What if we DON'T want Burning Crusade?

I don’t recall seeing anything outlining how Blizzard plans to go about doing TBC.

The most logical thing is to copy characters over to a new BC server and leave classic wow as is on classic servers.

This would leave those classic servers a ghost town.

It makes more sense to transfer the tiny minority who want to stay in Classic forever to their own special ‘Classic forever’ server.

2 Likes

That poll they put out was very much them “saying something.” TBC is worth discussing.

As mentioned, they put out a poll with 4 options on it:
https://www.pcgamer.com/blizzard-polls-world-of-warcraft-classic-players-on-possible-the-burning-crusade-classic/

There were 175 days between the release of patch 1.6 (BWL) and 1.9 (AQ).

There were 167 days between the release of Phase 3 and Phase 5. Meaning AQ released a week early relative to the vanilla timeline.

There were 168 days between patch 1.9 and patch 1.11.

168 days from the release of Phase 5 is January 12th, 2021.

I would be inclined to guess that P6 will come out BEFORE that date. Not after.

To add to this: BWL (patch 1.6) launched 231 days after WoW originally released. In Classic, that time was compressed to 170 days. This is a somewhat weaker argument due to the compression of phase 2, of course.

why would u stay on the lesser version?

Yeah. That’s a poll they sent out. Has there been any additional commentary regarding how they plan on implementing it since? No? Nothing to see here.

Official poll = something to discuss. If you don’t want to talk about it, keep scrolling, nobody is forcing you to post in TBCC threads.

Given how popular some of the vanilla pservers were that helped make the case for Classic in the first place, I expect there to be at least some market for continuing Classic in perpetuity. But they won’t need nearly as many servers to stay Classic as they have now.

1 Like

Official poll says absolutely nothing about decisions regarding how they plan on actually implementing TBC. So having the OP complain about rumors as if they are anything more than something some scraps think isn’t TBC discussion. It is premature whining.

I don’t see “what if” as “whining.” Again, nobody is making you participate.

Blizzcon set for early 2021. No hard date yet but check this space.

1 Like

I can participate as I choose. You don’t see it as whining. I do. This wasn’t an opinion post. This was very clearly an “I don’t want to be forced to do this” post. Those are two very different approaches. One is registering a preference. The other is registering a preference via whining about the other options.

Okay, scream into the wind if you want then.

Getting back on topic - if they do the character copy option, they’ll likely need a way to keep people from duping by snapshotting theiri evergreen characters and then kiting gold and mats around. This is probably why “move” will end up being more feasible than “copy” from Blizzard’s perspective. But that has disadvantages too, because people could end up with buyer’s remorse after moving to a Classic-only server. Maybe they’ll always have the option to xfer to TBC, but not the reverse.

1 Like

I mean, you are the one who took exception to my very innocuous and accurate original post. They haven’t released additional information. They haven’t said how they plan on implementing anything.
So yeah, you can speculate on how they might go about it. And to be perfectly honest, I like responses like the one you just gave because it is presenting your opinion in an orderly and logical fashion…you know…completely unlike that whine the OP threw out there.
And along those lines, I will give my opinion as well. I believe (like probably just about everyone) that they will do the realm convert to TBC approach. It is likely the easiest to implement and given how they have gone about just about everything in Classic, I think they are going to go with the approach that soaks the most cash. Supporting a small ecosystem of Classic realms is probably not in the cards. My own speculation is that they will probably release another round of Classic realms right about the time they release WotLK Classic.

This is the solution that I too came up with to prevent manipulation of tradable items/currency while still allowing players to copy their characters, not transfer. Very reassuring that another person had the same idea independently.

BC was awesome no if ands or buts! TBC was probably my favorite expansion albeit Wrath!

BC gave classes needed abilities, and empowered some hybrids that were lacking in either healing or dps, tanking roles.

Warlocks get Felguards, Rogues get Shadowstep, Mages get the stupid Water Ele… Awesome stuff, you’d be a fool to not play TBC it was great!

Hey stop blaming every problem on retail. No matter which game you play. You just whine either way. You don’t see pro whine. Only reject and noob whine.

I think you’ll be surprised how many are hoping that Classic stays Classic.

I mean — it was the huge Vanilla servers that caused this thing to be made in the first place, not huge BC servers.

You’ll still be able to play Classic, but all the servers will be ghost towns.

It burned when I crusaded once. I saw a doctor and got rid of it.

Blizzard has not told us yet. All we have is a copy of the poll they did. However, I think there are enough players who have no interest in ever going forward to TBC that whatever option we get will involve separate WOW Classic and TBC Classic realms. Now that Blizzard has the logic in place that lets Retail and Classic both run, another group of servers should be easy.

1 Like