What is your take on An'she?

I’m 75% sure An’she exists. But it’s seem strange that Blizzard hasn’t developed his lore before, if they ever wanted to use him like in the case of Elune. Why An’she still didn’t show up? I have a few possible answers to this.

He’s not the main deity of the Taurens. They worship mostly Earth Mother. An’she is more worshiped by a smaller group of palladins. So if the topic of tauren gods comes up, blizz probably prefer to talk about EM.

Blizzard just doesn’t feel confident. They are often criticized (and rightly so) for stereotypical and sometimes racist tropes of non-European culture. Maybe they are just afraid of another wave of criticism?

The reason for his absence may be the wound from a fight with the great darkness, perhaps he’s in a coma all this time and only a small part of his power reaches most loyal followers. This is the reason why Elune has the power over light. By protecting wounded An’she she gained access to many of his powers.

Before Legion, the Titans, Sargeras, Elune and An’she had almost no major importance and were very distant creatures. Maybe these gods were never supposed to appear on live and become only tool to worldbuilidng, but after the success of Legion blizz decided to delve deeper into the cosology?

I hope he will appear soon and be important character on Elune side.

3 Likes

And why do so many people say that tauren mythology is wrong?

They knew that there was some deity inside the planet (Azeroth)

They knew about the existence of the black empire.

They knew that the White lady and the Blue child were siblings, not mother and child as the night elf myths said. So NE was wrong here.

As for Afterlife, all races were wrong (except trolls), so in this case everyone loses.

3 Likes

I’d love to hear more about him, sadly we know too little despite him being the source of tauren paladins.
I think he might have something to do with Sun Rocs from tauren mythology as well but sadly we don’t know, as the only mention of Sun Rocs is from dwarves back in vanilla that say that Sun Rocs is a creature featured in their own words “primitive” tauren myths.

In Season of Discovery, a big light crystal that fell from the sky is referred to as a tear of An’she. And is used to break the void box in the questline to acquire void-infused gear.
So not unlikely.

4 Likes

Um, what??

imagine using a random twitter user as a excuse to not explore anshe and tauren lore. actually hilarious considering you’re a dracthyr

4 Likes

Echoing some of Baals ideas but I do hope Anshe gets mentioned in the paladin hero tree, I feel like there could be interesting lore depending on the descriptions and how the abilities worked

5 Likes

True. I want clearly religious priest worldquests. Bless newborn children, hold funerals for the dead and hold marriage ceremonies. Extra fun when the there is some discrepancy. I doubt humans would want to hear hired troll priest talk about Bomswandi when holding a funeral for their beloved grandpa. They may accept a night elf talking about Elune, however. A ceremony quest would have the player choose between several phrases to say at a sermon where the trick is to choose phrases that are acceptable to the people AND the priests own believes. That troll priest may choose to not mention Bomswadi or could, if the player wants a hilarious outcome.

1 Like

Will likely be revealed to be either an aspect of Elune or Elune’s brother, given how in Tauren legend, An’she and Mu’sha are brother and sister, and Mu’sha is simply the Tauren name for Elune.

More likely both An’she and Elune are Aspects of the Earthmother. Why would he be an aspect of Elune? That’s just silly.

Are you purposefully trolling?

Highly unlikely that she is an aspect of the Earth Mother. Especially since we’ve seen her act through Tyrande. She’s no longer some vague entity that we see only through the power she wields, we now know she is the sister of the Winter Queen and part of the balance between life and death.

And by extension, since we know the Winter Queen is a robot made by the First Ones, Elune too is a robot made by the First Ones, likely made in Zereth Vitae, which is the Zereth for the cosmic realm of life.

I honestly have no idea who the earth mother could be, but she is clearly a separate entity. Speculation on the warcraft wiki says that she might be another name for Eonar or the slumbering world soul of Azeroth. Both of which are possible, although if I had to take a guess, I’d say the world soul of Azeroth, not Eonar.

2 Likes

If the Tauren belief is fact. Then she is the singlular creator of the known universe, or she’s Azeroth. I look forward to that mystery being explained at some point in the next three expansions.

1 Like

You are cute if you believe Blizzard gives a damm about the Tauren as a race.

1 Like

Heard you all talking about An’she!

Let me just say that we do a in character Story Circle on WrA that has been going since 2009. My Tauren shaman often tells the Eyes of the Earthmother story from the book (With proper credit) as that has a lot more detail and is well written and folks love it. People do care about Tauren lore and about An’she. On my server and in game I have seen people repeatedly talk about Tauren as being among their favorite race.

The Mists of Dawn story that can be found on Elder Rise speaks of An’she and his sister Mu’sha (Elune). That story was in vanilla so mention of him has been all the way back to the beginning of WoW. When Blizz gave Paladins and Priests to the Tauren and tied them to An’she, that was an excellent bit of world building.

In Mists of Pandaria, the Tauren tribe that the Horde encounter is the Dawnchaser Tribe, a tribe notable for their Sunwalkers and their Sunwalker Chieftain Dezco. I am not sure how much An’she is mentioned but the influence is there.

In WoD, Sunwalker Dezco can appear in the Garrison Tavrens and is looking into the Arakkoa and their worship of the sun. So we actually do have a different group worshipping a sun in the setting.

Sadly Legion gave us the Paladin Order hall and a lot of homogenization of the lore. It honestly started in Mists when small details, like NPC voice lines. Although I saw for that, the order hall I felt was worse and that was criticized as well.

Aponi Brightmane, when clicked on, can says the following lines though;

“Walk always in the Sun.” and “An’she’s warmth guide you.”

Even though Highmountain don’t mention An’she very much nor do they have Sunwalkers, there is a zone in Highmountain called the Fields of An’she. However, I have found that the questing experience doesn’t talk or show Highmountain druids at all.

But let’s get to Dragonflight. Baine’s quest in the Ohn’aharan Plains, in which Tauren can receive the heavily requested totem weapon, was a great new addition to lore and I felt well handed. Talking to the NPCs adds great world building, such as the Tauren nursery rhyme about the Centaur. That gave me chills. An’she is not mentioned though which is understandable.

However, Aponi Brightmane can be found in Teerakai and in her texts mentions her belief that An’she has smiled upon the Maruuk Centaur. While I was interacting with her she also said the line about An’she warmth.

So An’she has had a presence as a mythological figure since Vanilla and is mentioned when relevant, Mu’sha aka Elune has had a much larger presence in the game. It make sense since Night Elves have been pretty upfront in the story for the past few expansions. This is what people have been trying to say; give us more An’she and world building for the Tauren. They have gotten some but not as much as other races.

Blizz has not always handled the Tauren and their lore, especially when we consider they are heavily influenced by Native American Nations. Like other races, such as Gnomes, Tauren have not gotten a lot of attention. This could be for a number of reasons.

Rather than ignore the Tauren and their lore or world build that it was wrong, it would be better if Blizz gave proper and respectful representation.

So Shadowlands didn’t really treat the Tauren or Baine very well. I am convinced that Baine suffered from cut content so he just. In that Broker book, which is another point of view book, says the Tauren are stupid, their religion is wrong, and that they were really high and thought they were speaking to their ancestors. I say that was horribly wrong to do, both to the players and given the actual peoples the race’s culture is based off of. Thankfully it is still that “point of view” sort of thing and we do not have to take it as lore fact.

To continue this, as some have suggested, would be a continuous of that thread and such a terrible move. Showing that An’she is real and that Tauren religion is right about stuff would not take away from any other lore I can think of. Elune is still Elune, the Kaldorei are still her favorite children, the Light can still be the light, and the sun, An’she; the brother of Mu’sha, is still the source of light based power for the Tauren Sunwalkers. Similar to how the Zandalari Prelates had Rezan.

A very good question. I would say it is because of the writing of Baine as a character and how Shadowlands treated the Tauren. For the most part, anuway.

Lastly, I would like to add that the lack of worldbuilding or terrible writing of a character or race, should not be reason to deny any further writing or worldbuilding.

10 Likes

It is in the Grimoire of Shadowlands. It explains how the Broker makes fun of Tauren beliefs which are wrong because spirits pass over into the afterlifes and DO NOT STAY IN AZEROTH EVER.

Grimoire of the Shadowlands is from a Broker’s perspective. An “unreliable narrator” as Blizzard loves to say. Meaning his word is not gospel and he could be entirely wrong.

5 Likes

Exactly. Right, wrong, only opinion, we have no idea. We also don’t even know if this is just want one Broker is saying or if other Brokers feel the same way. Really the only good thing about the writing actually as having that be a perspective in a major book at all rather than some side note was a terrible decision.

I am not entirely sure where you are getting that. I don’t recall seeing mention of Tauren believing that. I remember old speculation and/or old sources pointing toward Tauren spirits going to the Emerald Dream.

However, in the Tauren Heritage quest, Cairne and Tamaala (Baine’s mother?) appear as spirits in Thunder Bluff and speak to Baine and the Tauren champion. We have a number of quests that deal with speaking to spirits and ghosts, even without necromancy keeping them on Azeroth. Let’s not forget there is a whole zone in Legion with the ghosts of Kaldorei so spirits can remain on Azeroth.

1 Like

Ancestor worship means the spirits can come back to Azeroth to guide their sucessors. But this is proben fake since Tauren souls are not treated differently as we see Huln in the Ardenweald.

Alright, well…

Spirits do stay on Azeroth, without necromancy, and we have multiple examples in the game.

Counter point; Huln being in Ardenweald doesn’t actually prove that their beliefs are fake or wrong, nor does the Tauren getting their memories erased in Bastion.

The evidence I will provide for this is that during the in-game cinematic where we see the red light (Argus’s spirit) strike the Arbiter in Oribos, we saw there were actually a lot of doors/portals leading to different afterlives. That implies there is actually a lot more afterlives than we see. We just go to the big, notable ones.

The Arbiter chooses who goes where based on their traits. Huln was sent to Ardenweald because he was a defender of the wilds. Others go to Bastion because they were dutiful in life. I believe there is some quest texts that mention briefly there are many other afterlives.

Therefore there must be an afterlife for the Tauren, where Cairne probably went. However, this could be simply formed out of their faith.

Anyway, it is best that to state for a fact in lore that any race is wrong in their beliefs. The beauty about WoW is that it has so much which amounts to a little of everything for everyone. That helps it have it’s broad appeal. To do this to a race and their lore that players have had and enjoyed for a long time is very unfair to those players.

Why is everyone so butthurt about Tuaren mythology being obvious primitive junk? The same thing happened to Orcs, but worse. Turns out Oshu’gun was just a Draenic spirit-magnet hell that trapped dead Orcish spirits there, keeping them from their true afterlife.

Not only was Orcish mythology wrong, it turned out to be a horrible, gruesome lie that trapped the spirits of the dead in limbo on the mortal plane over many thousands of years. Like, that’s an unspeakable nightmare. Imagine your entire afterlife not only being a lie, but that what you thought was heaven was in actuality a hell.

An’she being a fictitious deity because some primitive cows thought the sun was a god? That’s pretty standard stuff, not even outside the norm.

Erevien, please stop making the attacks personal.

I can’t even imagine the misery a Blizzard writer likely has when they look at the Tauren and try to write a story that won’t just result in hatred and screaming.

Which is an argument for not just mimicking a culture, especially when the “culture” in question is actually many, many cultures that are often treated as being one and the same, when this couldn’t be any further from the truth.

4 Likes