What limitations for Addons?

you guys are assuming the worst and not even seeing what eloraell is saying.

come on guys we are better than this.

1 Like

Your inability to understand that first of all, they will never ban the use of all addons in this game, and second of all, the ramifications of that if you really think they would (the death of the game) is somewhat troubling, but, you fit right in here on this forum.

2 Likes

Apparently not to the people who want transmog, class balance, better spawn rates on some resources, achievements / rewards tied with BfA, unarmored mounts, guild banks, AoE looting, instant mail, etc…

For the credibility of the classic community, I cannot believe that this was ever THE point of getting classic.

no but it was part of the overall experience.

Until Blizzard says otherwise my interpretation focuses on the last paragraph which seems to indicate specifically what they felt was over the line in ClassicLFG which states:

Since the problem seems to be, “an interconnected social network that relies on other players also using that same add-on,” it would seem they would focus on breaking the addon to addon communication or possibly limit it to guilds/raid/party as someone in another thread mentioned was how the addon communication channels originally were (not sure if that’s accurate).

The chat parsing and posting part would seem to fall under “presenting information or providing aesthetic customization.”

Limiting addon to addon communication to only party/raid/guild members or breaking it entirely would seem like it would break a lot of other random addons but I don’t see how they could target the “interconnected social network that relies on other players using that same add-on” in any other way.

1 Like

Wow the amount of stupidity, how much can these forums take. Add ons were in the beta version of this original release and all throughout it’s game life cycle. The OP question is a valid one as there are many addons that use similar api calls in a different way and specifically for RP as they have said numerous times. Seriously guys this game is on it’s last leg here. If it werent for classic and the things we all individually and collectively hope to get out of it is, this game would seriously be 1 step from death. This launch is the only thing propping this game up, can we stop being so divisive about it.

Now this is really sad and gives a good idea about what you think of WoW Classic in itself.
The addon community will die, I give you that, but the classic community will thrive on the back of their demise.

Right, so 90% of the people who play this game. Ah, delusions.

Iz feermungur mon.

I never heard someone dream back bout Vanilla and melt in nostalgia when talking about all the addons he used? When people talked about their experience and what they liked it was usually something very different. But well, maybe thats just me and my experience, I admit that.

Where do you get this number and prove that this amount of people would quit if addons where disabled? I would not be able to tell how many people would be that delusional to quit Classic or Vanilla because the loss of Addons but I’d like to learn ))

honestly the addons i remember most were damage meters (i believe it was actually called that) and omen.

there were others that i had that i dont remember as much but they added to the experience in ways i am sure affected the way i played.

they were part of the fabric of vanilla for alot of people.

to wish for the death of addons is to wish for the death of the game itself.

Allow me to help clarify what you mean.

The LFG Classic Tool, as is, has very little “automation” to it and even less automation that could explicitly be cited as a problem in it’s current state. Too my knowledge, it has a partially automated custom channel text message that will be posted automagically every now and then (AKA LF2M WC, need Tank), it automatically parses text in the chatbox which is explicitly never been a problem in the history of WoW, and “automatically” shares data with other users of the addon when they are LFG so that they are easier to show up in the player list.

Now the problem with Blizzard saying “Oh we’re going to bust this up real good” is that all of the above barring maybe the semi-auto chat messaging is non-factor non-issue tier stuff that effects are great many other addons. For example, if you break chat parsing they’ll be destroying god knows how many other addons, the entire RP community, ect. If they break the functionality of addons sharing data with other users, they’d be breaking a whole different host of addons such as healing addons that show outgoing heals from other members of raids ect.

Breaking either of the two above will effectively be changing Vanilla WoW and destroying a great many addons many people will be using from RP to raiding. The irony here is that the NOCHANGES people demanding for changes is not lost on me since their demanding demeanor might end up with them shooting themselves in the foot here.

The third change they could potentially make is the semi-automatic chat messaging in channels (like General) but then there would really be no reason for the uproar over this at all.

I’m assuming what you desire is a clarification, from Blizzard, on what exactly they intend to break, because busting the way this addon currently works (instead of just banning it, no idea how’d you enforce a ban like that but whatever) has the potential to demolish a great many other addons.

And because I want to get my piece in for myself, shame on you community for getting suckered into that shill retail streamer that’s tricked you into an uproar into literally making changes to Classic’s Vanilla WoW formula. Bunch of poser nochanges demanding changes, rustles me up real good.

4 Likes

People are hilarious “the spirit of classic” then uses discord for LFG quest mods to tell them where to go instead of interacting with others in chat to figure things out etc etc.

Whoa. Got some mental giants attacking mom. All she did was ask a simple question that a lot of us want to know the answer to.
They must be Asmon’s sheep.
Yo Asmon get these guys in line or mom’s using the belt.

3 Likes

Thats just not true. When you logged in the Test Servers and talked to people who came back, what was your impression. That they were kind of okay but wished they had some addons or that they said something along the lines: “its good to be back” or “crazy, first time in years someone is whispering more than a few words”. Let’s be honest to ourselfs, addons are QoL and many we can get used to. But they do not define the Vanilla/Classic experience. If they would, this would be very sad and as a dev who brought classic back I would be more than surprised by hearing that.
Anyway, I leave it at that as its not going anywhere and I dont want to be the one pushing Blizz to turn them off )) be wary as its also “you” who will push them too with all the complications and concerns.

in the first stress test? naw i just wanted to play.

every other stress test? ya i wanted addons.

honestly it doesnt have to be either/or.

Sorry but I don’t think they owe you a technical description… Back in the day there was an add-on called wow glider that basically let you fly around at high speeds and would bot for you. They broke the add-on and banned people using it because it was against TOS.

It’s their prerogative what they don’t want to allow.

I’m actually surprized to see this from you Eloraell, your a legend on these forums for your posts, but im sorry to say this one seems off target.

It was fairly clear from the blue post that blizzard isn’t sure what theyre going to do exactly just yet, they are being mindful of changes effecting other addons, and overall have they have a design philosophy they are trying to adhere to.

I’m confident that by the time they actually write in the coding changes, they will have the most minimal impact possible, but asking for info about coding they likely haven’t written yet ??..i just fail to see what you’re expecting outside of furthering the forum fires.

I genuinely hope iv’e misunderstood your post, and if so i apologize, but yeah…