What ssd need how get

Source? post a link or something.

Probably end up grabbing a couple just for the space I’d save in my case tbh, putting in the last SSD was almost a nightmare lol

Its literally on the first page of General chat. Go to the one where the blizz employee responded and go find his post. It talks about how you can do ssd or hdd.

My keyboard turned 31 years old on aug 9th :smiley:
Some hardware can last a very long time!

1 Like

lol. Ok. Thanks for the detailed source

Straight from the CS forums. Also posted here on GD in a few places.

1 Like

Thank you. So they updated it 19 hours ago, I’m sure most people haven’t seen that yet. We all assumed it would run on an HDD anyway, this has turned into a bigger debate on computers and WoW though. And it’s mind boggling why people are still using mechanical drives as their main hard drive. This is a good change for people to make a 30-50 dollar upgrade and enter into 2015 with the rest of us.

Yes! Much faster than ssd. I only use it to run my computer. Games go on the ssd drives.

I have an SSD and am not currently using it because i do not have my windows cd anymore and because of that I’d need to switch windows, my cpu is quite outdated and only has one upgrade for its socket which is quite negligible and so in that sotuation a motherboard/cpu upgrade and then just a sata cable to connect my ssd. So overall it would cost me a bit just to play a 60 dollar game.

You don’t need to do anything of the sort. You can clone your hard drive onto your SSD for free and just switch the boot order.

Then you can format the HDD and use it for storage.

1 Like

Ive read a lot about that and for some reason it has issues when cloning your windows

I’ve done it dozens of times and never had an issue. You can clone it and try it, and if it fails for some reason you can just switch back to the HDD in the BIOS and try a different software. Really no reason to not use it.

1 Like

you do this on windows 7 too? Thats what I’m rocking and plan to continue rocking for quite some time. Haven’t ever tried windows 10. I imagine its the same but I have no idea if there’s some random programming issue? I dont jnow what to call it

I’m assuming you can still clone it. It just makes an exact copy of everything on one drive and clones it to the other, the boot partitions, recovery partition, everything. Worst that could happen is it doesn’t boot and you switch it back.

I guess that’s true. I do need to buy a sata cable though. Bought the ssd and never bought the cable for it

A couple of points here.

NVMe is better if the motherboard has a slot for it. Be sure to read the specifications as there are several variants of the M.2 standard. Here is a link that minimizes nerd-speak. If no NVMe compatibility, then sticking to a SATA style is just fine.

Keep in mind one must be running Windows 10 to boot from an NVMe type SSD. Windows 7 requires a patch Microsoft has pulled from circulation to force folks to Windows 10. One can use an SSD with Windows 7, but it can’t be the C:\ drive.

Keep in mind that the way SSDs work, by randomizing the data over the entire memory hardware, data recovery software will not work. Back-up is even more important with SSD drives, so keep the old hard drive and after cloning it, use it for back-up.

Most name brand SSD companies include software that lets one clone the existing drive to the new SSD. Making the new drive the starting or boot drive has several ways to be done so consult the instructions on how to do that. It isn’t hard.

Your MB or case should have come with multiple SATA cables but they are dirt cheap. You can even clone it with an adapter through USB, I have done this many times on laptops where there isn’t a second drive slot. Pretty handy to have. They are also cheap, 8 or 10 bucks.

yeah they’re all in use haha.

Well pull one out of the CD rom drive you never use and use that one :wink:

My cd rom isn’t even connected haha. I dig the help but I have to buy a new one XD.

Honestly not a big deal though. I can play on my hdd