What is something in gaming that makes u sad

As much as I enjoy M+, “gotta go fast” makes me sad.

1 Like

This goes way beyond gaming. There have been several “Computer Archiving” efforts to preserve data from older systems. The problem, as you have mentioned, is that data stored by old computers exists on punch cards, punch tape, 2,400 foot magnetic tape, old disk drives etc.

Not only is the equipment gone that could mount those volumes but the computers, hardware controllers, operating systems and applications are gone as well. For example, say you had data on a 2,400 foot mag tape that was formatted and written out by an Autocoder program on an IBM 1401. How would you possibly read that volume today?

Every so often Astronomers see a new asteroid and wonder if it had been seen before and recorded on a computer. Again, even if those tapes were around, is there a computer that could read them?

One solution to this problem is the ability to write things out in XML which is a text based file format that includes both the data and the meta-data to explain the organization and format of the data you are seeing. This is see as one of the solutions to the computer archiving problem.

Things like that make me incredibly glad that archive.org exists. They put a tremendous amount of work into archiving everything they can, including things like obsoleted software and media from dead formats.

2 Likes

MTX and Live service games that aren’t MMOs.

I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.

Do you really want them? You know they’ll just bloat them with MTX and battle passes.

When I lose contact with friends I have made in online games.
Everquest Online Adventures was my first MMORPG. I made so many friends
playing that.

Well, it shut down in 2012. It makes me feel sad when I think about the fact
that i will probably never hear from them, or get to speak to them, ever again.

Rosie, Roby, Arbysauce and Amn. Whereever you are. Heres to you and all the good times. I really hope we will run into each other again someday.

Spoilers for ME and Witcher 3 but…

The deaths of Thane and Mordin in Mass Effect… :sob:
Witcher 3 when you thought Ciri was dead.

I don’t know if those are still spoilers, really. It’s been 12 years.

Eh… some might not have played them and have them in their que, no harm in making it known that it could be.

Gamers.

2 Likes

roblox_oof.mp4

Gaming went from something losers did and got big and attracted big capital.

When my leaders die in Stellaris.

Also, btw, Paradox, not cool making starting leaders all die within 10 years of each other.

The whole ending of Red Dead Redemption 2

The Ganbare Goemon series of video games is dead

Almost all of Mass Effect 3

Advent Rising never got a sequel. It ended on a bit of a cliffhanger, too.

have you looked at sea of stars? iirc it’s supposed to be a spiritual successor to chrono trigger.

My playthrough of Persona 5 Royal.

Like wtf?

[Spoilers below]

[Something negative] Goro Akechi

The one thing that has made me sad cry in gaming within the past ten years is a spoiler for Destiny 2:

Cayde sacrificing himself at the end of The Final Shape to recharge our Ghost light.

The only thing that has made me sad in gaming in recent memory.

what made me cry was mass effect 3’s ending…so sad how they butchered it. actually mass effect 3 in general story was just sad…

1 Like