Itā€™s minor things in the grand scheme of things, sure, but I still genuinely donā€™t understand the lack of giving people choice on what they want to use.

2 Likes

i want halloween font for the mailbox. or olde english.

Is there an issue with how Serif fonts work that you dislike? As noted by the comment above you, theyā€™re clear and legible, making them easier to read for most.

Iā€™m sure some may have issue with them, though. We all donā€™t see the same way. So hereā€™s a guide if anyone wants to replace the in game fonts. Itā€™s old, but it still works.

3 Likes

Itā€™s industry best practice for UI accessibility. You donā€™t use serif typefaces for any body text in digital formats. It causes unnecessary eye strain.

For similar reasons, pure black on white and vice-versa is best avoided.

Edit: I replied to the wrong person whoops!

Itā€™s not all that minor. There are WCAG 2 accessibility guidelines that must be adhered to, Blizzard can find themselves in hot water if they donā€™t. (I mean when are they not in hot water lol).

I meant minor as in me being annoyed we are not given toggle options for what we want to use.

I still donā€™t see how providing toggles for people to choose if they want to use the old font, or old crunchy icons, would be bad. I donā€™t mind the additions at all! Especially for accessibility reasons. I just hate that they force the change on everyone, rather than giving us the option to choose what weā€™d like.

1 Like

Toggle would cause an issue because users are generally tech illiterate, wouldnā€™t realise thereā€™s a toggle, and then stamp their feet and moan at the developers that the typeface has changed again.

Thatā€™sā€¦ really not a good defense of not providing options to players for what they want to use. Like, at all.

Is this a full font replacement for the entire game, or is it possible to only replace certain font types? Iā€™d love to put the mail font back how it was before, but I donā€™t want all game font to be like that.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not for you to decide.

See ya!

Nor you.

Itā€™s also not a defensible thing for Blizzard to hook to, either, though ā€˜thankfullyā€™ their only explanation has been radio silence about the whys of not providing toggles.

Iā€™m so sorry that people wanting the ability to keep font or icons how they preferred them, rather than having changes forced on them, is apparently upsetting to you somehow. But itā€™s still ridiculous, and I am at league to point out it is ridiculous.

Accessibility options are cool! Forcing stuff on players who donā€™t like changes, or find the new changes worse than how things were before, is not!

que estas?

If you read through it, itā€™ll show you which fonts are which, so thatā€™ll give you an idea of what they replace. But I just realized that there used to be four different ones and that may no longer be the case. Hmm. Iā€™ll have to test it out later on and let you know.

No idea. Random passive aggressive comment towards me, because I switched to my main like months ago.

:dracthyr_shrug:

1 Like

If you do, thatā€™d be appreciated! I gave it a read through in between Goblins, but either I skimmed over it or didnā€™t see mention of only changing specific fonts. I may need to re-read it later when Iā€™m not so bug-eyed from waiting on these treasure gobbo spawns. :dracthyr_crylaugh:

LOL I hear ya there. :wink:

Oh wait thatā€™s ACTUALLY you? Dude I was joking because you had some smugness about fonts of all things

So much for you quitting the forums and gg outing yourself

1 Like