What is allowed for multiboxing?

I am interested in trying it but I don’t know what is and is not allowed in terms of using external programs like AutoHotKey to broadcast to multiple WoW windows.

I know multiboxing itself it not against the rules, but can I get banned for using programs that let me control multiple characters with one input? I don’t want to try it if there is a chance of me losing my account.

As long as you are not using any macros that can’t be made in-game, no automation/botting and only broadcasting 1 action per key-press per account, you should be fine.

Blizz won’t give you the ‘green light’ on any specific programs though as they’re not supported by Blizz.

But simply broadcasting a key-press to be pressed in each instance of the game is totally fine.

6 Likes

Thank you!

I was apprehensive due to this post which implies that they don’t investigate whether or not the external program was used in a “legitimate” way and will ban you regardless, but I guess this is specific to overwatch?

Perl is correct in that we’re not really able to provide specifics on it, Gophendax. It’s part of the permitted but not supported stance we have there.

There are a number of sites that discuss common multi-boxing practices though, which may be helpful to you.

To be a little clearer about the post you linked, Gophendax, that seems to be on the Overwatch forum. I can’t imagine a single instance where using Autohotkey for Overwatch would be appropriate.

9 Likes

They most certainly do investigate - the WoW internal logs show a lot of detail, and Warden (Blizzard’s anti-cheat detection) will alert Blizzard of cheat software installed on your system.

5 Likes

I’m curios about this as well. I have seen a guy running 16 different druids this way, and just destroying things. What I would want to know, after reading the “formal” acknowledgement of this, is how do you know what is a legit way to do it, and abide by their rules still? I mean, I know this guy (hopefully) had to pay for 16 different accounts? Or did he run 16 different toons from the same account? How does all of that work? I mean, yeah, he’s an Idiot either way. Who needs 16 druids, even worse if he pays for them all, but just curious how it works.

EDIT: Also, race changed recently, and still says human, and shows pandaran. They need faster updates too :stuck_out_tongue:

He would be paying for x16 separate WoW licenses as you can only log into x1 character per license at a time. He could have x2 Battle Net accounts though, as each one could hold x8 WoW licenses. So some sharing of mounts & other account-wide items could be used.

But if he is making enough gold from the multi-boxing, he might just be paying for his time with Tokens.

2 Likes

You’d be best to google some sites on Multiboxing. While multiboxing doesn’t violate any rules, it’s not supported by Blizz. There are plenty of ways to multibox well within the rules. Multiboxing has been around far longer than WoW too.

o.O They are? Not sure how you came to that conclusion, but multiboxing actually takes a lot of skill and patience. Some people play to PVP, some for raiding or dungeons, some play to solo the content and some just play the AH. As for multiboxers, the challenge is in the craft.

Not really up to us to decide how others play really.

5 Likes

Just meaning if someone pays money for 16 different accounts, just to have 16 different druids, it seems Idiotic to me, but if he is making the gold to cover that cost, I guess then there’s that. I never thought of that aspect. Guess that makes me the fool :disappointed:

1 Like

Really? people are allowed to have their hobbies. I’m 53 years old and I play with toy soldiers and roll dice. I spend quite a bit on my hobby, so do Multiboxers.

6 Likes

Yeah, maybe, but would you spend this kind of money on 16 of the same virtual toy soldiers? I could see on buying actual ones, that you could collect, just saying, Imo, it seems Idiotic to pay actual money for 16 different accounts, then make 16 copies of the exact same toon. Idk, maybe he’s leveling them for people, who knows. I don’t have any Idea, was just stating, from my observations, that it was a waste, but like I stated already, I don’t know all of this person’s reasons, so I shouldn’t judge them, and I made myself out to look the fool. Sorry. I just thought it would be more beneficial to make 16 different classes, not knowing the full commitment that multi-boxing required.

I wouldn’t, but I’m not judgmental of those that do.

6 Likes

Druids have a very unique toolset that helps with farming quite a bit. From the instant flight form, being able to interact with some objects while flying (still have to land to herb/mine though), the AOE attacks that Balance Druids have, etc.

So I can see why having all the same class would be beneficial to a multi-boxer – esp. for farming (as well as PVP or dungeons). It is a LOT easier to keep track of all their abilities if the classes are all the same.

In my limited scope of playing multiple accounts at once – running x4 DKs through the starting area at the same time. Cannot imagine the headaches of trying to do different classes (in a different area of course). Esp. since I was just alt-tabbing between the games and didn’t have any type of multi-box setup going. That was NOT easy, lol.

2 Likes

What does “not supported but allowed” mean?

The way I interpret it is that while they do allow it (so long as all normal game rules are followed and NO automation is done), they will not offer support for it (as in helping you figure out how to do it or set it up, or offer support for the programs, etc.).

3 Likes

think of it like this, 10 druids, all with maxxed out herbs find an anchor weed spawn, they each can tap it, BAM Min 50 anchorweed at like 50 gold a pop that’s 2500 gold for 5 seconds work. Paying for your monthly sub, expansions etc is pretty easymode for hardcore multiboxers. Its pretty fun gameplay. Druids are the master boxing class

1 Like

5 not 10. There is a limit to the number of characters that can tap a herb/mine node. That’s why you see groups of 5 not groups of 10 normally. A group of 10 would more likely be farming mobs than farming resources.

1 Like

upto 10 can tap a node, 5 can tap a world mob. that’s why we run 2x4 teams and 8-10 man farm teams for resources. Tho polite boxers will leave a few taps for solo farmers

I just want to put it out there - there’s no way to broadcast herb picking to other windows, so you have to manually switch to each one and right-click. So that’d take about 20 seconds instead of 5 if you’re really practiced at it :wink:

1 Like

Not true. It is possible and allowed.