What is wrong with an evil Horde?

I wasn’t disagreeing with you either, just adding to the point.

I’ll have to take your word for it. My time with SWTOR came to its final end at Eternal Throne when I got fed up that my smuggler kept being shoehorned into a proxy Jedi role.

She was going to torch the tree anyway. The entire war was started to feed the Maw new souls and appease her new sugardaddy after all.

It would be interesting to see how this plays out.

The only ones Alliance side who haven’t agreed to armistice are the understandably angry night elves. If they were to invade Horde territory on a quest for revenge, how would the rest of the Alliance respond? Support their allies or honor the armistice?

Tough call, Anduin.

3 Likes

This is even stated in a good war, only the maw part wasn’t revealed at that point. Yet, many people still think that somehow it was a retcon when it was all there from the beginning.

Depends on what they invade, I would say. There’s a difference in if they’d want to invate let’s say Ashenvale or if they just straight up wanted to invade Orgrimmar.

While former is reasonable and would probably get support from the Alliance, the latter is just straight up unrealistic and would cause even worse consequences for both sides.

To be fair, no it wasn’t.
If you want an example for an evil Horde something like the Hell Horde could work, or the Dark Horde.
The Horde in BfA did some evil things, like burning Treldrassil. But it wasn’t really about the whole Horde being evil and at the end mostly Sylvanas and the comical bad mustache twirling villain writing.

I disagree. Most WoW players likely didn’t even play WC3. Don’t get me wrong the concept is great.
I myself like it, but I also like a WC2, or a Dark Horde.
What I don’t like are constant stupid villain moments for no reason and switching between different opposite motives for a faction.

Pretty much this. If new additional factions will never be a thing (which they won’t).

1 Like

An outright evil horde would def make me quit. I signed up to play noble savages and savage nobles, not outright monsters.

4 Likes

Hmm no Vulpera. Hmmmm. :thinking:

Were you trying to quote the post right above yours? The system does seem to remove a full quote of the post above the reply. I guess cause it is just repeating what your post follows.

Not so sure but it also removed the indicator of who I was answering, I’ll pay attention to that in future replies thx for your help :slightly_smiling_face:

Anytime. (10 Characters)

wtb bandit horde.

1 Like

It’s all in the presentation. The Forsaken Cataclysm questing experience is an undoubtedly evil one, but one that was largely enjoyed because the behaviour of the Forsaken is consistent with what the player was advertised when they chose that faction, and because the narrative didn’t attempt to guilt the player for being a monster - instead, the narrative made it fun.

MoP and BfA have this weird through-line where they simultaneously tell the Horde player to feel pride and shame for the acts of evil they are committing. Of course it’s not going to work.

4 Likes

Going off topic for a moment but just want to say: Ugh. Same. Why they made every class go through a story that would’ve been just fine if they simply kept it restricted to Jedi Knights and/or Sith Warriors (because of the Valkorion-Vitiate connection) is something I still don’t understand, but as a smuggler and imp agent player I absolutely hated that storyline.

2 Likes

WTB One Piece pirate Horde.

The Horde should be like Whitebeard’s fleet.

1 Like

Man, this sounds disappointing. I was thinking of going back and playing my Imp. Agent next.

Obviously good faction full of humans and their near-human allies vs obviously evil faction full of ‘exotic’ non-humans is uninspired, insensitive, and runs counter to the idea that made Warcraft 3 such a huge critical/commercial hit.

It’s also restricting in terms of story, as it gives less room for nuance or conflicts that doesn’t just boil down to “we kill you because we’re good/evil and you’re evil/good.”

Exploring these elements in a different way opens up a wealth of new world building and storytelling opportunities. This novelty creates more opportunities for feelings of discovery, surprise, wonder and immersion in a world people might not be as familiar with.

Sometimes it can even lead people to engage in critical thinking and even a little self reflection in their own lives in a way that a more simplistic “x good, y evil” narrative does not.

7 Likes

My god, this is EXACTLY what drew me and my real life friends to this fantasy world mmo…

"The turning typical fantasy tropes on their head"

I was SOOOOOoooo tired of play Goody humans, Elves vs Evil Orcs, Monsters at that time… Jeezz I remember being so hook on this new Blizz concept that broke in such a fun way the traditional D&D or Lord of the Rings fantasy consept! :sweat_smile:

Ooooo I hope someday in the future get to play Hero Classes like Blood Mage, Lich, Warden, Shadow Hunter… etc. Or other monstrous races like Vamps, Shades, Demons etc…

:crossed_fingers: :grimacing:
Keep turning or breaking the typical fantasy tropes on their head blizz! DO ITzzzz!
:muscle: :grin:

PS: YEP had to much Fel this morning! haha :rofl:

5 Likes

I agree with this. The only thing is that nuance requires the writers to be you know…good. Don’t know how different the writing staff is in WoW at this point, but they can barely do black vs white well at this point.

BfA was their attempt at nuance and they turned it into good vs evil black and white and still effed it up.

I think the days of expecting thought provoking narrative from Blizzard is long gone lol.

3 Likes

They aren’t savages. They are exotic outsiders. Horde turned far too diverse over time to just brand them as savages. They have Forsaken, Goblins, Elves, Vulpera and Pandaren. None of these are savages with an objective view on their racial themes and culture.

I would rather hope for playable ogres or mogu.

2 Likes

All good works requires the writers to be good. Bad writers handling black and white uninspired derivative work don’t produce “better” work than bad writers making an attempt at something more nuanced and failing at it. They produce work that’s just as bad. Even worse, they often produce work that’s even less engaging/memorable because it fails to distinguish itself from the scores of better executed stuff out there.

While the bombastic war campaign was mostly a flop, the smaller stories told in the leveling zones were a lot more engaging and entertaining and did have more depth. Just to use an example: they took a race (the Zandalari) that had previously been nothing more than quest dispensers in Vanilla and enemies in a MoP patch, and made them into one of the most popular allied races that’s not an idealistic self-insert fantasy, but definitely not villainous.

Blizzard can do writing that’s more nuanced. They’ve done it before. They did it some in BfA. They can do it again.

3 Likes

Not going to lie, the way the leveling storylines are all good then proceeds to fall off the cliff once the leveling stops makes me think there are writers that handle the leveling, and they aren’t involved with the overarching story, and the “main writers” who wants to be GRRM but don’t have the talent lol.

7 Likes