What the forums need is a thread auto-lock after certain time of inactivity

Similar to what the EU Forums have

What the EU Forums have is an auto-lock on threads after a month of the last post of inactivity, why doesn’t the NA Forums have this?

There is the rule where bumping old threads is considered spam, but yet, we don’t have this feature from the EU Forums here in GD. I think it is time to add something like this too GD.

If anyone doesn’t know what I mean, here is the EU General Discussion, look at the bottom of every thread

48 Likes

Agreed! I don’t know why we don’t have this.

17 Likes

This is an interesting idea. I’m not for or against the idea, but I also don’t mind necro threads if the thread was interesting or had value.

7 Likes

That’s exactly what we need.

this would be absolutely fanastic

yesterday someone necroed a thread i made four years ago to just say something like “don’t worry there’s a ticket in for this”

four years. why is that even possible? lol

24 Likes

What problem does this solve? Just necroing?

I’d argue that in the US forums we have less helpful responses and we’re more likely to repeat the same discussions more than EU will. I swear every time I do a web search for some sort of useful macro hit to reset my autoquest logging or some such bugfix, Google invariably sends me to the EU forums for a quick answer.

I’m not convinced GD has enough substantive material that reached closure to justify closing off the discussion in favor of another thread with the same opinions being rendered.

Let a few people shout ‘necro.’ It makes them feel good.

Honestly, sure, put it in if the majority wants. I’m fine with it. Just don’t think it’s a fix for anything but the first ‘hah, necro’ post.

1 Like

I wouldn’t care if they did this, but I also wouldn’t care if they didn’t.

I don’t think necroing is enough of a rampant plague that needs to really be addressed.

2 Likes

Necroing is a thing that seems to pop up every so often and when it does, its done several times in rapid succession. Its very often a forum regular doing it too.

3 Likes

After 4 years you must be happy to know someone is looking in to your issue though.

Im sure once their ticket is answered theyre totally gonna come back and update you.

1 Like

You must be new to the forums. Have you ever read through this thread? In it, there is this:

Do not “bump” posts.

The act of posting simply to bump a thread is considered spamming. This also includes bumping very old threads for no reason (called “necro bumping” or “necroing”).

And if you read the Forum Code of Conduct, under “Spamming and Trolling”, you’ll see why:

Spamming or Trolling

This category includes:

• Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
  • Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
  • Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
  • Making non-constructive posts
  • Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
  • Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements

If a player is found to have participated in such actions, they will:

• Be given a temporary or permanent ban from the forums, depending upon severity

If Necro’ing a thread is considered spam, then it is considered spam. Most of the larger threads stay active anyways, which doesn’t fall down of this line, because people are active on the forums to keep it active. Customization threads are an example, even the LGBTQ+ lounge is another example.

How ever, some threads that do get necro’d, are irrelevant threads today, and bumping them doesn’t bring anything to the discussion anymore.

4 Likes

There are bigger issues that need to be addressed here, (character based identity, classic/retail GD crossover, EU sub working for US forums to name a few), but this seems like a pretty easy one to fix.

3 Likes

Yes we need this.

Someone necroed a 3 year old thread yesterday and I’m like “NO BAD NECRO… BAD”

A mod just edited my comment then locked the thread.

4 Likes

Honeypot and Shreds used to do it for giggles. Haven’t seen either in a while, though.

1 Like

I said I don’t personally think it’s a big problem. If you want to petition Blizzard to add it, I’m fine with it.

I’m pretty sure shreds got permabanned because he caught a small suspension for going on his usual rants and decided to go full destructive karen and reeee at everyone.

4 Likes

Sounds about right.

2 Likes

hmm… :thinking:

Maybe auto locking a thread after a month isn’t good enough? Like, it doesn’t handle nuanced threads that pop up at regular intervals. So, maybe adding more criteria than ‘one month inactive’ would be a better way to go? Like, flags to post ratios, likes to posts ratios, frequencies of resurfacing of a thread, that sort of thing.

For example, we’ve had fantastic threads which talk about music, and that thread might go inactive and then pop back up, locking it wouldn’t be the right way to go about that specific thread.

:man_shrugging:

1 Like

Oh God, I remember shreds. Guy was a bit of a nut.

4 Likes

I found him highly entertaining. You could tell he wasn’t trolling, at least. He was a nutcase but he came by it honestly.

3 Likes

I was wondering why I haven’t seen Shreds around.

1 Like