What is wrong with surv atm?

Sound like the reason it’s more boring than it should be.

1 Like

Pretty much for the reason Ghorak mentioned. They unpruned a few things to say they did but then made it so very few to no one would actually use said unpruned abilities. They could have unpruned some of our utility like distracting shot for instance, but instead gave us all arcane shot. But then made it so both BM and SV never have a reason to use it.

4 Likes

Was Distracting Shot removed in Legion or BFA?

I’ve said it before…

• Distracting Shot - modified/updated to interact with Misdirection.
  • Aspect of the Fox - modified WoD-iteration(with a shared CD or a sated-debuff added to avoid promoting class stacking).
  • Pet specs - changeable again.
  • Master’s Call - baseline again. If you have a pet out, you should be able to use it no matter the pet.

…to name a few.

It was removed in the prepatch for Legion(end of WoD).

4 Likes

It should be noted that even if this aura didn’t exist SV would still be weaker in ranged because not only are its melee abilities tuned to do much better damage but all the spec’s interactions lie there.

This is why I feel confident in saying SV takes away from the base class by not being ranged capable. You don’t literally lose the ranged abilities you get from 1-10 when you spec Survival (in contrast to Legion and BFA where you did literally lose them), but the spec is tuned in such away that you will never use them and to be competitive you have to be in melee range.

8 Likes

I think the only thing it is really missing improving their survivability a bit more against other melee. You can’t engage with any other melee class for more than a couple seconds or you’re dead.

A single self heal on a 2 min cd, and a shell that completely destroys any offensive momentum on a 3 min cd are fine for a ranged spec when the object is to get away from the other player to do damage, but doesn’t help when you need to engage with melee to do damage.

That coupled with the defensive component of our mastery (passive heal over time) being pretty dang weak in the fast paced nature of the game and you can see where we run into problems. Other melee classes like say, enhance shamans have nice self healing to offset engaging in melee.

The fact that I need to play almost exclusively as a ranged class when I’m fighting other melee makes playing survival difficult sometimes.

2 Likes

I understand what you are trying to imply. But a weapon swapping spec is terrible. I don’t think any of the players that complete content want that.

Also on both sides, we pretty much don’t care about the baseline utility returned except for tranq shot which you can use as a Sv hunter.

It’s either going to stay melee and need work or go back to ranged. It is hybrid a little now, but weapon swapping would just be awful.

Also it appears you’ve just started on this hunter but you don’t really have much experience in the class let alone asking for people to fight you on your position.

When you say weapon swapping are you implying you need to switch weapons by manually switching them? I’m sure you aren’t but I just want to be certain.

Been playing Hunter since wrath but skipped first half of legion and bfa due to life. Clearly I haven’t really lived through every single change but i’m not clueless.

I am because from some other threads you’ve posted in as well as your post here regarding PvP that’s what you seemingly implied asking it to be both.

SV does a lot of damage at ranged even now in PvP due to bombs, ss and kill command.

But I do get the confusion with the tiny weapon we pull out for some ranged stuff like ss and kill shot.

That’s the issue though. It needs a clear identity. Clearly without weapon swapping it ends in these awkward interactions.

I’m not saying you are, but some of the things you’re questioning are things that have long been around and discussed.

Yep, it’s a manual weapon swap unless you set up all sorts of macros for each weapon. And when you upgrade your weapon you need to redo the macro with the new weapon.

That alone deters many from trying the spec.

They need to make weapon swapping like a druid switching forms. If I’m in bear or cat form and cast wrath, the game game automatically switches me to caster form and casts the wrath. I don’t manually need to hit caster form then wrath…

Or if they want to make it easier, just add weapons that can be used as melee or ranged. In real life we have those rifles with knives at the end. Add something like that so we can both melee and used ranged attacks without all the swapping nonsense.

That may well be true but having not read most of those I was able to form and express my own opinions the topic of SV.

As far as the weapon swapping is concerned obviously I said that you would hold both weapons so there wouldn’t be any bag swapping. And don’t call that stupid because that was the case prior to the MOP prepatch.

1 Like

Weapon swapping just shouldn’t exist period. I’ve only seen very few folks want that due to the baseline abilities that came back. And most of them have been lowbie alts or players that don’t even play/main hunter.

Edit: that’s also where a lot of MSV hatred comes from. Seems like every day some very loud fresh no-experience hunter comes on here completing vomiting on the forums; to include asking for a tank spec lol

1 Like

Holding both is workable. I don’t hate that idea. But man there would be some serious ability bloat.

I think most players want a clear defined spec which can be appropriately tuned. I think it would be quite difficult to make the idea work in a way that would function well in today’s game. Much like what they have an issue with figuring how MSV works right now, which subjectively is simpler than what you are describing would be.

1 Like

I would equate them doing this to what they did in Legion when they gave some of the old RSurv talents to MM but no one really used them because they were just the abilities in name only and were useless. I think the only one to survive is Exp shot.

But the point is they gave abilities they knew people wouldn’t use and Like they did in BfA remove BA because they said no one used it , I can see them taking away some of these shared abilities and going the other specs didn’t use them .

1 Like

Before the changes in Cata there was no weapon swapping because hunters had both range and melee weapons equipped . I don’t see why they couldn’t go back to that concept if they want to make surv both melee wit hrange aspectss or vise versa.

Mine hate goes all the way back to 6.2 when they broke it to make it melee for Legion

2 Likes

I mean that’s old news. That’s an opinion on blizzards decision making with had nothing to do with players. I’m talking about forum posters and non productive discussions lol

I know you disagree, but this to me just supports my position that ranged dps need more weaknesses. Disadvantages while in melee range would be good for balance.