What is your favorite ice cream?

I’m not sure actually, it’s been decades for me. I think i’ve seen it with m&ms though

1 Like
  1. Pistachio
  2. Spumoni
  3. Neapolitan
1 Like

Oh, on the subject of ice cream, if any of you are ever in the SF Bay Area, stop by a Loard’s Ice Cream parlor, if you can find one. Their ice cream is so good, but I swear they can’t seem to keep locations open. Not a lot of people go to old school ice cream parlors anymore. The Dusty Road sundae was my favorite.

Sadly, it’s been well over a decade since I’ve had some. I hope they’re still as good as they were. When I lived in Paradise, CA, before it burned down, I’d drive an hour to have a sundae at the one in Willows. When that one shut down I’d drive an hour and a half to the one in Lincoln. But that one went away too.

1 Like

By far, if you ask me, the best ice cream comes with some wonderful memories.

When I was a little boy, we made home-made ice cream on the farm. The men all stood around outside and would crank the container in the ice and salt around and around, and if you were the littlest kid, it was your job to sit on top of the crank to “help”. Once the task was complete and the ice cream was breaking the seal on the lid, it was transported to the women in the house and, if you were the littlest kid, it was your job to lick the beaters; the big blades that spun inside the container: the first in line, the best ice cream ever because you worked for it.

Since then, as I’ve gone through the latter days onto the twilight of my life, I’ve tried every kind of ice cream that I could find; in every state (Thomas Jefferson’s ice cream recipe at Mount Rushmore) to Scotland to Hong Kong to Costa Rica. And I have loved them all.

I grew up on Dairy Queen soft-serve when the water fountain outside had the coldest water you could imagine but today I can’t trust some sixteen-year-old kid cleaning that machine as the last job every night.

Having gone through all the ice creams listed so far in this 100-response thread, they are all good, but I find that I prefer simple vanilla ice cream with my own arsenal of chocolate sauce, caramel sauce, root beer, coca-cola or even simple milk in a glass with two scoops.

The key, I think, is that last taste the lingers on after you are done.

Ice Cream Lovers, I salute you!

2 Likes