What made you quit retail?

Towards the end of WoTLK I was not happy with the state of the raiding, and during cataclysm the WoW I knew before, officially died.

4 Likes

Oh god, I forgot about scaling.

Is there a better way to kill the sense of accomplishment?

edit: but not wanting to be only negative, which I feel would be dishonest, there were many things from each xpac I consider good ideas. But the overarching game concepts, and Blizz’s attitude toward the playerbase, drove me nuts.

1 Like

really stupid questions

1 Like

You’re right legion and BFA had good qualities.

With it came more QoL and no real sense of accomplishment. The RPG elements vanished and the mmo type competition slowly has gone away. It plays like a solo/mmo with very little rpg elements.

I did some mythic raiding in legion. It was just not worth the energy and time for the reward that would be replaced so easily.

Was it fun? Yes as long as you don’t think about it’s an mmorpg and forget vanilla existed at one point. To me wow took one step forward and few steps back every expansion.

1 Like

The classes they are all boring and feel the same as each other. Had to keep making alts for the game to be fun, in the end it was to much work and not worth it.

1 Like

I’ve quit retail more than once. Twice in Cata, once in Mists. Fallout New Vegas had a lot to do with my time away from the game. But, my biggest problem with retail at those times was the actual change in quest design.

The first few times through Cata, the linear quest chains were an experience, but it did not allow for any real choice or variety, and that’s my bread butter in an RPG. Just getting through Hyjal or Vash’jir became a slog, and that caused me to lose interest. I didn’t have any issues with the dungeons or their difficulty. Just, after Wrath, I didn’t think Blizzard could keep going.

Having to grind quests and factions for rewards that seem meaningless and unrewarding.

to summarize-
Bliz thinks they own the game and can do whatever they want,
not realizing that the customers cannot stay with that treatment

Honestly, that first bit is the crux of the matter. I can’t remember the last time after school or work that I thought “Man, I want to get on WoW so that…” instead of “Man, I have to get on WoW so that…”

Though I have played, I have not enjoyed World of Warcraft since Cataclysm. I loved raiding in Cataclysm especially Dragon Soul (though the zone for it was very boring). I absolutely loved arenas in Cataclysm (before Dragon Soul).

A very close second to your first point would of course be class design. Every single class and/or spec has lost their uniqueness. I loved the bit in Legion where you’ve now become practically the God of Mages, the Archmage. Yet, when you are Fire it is almost as if the schools of Frost and Arcane magic do not exist. What happened to stance dancing? Where are the spellstones? When was the last time someone used a succubus? What happened to all of the uniqueness and interaction with hunter pets? Where are my auras?

As a Mage, since I am supposed to be the master… maybe I want Ice Block and Presence of Mind. Let me dabble in the three schools of magic as I see fit. This particular point is when they really lost me. I kept coming back, hoping. Only to be let down. In BFA I made it a week… I got to max, got some gear, did the raid, did some PvP, and said goodbye in one week.

3 Likes

A lot of reasons that have been building for the last several xpacs. The main one being, unless you’re at least a semi-serious raider, there is little to do except queue up with your LFx rando strangers and collect your welfare gear.

1 Like

I enjoyed legion and BFA to a point. I liked mythic + and mythic raiding. Was pretty competitive in legion and got to top 30 as my spec in U.S… Then in BFA I knew I wouldn’t have enough time to raid, so I focused more on m+ and snagged a world 3 m+ run at one point. The lack of finality on gear drove me away though. The thought of, “Okay, I cleared mythic version of this boss, but now I have to do the heroic because the chance it can titanforge.” Then, you get a titanforged version, but it could be higher so you do it again. I enjoy getting something and being satisfied knowing that i now have that item.

I quit retail because, other than the setting, – quite literally – everything that I enjoyed about the game was removed or simplified so that I didn’t like it anymore.

3 Likes

a month or so into bfa, i was really discouraged and not having any fun at all with the game. i boiled it down to being burnt out with the game… after all, i had been playing since cata and all of my friends had quit, of course that would make me need a break from the game.

i went to the place that rhymes with dorth nale. i didn’t need a break from wow.

The game just hasn’t been fun since Wrath. Classes were wrecked.

3 Likes

I’m not sure the devs thought the game would be as successful as it was for as long as it was because they didn’t seem to have any kind of plan for the game after Arthas died. Everything feels like a series of crowbarred plot moves.

“Arthas has finally been defeated. The Scourge is done for.” brief pause followed by cocking of head to the sky “What the!!! Where did Deathwing come from? Whatever you do, don’t stand in the…” sounds of agonized screaming

Blizzard was changing things even up until the last minute when releasing the original world of warcraft. Outdoor Dungeons? Micro-Dungeons? Remember when they retconned the entire TBC expansion for legion to make sense?

1 Like

I think the next expansion should be players waking up in a bed in their own city with a healer of some sort looking over them telling them they were ill for the longest time and talking nonsense in their fevered delusion.

As an aside, I can just imagine the meltdown that would take place in GD if the cinematic for the next expansion (I’ll use humans for purposes of example) was some blurry images of a priest looking down telling us that we had made it through the worst of it and we’d be okay now. Then the screen clears and we get up and find ourselves in the abbey as a level 1 and we go outside and report to the guard.

“Surprise everybody!!! We’ve retconned the whole thing and you’re starting over!”

6 Likes

That’s one of my biggest beefs with retail.

When leveling up, there is no need to actually go once you can run LFG. In fact, it’s faster just to spam instances than to actually go quest. Why did they spend all that time making new quests in Cata just to have it all ignored?

People just grind through the quests in a new xpac and are done with them in 2 months. Some people will go and run world quests, but many won’t bother, and so the world still appears empty.

The community element of WoW is gone.

1 Like

I see this again and again. I also agree with it.

When I started WoW 15 years ago, I was single and just out of college. I could devote as much time as I wanted to a MMO.

Now I’m in a lead role at my job. I have kids. I just can’t devote all that much time to a MMO. The last thing I want to do is spend the little time I can leveling up and gearing up a character just to have it all wiped away by the latest Xpac.

2 Likes

TBC flushed everything relevant and progress wise down the toilet.

Seeing the painting on the wall that anything you do will just be made irrelevant, my group up and quit pretty early on in TBC.

Expansions are supposed to “expand upon” the game, not make the current iteration of the game totally useless.

6 Likes