What is your take on An'she?

Given the current context of the lore, what is your current hypothesis on what An’she really is? First she was a counterpart of balance to the night powers of Elune but now we know Elune is actually tied to the Winter Queen and represents life. An’she still though is some representation of the Light. I mean it would be odd contextually if she was a hidden Na’aru. So what’s your running idea at this point or maybe what idea could they implement that would make sense to you?

3 Likes

Until l she actually makes an appearance as a distinct being, I put Tauren sun diety as her definition and leave it at that. There isnt anything else to work with.

3 Likes

As far as we know outside of Tauren mythology we have no viable proof about a sun deity actually existing in WoW.

1 Like

An’she is nonexistent, and nobody gave a rip about this obscure and irrelevant aspect of Tauren lore until whackadoos like Bael on this forum starting unhealthily obsessing over the topic day in and day out. If it wasn’t for them, nobody would be talking about it.

1 Like

An’she is specifically referred to as a he.

As for what he is, what we know canonically is that An’she is the “right eye of the Earth Mother” in the same way that Mu’sha is the left eye. We also know that he is the source of Tauren paladins’ power, as Aponi Brightmane rediscovered the ancient deity in Northrend and brought him back into the limelight for the Tauren back in Kalimdor, which led to the formation of the Sunwalkers.

While Mu’sha is pretty heavily implied to be Elune, I’m confident that An’she is an entirely separate being with his own. I also think it would be really neat if An’she was actually the source of the Light and all of its power. The Naaru are tears of An’she shed across the universe to spread his warmth and comfort to those outside of Azeroth.

So, I guess we should just leave Tauren lore unexplored and alone? We shouldn’t expand upon ideas that Blizzard put into the game all the way back in 2008? The only reason it’s “obscure and irrelevant” (It’s not irrelevant it’s quite literally the reason we have Tauren Paladins) is because Blizzard has done a poor job of properly expanding upon him, giving him barely a fraction of the time they give other entities, especially Elune.

18 Likes

Honestly, I expect us to learn that An’she isn’t actually a thing and the tauren are just deluded. We’ve already been told that the ancestor-worship part of their religion is objectively wrong, so why not this as well?

6 Likes

We simply don’t know enough about An’she, and that is an issue for world building.

Or, it was Elune all along. Tee-hee.

5 Likes

(post deleted by author)

I think WoW would only benefit from having a more extended set of deities and mythology rather than turning everything into singularity

16 Likes

I don’t like interactions with gods like the night elves have with elune.

I don’t mind interaction with ancients and loa.

That would just make the generic nature of Priests even more awkward.

3 Likes

I suppose that’s where racial class distinctions come into play. Prolates worshipping Rezan instead of a Naaru. Orc priests worshiping Rukhmar.

As an aside, if the Arakkoa were able to worship/ summon an Old God from Azeroth (presumably) it would be cool if orcs could still summon Rukhmar, since Night Elf druids were able to summon Anzu.

The closest thing to an overgod like DND has would be the First Ones.

4 Likes

Another terribly underutilized deity. I legitimately only learned about Tauren religion after becoming the token Forsaken player in a Tauren RP guild.

I love the Tauren but in the same way I love my cousins. Have no idea WTF they’re doing 30% of the time but seems legit.

They’re probably the most ignored race in general. They basically turn up to be the typical Nobel Savage™ when the Orcs or Undead get too wild eyed.

I’m still sad the moose dudes have had dick all to do. Man they’re minotaurs riding giant bald eagles with bows the size of a ballista. Get out of my face if that doesn’t sound cooler than the other side of the pillow.

8 Likes

We know the Afterlife so apart from trolls pretty much all spirtualism is proven fake.

1 Like

Eh I’m in Camp “Pretend BFA / SL never happened UNLESS you’re building off the more interesting bits”.

This is all pretend we can just wave it away. It’s fine. Nobody has to care.

10 Likes

Actually, they could have an event surrounding that. There are plenty enough of quasi deities around as Ancients and Loa.

We also have the now re-empowered Dragon Aspects that seem to be at pretty much on the same power level as ancients/Loa. Imagine if the Dragon Aspects went through some form of transformation now when they are empowered by the Emerald Dream and became new Ancients/Loa. Actual cults could form around them. It may be silly but with all the weird cultists that has caused so much trouble for Azeroth over the years it could be nice if they directed their devotion towards some more benign forces. Simply put, elevate them to godhood and then have them, over a season, realise that this is the ultimate power they were denied when empowered directly by the Titans. Then we can have Elune, An’she, form another, higher rank on the ladder but they would all be part of a pantheon.

1 Like

Or maybe the spiritualism was right and the afterlife we see in Shadowlands are wrong. I never like the existence of Ouroboros, it is like it doesn’t belong there and what is now the Maw was originally meant for some other purpose. It is like the other afterlives are leeching anima from the dead and they probably should not. I strongly dislike how they insist on rebaking the souls into new forms and stripping their memory. I have seen Ardenweald, it is NOT a place for elves, the inhabitants are clearly not elves but some other species.

Imagine if the locations we see in Shadowlands are remnants of dead worlds and their inhabitants continue to exist by stripping anima from the dead.

Also Baine soured the race for me so I don’t think they deserve nice things until he is gone as leader.

IMO it be good to explore another entity and give a bit of rest to the Nightelves and Elune story telling since we kind of know that Elune is tied to Life, even having a sister The Winter Queen in the SL.

Specially now that we are dealing with the Void, it be good to explore An’she lore his conection if any with the Void, Tauren or his role is it diferent from his sisters she being Arcane, Shadow and life and HIM bing more light/fire oriented to life?..

I found the Taurens side of the mythos interesting and would like to know if the “wound” that was inflicted on him is what has kept him silent all these years.

Also maybe know more about the Blue Child Lo’sho, Azeroth second moon that has barely been touch in the game or lore that I’m aware of. Could it be tie in with the High/blood elves in some small o big way… or not. (Blue eyes come from arcane (order) so its just a silly theory Matching the whole BLUE CHILD stuff!) lol :woozy_face:

Maybe that huge Light crystal in the underground new map (in the next expansion) is the “piece” that fell when An’she was wounded by “The Shadows”?

Definitely I have a good feeling that we will finally explore other races lore and its origins in the next expansion!
:crossed_fingers: :grimacing:

2 Likes