What limitations for Addons?

@Bornakk could you talk more about the intended limitations here? It feels like a dangerous step that could have significant implications for other addons like RP ones depending on the way you limit it.

7 Likes

“…we intend to be very careful about allowing add-on functionality that might undermine aspects of the social dynamics that are core to the Classic experience…”

That’s what.

2 Likes

That’s a goal, not a technical description of what elements of the API will be restricted. As an addon developer, information is important, not verbose platitudes.

6 Likes

Why you care so much for being able to use external QoL tools I wonder? WoW by itself is not enough to enjoy?

“It’s difficult to articulate a clear-cut rule for exactly when an add-on crosses the line. However, when an add-on goes beyond presenting information or providing aesthetic customization, and attempts to create an interconnected social network that relies on other players also using that same add-on, we are likely to scrutinize it particularly closely.”

2 Likes

Again not a technical description.

1 Like

From what I saw on a twitter post, they want to limit addon communication in channels, but leave in the ability for addons to auto invite.

2 Likes

It seemed to me that they are not sure what they are going to do specifically. I doubt he has much to share. If I had to guess, it would be the ability for an addon to form a group.

1 Like

We had addons then. We’ll have them again. When they limit the ability to have a quest HUD list, like we had on Day One of Vanilla the you are the one demanding an inauthentic experience.

6 Likes

If you need them to show you all the code that isn’t allowed you’re just being obtuse, probably intentionally.

2 Likes

I don’t think this was mentioned. RP and information for addon developers was however. Sounds like someone is trying to make an RP addon and wants to know what the limitations are.

2 Likes

The more you insist and poke into this the more likely they will disable addons in general.
They will learn fast that not allowing addons removes a big headache of theirs.

That’s precisely what I want. A list. Of API calls that will be removed.

4 Likes

Are… are you trolling? People who write addons understandably are concerned about how the API is changing. Do you not understand that?

8 Likes

Muh “slippery slope”.

Addons, to me and a lot of people, were only a convenience and never required. If they broke all of them I’d still play because its 100x better than anything retail has to offer. Breaking a feature that people see as “strictly retail” is a good move; frankly RP can be damned if you’re against this move.

2 Likes

They said they would need a couple of weeks to investigate this and take appropriate actions.

Look. No LFG and that’s that.

1 Like

Vanilla had addons. You want to remove them. You are a #Changer.

5 Likes

The developer talked to them, they mentioned removing the auto-invite feature possibility but leaving the rest of the addon untouched.

They can’t really break addon communication without it affect 100+ different addons, including many RP addons that people use.

2 Likes

Yea yea I’ve seen this knee-jerk reaction before, you’re not the first. Nothing you can say will suddenly make me say “wow I really do wish I had something that took away all social interaction in forming a group!”

1 Like