What lore claim do you cringe at the most when you see it on these forums/in-game?

Mine are:

1. People claiming that it makes sense for every race to have every class.
  2. People still not realizing that Malfurion being a baby in the Val’sharah questline was Xavius taunting Tyrande.
  3. People saying that ALL High Elves are Blood Elves.
37 Likes

This still bothers me quite a lot - Whenever I hear people say that they hate Tyrande and Malfurion they come with this argument when they are asked why even though it was Xavius.

Also to your question, things that bother me a bit:

• People still thinking that Ashenvale was contested before BfA
  • People blaming Arthas on the Alliance (the writers did that even)
  • People who believe that Sylvanas never did evil things before BfA

oh I found another one:

• When people hate on Tyrande for telling the Nightborne the truth in Legion or when they say that she’s wrong for not trusting the Horde in 8.3 and that they’re all good now
22 Likes

How about out-of-setting claims?

I think the devs’ “Horde betrayed you at Broken Shore” was pretty cringeworthy - the retreat seemed like an unhelpful thing to do, but hardly a betrayal. (If they went full Putress and actively hurt the Alliance, or didn’t use those nice signal horns to say they were retreating, -that- would be a betrayal.) And it’s left faction arguments in a weird limbo, because are the Alliance supposed to treat the scenario like a full betrayal (which we were told) or just the Horde prioritizing their lives over the goal of closing the portal there and then (which we personally saw)?

45 Likes
  1. People bringing up Taurajo when it was the quillboar who killed the civilians, not the Northwatch forces, who basically had an “accident”. I think it’s okay for in-game NPCs to be pissed about this, but players have meta views.
  2. People (including lore Devs) claiming that blood/high elves and night elves have historical hatreds, when we see them get along really well in wc3, to the point of Tyrande risking her life for them. Basically people forcing hatreds between races where it’s not evident, unlike the Forsaken-Human/worgen conflict.
  3. People confusing Wandering isle (faction) pandaren with Pandaria ones who are definitely neutral.
  4. People saying Anduin and Wrathion don’t deserve each other.
23 Likes

Probably that Liam committed suicide when he took the arrow that Sylvanas meant for Genn, in an attempt to explain away that Sylvanas didn’t kill Liam when she still absolutely did by any objective analysis of the situation.

12 Likes

On this I can agree:

Other than that, I find the claims in this thread to be malarkey. So, I will supply what these posters consider “cringe”:

Yet, it is true. While Blizzard chooses what can be Playable, the various races have shown exceptions. It is not an innate Racial Lockout. It is merely a Lockout of what Blizzard chooses to allow as Playable. And that is subject to change.

Highborn Night Elves, as an example. They were antithetical to the Playable Race one day, and yet they go on to save Night Elves as Teldrassil burns on another day.

Alliance: “We didn’t kill all the townspeople. We gave them the option to either be killed while we fire bomb them, or escape and be killed by Quillboar! Their deaths are not our fault.”

He jumped in the way. Sylvanas did not even want to waste an arrow on that whelp. Liam killed himself because of his father’s mistakes. Liam deserves respect and responsibility for his free will choice. His father deserves blame for foisting that choice on his son.

12 Likes

Any claim rooted in trivial mechanical game structure. Mob is yellow con in a newbie area? Faction X is butchering noncombatants. Somebody slapped an appearance on nameless quest target B? It must be a willful act of whatever party is sought to be vilified, even absent any other support.

They are particularly cringe to me because they take a good deal of effort and knowledge with a goal of being willfully disingenuous for the sake of partisan bullcrap.

11 Likes

Well you are just objectively wrong, but I don’t think this is a place to discuss necessarily the lore itself so much as to bring up things people personally find as cringy arguments.

Which yours most certainly is and thanks for backing it up with more cringe to reinforce it I guess.

10 Likes

And I am listing the claims I quoted as such.

The feeling is mutual.

5 Likes

I think intention matters. The Northwatch forces were dumb enough to think the civilians could escape unharmed. As I said, the tauren have every reason to be pissed about this, but I don’t think it works when using meta arguments to find flaws in the Alliance, when there are better options like the Purge, or Stormheim, or Bael Modan.

18 Likes

I know you did not mention Liam’s death… but if intention matters for the Alliance who “accidentally” forced the Tauren to choose between death by fire and death by Quillboar… why does intention matter less in Liam’s case? Genn was Sylvanas’s intended target.

I find these claims very disingenuous and down right biased to the point of gibberish.

Which seems to be what the kids call “cringe”.

19 Likes

You’re right, I didn’t mention Liam’s death. I would consider it an accident on Sylvanas’ part. But Greymane has a right to be angry, because that’s his son… besides, you know, everything else she did to Gilneas.

11 Likes

Sure, Genn as a Character can be raw about stuff, and place the blame for his actions on others. It is what he does best.

My point is, that as far as objective postings go, Liam made the choice to take his father’s place where the arrow was sent.

Sylvanas intended for the arrow to hit Genn. And she was bummed that it didn’t.

1 Like

I don’t think it matters at this point because the devs would probably go back and claim that Sylvanas was always counting on Liam to show up :joy:
BfA story is ridiculous.

15 Likes

I cringe when I see certain posters make the claim that Teldrassil was a corrupted horror teeming with fel magic. Or that since Malfurion didn’t approve of its initial planting, that means Sylvanas actually did the world a favor by burning it down. Both times they’re blatantly ignoring the facts that A) It was never that badly corrupted, B) What corruption it did have was fully cleansed a decade ago, and C) Malfurion changed his mind after waking up and seeing Teldrassil for himself, and was actually happy that it existed.

24 Likes
  1. Any argument that involves “it was all Sylvanas’s plan” without acknowledging that it’s a retcon.
  2. Using meta-knowledge to justify a character’s actions; “Genn had every right to attack Sylvanas in Stormheim, because she was going to later on enslave a valk!”
  3. Blaming a group arguments that likewise require absolving a different group for the actions of an individual, or of course the inverse of that. “The Horde didn’t burn Teldrassil, only Sylvanas did. But the entire Alliance is responsible for Camp T!!” Or, of course, reverse the argument. Either an individual represents the whole, or they don’t. Pick one.
  4. Any argument that hinges purely on game mechanics as lore. Game mechanics can reflect lore, but they are not lore themselves. We can solo Arthas, but his lore depiction makes it clear that a shabby geared hunter couldn’t kill him. Stop assuming because something is mechanically possible, it must be true in lore as well.

That’s what I’ve got for now.

They don’t though. Both could do better. Both deserve worse. They should never find happiness or comfort in each others’ arms.

26 Likes

I think they balance each other out perfectly for this. Wrathion is the only person who can bring Anduin to misery and Anduin thinks on political lines that are jarring to Wrathion. They can torment each other forever.

Almost feels like in this thread:

Alliance players: We cringe at anything the Horde tries to defend itself with.

19 Likes

Hey, my objection was against something that was needlessly villainizing the Horde!

More on-topic: I agree with a lot of the points here - many of them have small details that I would argue about… but most of the times those arguments are used, the little details that would make them right or wrong are completely ignored anyway, so I guess the complaint about them is still completely valid. :stuck_out_tongue:

(Really, I think half the arguments on the forum is because people will, when reading an argument, mentally add in those little supporting details when it’s an argument they agree with, and not add those details when it’s an argument they disagree with. So of course one looks far more logical than the other!)

6 Likes

How is a non-choice in this scenario, that you correctly point out,

Alliance: “We didn’t kill all the townspeople. We gave them the option to either be killed while we fire bomb them, or escape and be killed by Quillboar! Their deaths are not our fault.”

different from the non choice here to do nothing and watch your loved one die or try and save them

He jumped in the way. Sylvanas did not even want to waste an arrow on that whelp. Liam killed himself because of his father’s mistakes.

?

Genuinely curious.

I don’t get into a lot of the dogfights on these forums so if you’ve covered this topic at length elsewhere, my b.

3 Likes