What made you quit retail?

Honestly, i’ve had my complaints in the past but allied races being gated was the last grain of sand for me. Twinking being removed again would have also made me quit but my sub ended before that thankfully.

16 Likes

Allied races have been advertised as gated content since day 1.

Reasons i quit

1. too much pruning
  2. too much homogenization.
  3. the game just lost what made it great.
51 Likes

All classes have the same/similar toolkit

45 Likes

yea, i thought id be fine, but being the altoholic i am the task of obtaining them all took away from me playing the game the way i wanted to.

Homogenization, Garrisons of Queuecraft®, and the Classic announcement. Why continue to eat soured rocky road ice-cream when fresh vanilla is on the way?

26 Likes

Retail made me quit retail.

33 Likes

Cataclysm.

22 Likes

I lost my sense of achievement from progression.

All the things that have made the game easier, LFD, BOA, Xp boosts, gold tokens, etc… Have made me feel like it’s a waste of time to actually do anything.

30 Likes

Guilds are dead in retail. No need for them.

12 Likes

The community is dead.

31 Likes

I bet that Garrisons game would do great on mobile. Assuming everybody has a phone of course.

18 Likes

I finally unsubbed after they separated BG ques. Dumbest thing ive seen to date in wow

1 Like

1 word… BORINGGGG!

7 Likes

Flying mounts
Homogenisation
General game difficulty (excluding raids)
Absence of community
Sharding and crz
Catering to casual play (eg. 20 minute dungeons, lfd, lfr etc.)

22 Likes
  1. Class Design
  2. Cross server BGs
  3. Bad PvP(due to class design)
  4. Themepark/instanced gameplay
  5. Catch up mechanics
  6. Gear resets
  7. Everything in the game being incredibly easy except mythic raiding and high and M+
  8. Flying mounts
  9. CRZ/Sharding/Cross server
  10. LFD/LFR
  11. Multiple raid difficulties
  12. CROSS SERVER BGS
27 Likes

For me it was the story.

Community knew where it was going, blizzard swore it wasn’t going there, story went there anyway. Garrosh 2.0, morally grey etc etc

See you in classic.

9 Likes

I first quit because it was too addicting, and it was taking too much of my life away. So I stopped cold turkey late into TBC.

Got the itch again and came back late WoTLK. The fun I had wasn’t there anymore. The obsession with gear score,the terribly done dungeons and voice acting, with the addition of LFD turned me away very quickly.

Didn’t come back again until Legion. Wanted to level through all of the missed expansions on my main, so I did. Was fun. Then took another break.

Saw the 7.3.5 scaling patch being added and was really pumped for it. Was planning on coming back and playing a long time. Then, I saw the patch. Absolutely killed leveling,and dungeon crawling for me. Power progression was effectively dead.

So. I didn’t wanted to level or run dungeons anymore, and really liked Legion content near the end of its cycle so played for about 2 months during Argus and the Mage tower stuff. Some of the most fun I’ve had in WoW. Ranks up there with TBC (late Legion is what I’m referring to, not early or mid). The music, the leveling, the zones, the invasions…the raiding …I just really really enjoyed late Legion for some reason. Was just… a really enjoyable experience.

Then 8.0 came. Saw, again, what the game was going to. They destroyed artifacts, taking away the experience of an entire expac away for the foreseeable future for anyone going back to play. The mage tower experience was gone, also, for anyone who might play in the future (the event should have stayed, not the rewards). Classes pruned from what already was too much prune. There’s now just a raisin. I quit after the first day and never looked back.

In summary:

1. LFD/LFR/Gear score crap was the stab in the back
  2. 7.3.5 was a thrust in the belly
  3. Legion content after 7.3.5 was a glimpse of what modern WoW could be to redeem itself a bit.
  4. 8.0 and BFA was the dagger in the heart.
8 Likes

You and I had almost the exact same experience.

I quit in TBC because it was too addicting, came back in MOP. Skipped again until Legion, which as you said was some of the most fun I’ve had in WoW, specifically the Mage Tower.

Disappointed, but I still play Retail in BFA. Want to complete Brawler’s Guild on my main and this new WW Monk I just started is so much fun to play!

I take the good with the bad.

Firstly, both Classic and modern WoW are retail. It’s a bit of a peeve of mine.

Secondly, onto the main point, I haven’t really quit modern WoW; I’ve just quit BfA. I actually enjoyed Legion for what it was, but I think that’s really just because of how horrible WoD and “not very good” MoP was as well. The saying of that mediocrity becomes gold in a sea of crap(which can be said for the whole of the video game industry, to be fair.)

I do like modern WoW as more of a place to hang out with friends because it’s like an arcade of things to do, but it’s been so long since I actually genuinely enjoyed the actual gameplay. I could write up an essay or two on all the nuances of why I don’t, but to put it plainly, it just doesn’t feel like an RPG anymore. It feels like a looter shooter such as borderlands, but in forced 3rd person in an environment that lacks everything making looter shooters fun. There’s too much emphasis on competitiveness, too much esportification - it trimmed so much fat that the steak no longer has any flavor.

I’ll still play it because my friends do, and it’s our only way to really hang out as it’s the place we all met each other, but I can’t say I like it enough to play it when no one else is on.

5 Likes

I think it was just the gradual realization that Blizzard cared more about padding playtime in order to make you play longer rather than producing quality gameplay to make you want to play longer.

I remember back in Wrath I played so much that it was borderline unhealthy. I never left my house, barely did my homework, stayed up way too late, etc. The game was so fun that I didnt want to do anything else, and I never seemed to run out of things to do and goals to reach for. Compare that to now and you’ve got rep grinds and gear grinds and leveling grinds and time gates and mission tables and arbitrary restrictions on everything from flying to how quickly you can get certain kinds of gear.

Its just nonsense at this point. Classes are so dumbed down that it feels like I’m playing a mobile game. The story is literally just MoP with Sylvanas taking the place of Garrosh. Azerite armor is terrible and everyone hates it but Blizzard just doesnt care.

TL;DR Blizzard is making a game focused on profits rather than making a game focused on fun.

28 Likes