What Keeps You Playing?

I’ve had to take a little break recently and find myself getting incredibly bored whenever I log on. I’m unmotivated and generally… uninterested in WoW right now.

If you’re still playing, what’s the reason why? I’m hoping to find some inspiration to getting back into the swing of thingsz :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

roleplay roleplay roleplay

ive started an awesome new event line and it’s super cool and fun. yeah raids and m+ are cool but roleplay is what kept me subbed for 8.2 onwards and im still subbed because of it

5 Likes

At this point, only RP keeps me subbed. I’ve lost interest in almost every other aspect of the game, and I never thought I’d say that.

5 Likes

Ditto. The expansion is a wasteland with nothing of real interest to me, and even if there were, there isn’t any meaningful content on the horizon for some time. Roleplay is why I log on, and it’s the only reason.

1 Like

Warning: Long post ahead.

I still play because I think I play differently than most (I am guessing?) and that’s part what makes it enjoyable.

I made a joke on here a number of months ago. (probably not a funny one but I digress.) Once you break your own chains of domination (i.e. - break out of the WoW skinner box), you feel absolutely free IN this game and FROM this game. You no longer feel obligated to do what Blizz tells you to do, when they tell you that you need to do it.

There’s a Turkey day achievement called “Turkey Lurkey” (shooting rogues with a gun) and all those years ago, I made a joke that I wasn’t doing it because as a rogue main, I found it offensive. (it’s not offensive. I was trying to be funny.) I spent the next year occasionally looking at that incomplete achievement, waiting until the next Turkey Holiday so I could complete it. The next holiday came around and I was busy and never bothered to get it. I spent another year occasionally being annoyed about it.

When the next holiday came around, I flat out refused to do it again and it’s been a joke ever since. I got the achieve on a different character but I will pointedly never get it on Norman, at this point - it’s a reminder to do what I want to do in this game, not what Blizz wants me to do.

I don’t play end-game when it’s current, due to physical limitations. (I’ve discussed this on the forum before.) So, I have no need to log in for that. I log in for what I enjoy and for me, it varies every day.

tl;dr - What I enjoy:
Roleplay and watching others roleplay (Some of you guys on WrA should be writing professionally and I hope you are or one day you do!)
Fishing - I love to fish in real life but can’t get out of the house every week to do so. I’ll take what I can get.
Exploring - Whatever I think of the state of WoW, it’s a uniquely beautiful game to me and I screenshot everything, all the time. I’ve debated creating a blog for Norman with screenshots.
Random Battlegrounds - probably one of my favorite activities. I wish there were more actual rewards. I am not a consistently good player. I have great moments and horrible moments but I enjoy it, even during the horrible moments.
Farming - yes, I genuinely like farming for mats. Anyone reading, feel free to hire me to farm for you. I do this for several people now.
Crafting - I like crafting, but this game doesn’t have much of a dynamic system. That said, I have some unobtainable recipes and unobtainable mats. I’m always happy to help people looking for an old pattern that they can’t find and I don’t charge for crafting.

Sometimes I’ll log in for hours. Sometimes it’s for 5 minutes. For the cost of their minimal sub fee, I still feel I’m getting the better deal. I think as long as I feel that way, I’ll keep my sub.

I just wish they had more hats to farm.

8 Likes

What keeps me is the friends and guildees pushing me to do content I’ve never done before. I’m close to Rival in RBGs, which I’ve never hit before (I think I got Scout in MoP). I got AotC way before the cut-off, which has never happened. I’m trying for KSM, which again is something new.

I know PvE/PvP isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but sadly I haven’t RP’d in forever and lack the time/commitment to do so.

3 Likes

theres nothing, really

1 Like

guildies and pvp for me
ive been having an obscene amount of fun knocking people off things in Revendreth

1 Like

My raiding/mythic friends and my guildies. The social part of it keeps me subbed.

2 Likes

Nothing. My sub ran out last week and I’m not coming back until they either fix or end Shadowlands and introduce a better expansion that isn’t a complete failure in everything that it does.

1 Like

Roleplay and even that is barely doing it for me anymore. I have all these cool characters and ideas but I just struggle to find the drive.

3 Likes

Like a lot of other people, it’s roleplay! There’s a lot of fun event series going on, and a lot of ways to get involved, or just hang out and chill. I have a lot of characters with different levels of “stuff going on”, and I’m always looking for things for them. I rarely come a night where there isn’t something to do. Plus, I DM frequently, so planning

Roleplay cuts into so much of my time, that I wish I had more time to play the game. I DM, and the planning takes a lot of time. I don’t wanna do raiding or M+ or rated. But, levelling some alts through old content, or hell… Even WQs are fun if you only do them a few times a month.

But still, roleplay good, and the like… It’s fun to hit buttons and watch red bars go down. It’s all the details at max level that make it unfun.

3 Likes

Habit and the quest for 1 million hks.

3 Likes

I mentioned it in another thread, but I’ve been leveling in Classic for the first time. It definitely has its flaws and reasons to not enjoy it. It’s slow, inconvenient, and difficult. But it’s also a true journey where you can see your progress, where every victory is hard fought. I’m at level 52 at the moment and I’m determined to get to 54 so I can put on the Imperial helm, aka the Stormwind Guard bucket. Then maybe I’ll go for 60 too!

5 Likes

This right here. Got into classic late and I’ve honestly been enjoying it. Decided to roll on a less popular server and I’ve had more interactions with people in the few short levels so far than in the entirety of my several max lvled characters in retail.

3 Likes

I been thinking about giving Classic another try. I only ever played as Horde back before Cata so a lot of the vanilla Alliance starting areas I’ve never actually played through so I think it might be a nice change of a pace to give it a try.

I know the Human and by extension Dwarf starting areas are apparently better than the Night Elf starting zones because I do remember the days of seeing a random low level Night Elf running threw the Wetlands or Ashenvale trying to escape Kalimdor to the better leveling areas lol.

1 Like

A few guildmates and I are considering rolling new characters in Classic in preparation for TBC. If anyone’s still playing around that time, feel free to drop me a line and we can reconnect.

As for the initial question, the number one reason I still enjoy playing as much as I do is my guild.

Second would be raiding - I’ve been our guilds raid leader for the past ten years and wouldn’t want it any other way.

Third, but certainly not last, is that I genuinely love the world we play in. The lore, the people, the feeling, the memories. All of it.

I’ve played other MMO’s throughout the years but nothing gets me quite like Warcraft.

2 Likes

Last summer during quarantine I played a looooot of Classic. I’ve tried to pick it up again but I haven’t found that next class to really capture me in ghat way again. Also I don’t have unlimited time to play, so the going is a lot slower than last time. I really truly enjoy Classic leveling more than retail though. It feels more rewarding and meaningful.

Thanks all for your answers. Keep them coming, I’m enjoying reading them! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I feel this SO HARD. I don’t see End Game Content™ as a requirement to my enjoyment, so I have been doing… literally everything else, now that I’ve capped Renown on my main. The anima rewards may be nice, but tbh I anticipate that they’ll make farming much easier in the next content patch, so I’m just Not Worrying about it. Worst case? When the new expansion hits, I’ll take an Alt or four through Chromie time and do it a little late. I’m not in a rush to complete the game.

So. What is there, if not endgame content?

Roleplay, yes, and I do a lot of stuff outside of the game itself to prepare for RP events, whether that’s creating art, writing performances, or making menus and flyers. I go to other guilds’ events to support the community, and as a result, for me, there is something to do nearly every night of the week.

Secondly, I recently decided I was going to start Pet Battling. Why not? It’s something I haven’t put much into prior to this just because I’ve been doing other stuff, but now I have a bunch of “spare time,” so I thought, “I’m going to do something new!” It’s been fun! Over the weekend, I got Kalimdor Tamer and I’m pretty close to getting the Kalimdor Safari too (just need a sandstorm in Tanaris x_x).

I do also enjoy farming for crafting. I do a lot of mining in particular because I make a LOT of fireworks for guild events and performance displays. Catch me swooping around Felwood mining Mithril for Solid Stones to make Elune Stones. I have SO MANY. I do a TON of treasure hunting in WOD to find blues and greens to grind up into Draenic Dust for Enchanted Dust, too. I’m a Succulent Tart! I cannot be caught without glitter, after all. (Also, unpopular opinion, but I genuinely love and enjoy playing WOD. It is my go-to expansion next to the Burning Crusade.)

I also farm; mogs! Mounts! Toys! I am literally parked on Kun-Lai Summit farming for the Pandaren Fireworks toy right this second. I love running Old School dungeons and raids, I like doing Old School questing, and there are so many rares in the game these days that drop mounts and cosmetics. There is over 15 years worth of Stuff to do, so I don’t feel like I need new stuff to keep me happy and entertained.

And you know, I do also enjoy a good PVP battle from time to time. Am I good at it? EH. But I ignore the chat for the most part and have a good time following the crowds as a healer.

I think that sometimes, “I’m just here for the roleplay” comes across as kind of negative, but prior to the pandemic, I did a lot of LARPing. Attendance fees cost $60+ for a three day weekend, not including travel costs and the money spent on costuming and props. World of Warcraft is $15 for a whole month of virtual LARPing, without any additional investment for travel or props outside of time. It’s incredibly cheap comparatively, even if all I did was log in for weekend events.

But that’s just me.

(I wish there were more separate shirts and skirts, personally. I would like to mix and match my robes a bit more u_u )

4 Likes

Roleplay has been my main drive for sticking with this game for years. I also enjoy leveling to some degree. Sometimes I’ll have the urge to quest; re-experience certain chains and campaigns I enjoy, or get a character to certain point for rp purposes.

Recently I had an urge to dip my metaphorical toes back into pvp, only to find that my computer is seemingly too old now to adequately run bgs. I suppose it’s probably for the best.

2 Likes