What is demonology good for?

Hiya Warlock gurus.

I want to play demonology, but everything I see says it’s garbage and a wasted spec. Is it good at anything? ST? Aoe? Pvp?

I just wanna know what I’d be getting myself into

1 Like

i hear is good for the bench!

35 Likes

It’s terrible for PvP. I would never use it for that unless you really love Demonology and PvP.

For raids its playable, I guess. A bit clunky at certain levels of haste but serviceable. It probably won’t be good at any of the fights and it will be really bad at some of them.

For M+ it’s decent if it’s anything like BFA. Might be really good if Blizzard decides to let that dogbite build see any use, but given the way things have gone I doubt it.

So for all major forms of end-game progression it’s mediocre at best, and borderline unplayable at worst. Some people really enjoy the playstyle, but those people are in the vast minority considering how often the spec is actually played. If you really like it then go for it I guess, but don’t expect it to excel at anything, especially compared to Affliction and Destruction.

10 Likes

It’s good for remembering what it used to be

27 Likes

It’s good for having fun. The design of the spec makes its speciality pure ST and stacked cleave. However the spec has been tuned to rather poor damage in SL beta and it wasn’t in an amazing numbers place in live so it muddles through prepatch as well.

If they ever tune warlock numbers before release it stands a chance. A slim one but one. Depends on too many factors atm.

4 Likes

It’s great as a guinea pig for the devs

5 Likes

Its not good at PVE number and mechanics wise.

If that wasnt enough, they destroyed it in PvP with SL with a 6 sec timer on pet summon and poor pet survivability (demo requires a pet for its survivability).

Its bad.

2 Likes

It makes it easier to decide what spec to play since it’s always terrible.

3 Likes

its good for 1v1 wpvp skirmishes (get instanct cc’s, big burst); the fel domination actually makes the pet battle rez a lot easier in the prepatch;
it was fine for M+ through 15 in bfa; probably needed some more buffs from Blizz to probably go beyond that.

1 Like

It’s pretty good at being the red-headed stepchild of the Warlock family.

1 Like

Demonology is the solo player spec. You walk around with a pocket tank, an absorb shield, and other stuff like that. You have to really try to get yourself killed in demon spec in the open world.

In dungeons/raids? Well, you’re putting out less damage than the Demo or Affliction locks, but you have better survivability, and your horde of demons helps build soul shards for Hand of Guldan, giving you more AoE, and procs for instant cast demon bolts, or whatever they’re called.

Plus, I mentioned the horde? You have your main demon, up to five imps that spawn in firebolting things, two felstalkers you summon, one of those fel beasties from Argus, a tyrant, and a gazer thing. All either doing damage while they’re out or increasing your demons’ damage. And then you have the ‘drain hp from my demons to heal myself’ thing.

If you’re going to tryhard, go with Aff or Destro. If you’re just looking for fun? Demon is very low stress, and you are far more survivable than other specs.

3 Likes

demonology is great for self loathing

5 Likes

Demonology has more survivability than the other specs, as well as more reliable CC.

Its DPS however does require alot of rampup, but on the bright side once you get to that point your damage is tolerable if not imposing.

In PVP its the same thing as PVE, much harder to take down compared to other specs. Your like a ticking time bomb because if you have the same item level, anyone caught within your reach once you got the full demon army set up aint gonna live to tell the tale.

This is just from my experience.

Absolutely nothing! Did anyone else just get that song stuck in their head or is it just me?

8 Likes

Terrible for pvp.

In 2v2, there is but one demo player in the top 100 ladder for 2v2 arena; in 3v3, there is none. Some player who really love demo have achieved good results in the ladder, but had they tried a different class or spec, they could probably have done much better.

2 Likes

U can probably get away with some solo content, o wait the new new summoning time on demons is trash after fel dom use

2 Likes

A good reminder of what is a badly designed spec.

9 Likes

In the beginning of expansions, players test it and see how it is in the PTR, then whatever was weak is made strong and whatever is strong becomes weak. Everyone gets to be disappointed.

Garbage? If you play for mathematical purposes, and not simple good ol’ fashion fun maybe - I love it.

2 Likes

This isn’t wow classic, they’re good for more than just “solo play”

With that being said, OP please refer to one of the other two specs while blizz figures out when they want to delete demo. Thank you sir.

On serious note. Demo never does well beginning of any xpac. Scales well though, all in due time.