What if Sylvanas is the Hero of the Shadowlands?

What if Blizzard writes her as a misunderstood Legion-Illidan-esque character? We are beginning to realize the Shadowlands’ various afterlives all kinda suck, each with its own catch. Like Bastion brainwashing people and sending those who refuse to submit to the Maw.

What if Blizzard wrote that Sylvanas’ goal in befriending the Jailor, igniting the faction war, and allowing us into the Shadowlands was to break the current World Order of the Shadowlands and assume control - something she’d justify by 1) first and foremost wanting to be immortal 2) thinking she’d be doing everyone a favor.

How would you react if Blizzard gave a character moral license to commit genocide because the eternal afterlife of the murdered might get better?

8 Likes

The story forum and a certain few players would implode and cause a black hole that would suck the entire known universe into it destroying all life as we know it.

Don’t tempt Blizzard. She gotta die.

35 Likes

Turnin’ Sylvanas into a Kerrigan 2.0 redemption story would be the funniest thing ever to me. I would need a mountain’s worth of popcorn for the amount of salt that would flow on these forums.

Seriously, though, a redemption for Sylvanas would just continue to show that “Rule of cool” supersedes any thought of a cohesive story for Blizzard. I lost faith in the story last year and Shadowlands is the “make it or break it” expansion for me. I haven’t even bought the upgrade yet 'cuz I’m still a “wait and see” right now.

We’ll just have to see come this fall.

16 Likes

I honestly don’t know whether they’re going this way or not. But I don’t see any way they can really make it work.

3 Likes

Even though it’s pretty obvious that both Nathanos and Sylvanas are going to be redeemed, I won’t be able to handle a story where Sylvanas is the hero, genocide against innocents is heroic and Tyrande is killed off for seeking justice.

There isn’t really a “What if”

At this point I’m just sticking around for a little longer to see if there’s going to be anything else than those things I mentioned, probably not. Maybe they’ll let Shandris die too or something like that

6 Likes

I am fine with it.

If I were in charge of Blizzard, I would make Sylvanas a Horde aligned hero. Maybe redeem her for the Forsaken and Horde but keep her as an Alliance fugitive.

Yet… as a Horde Player, I was made to work for Jaina and Genn and Anduin. So, maybe the Alliance could use a taste of that medicine.

32 Likes

You mean like working for Saurfang in BfA or working for the Horde in MoP to reclaim Orgrimmar?

18 Likes

We all take turns following each other’s heroes it seems, Thrall, Vol’Jin, Khadgar, Tyrande/Malfurion, and most recently Saurfang.

It just feels weird following the opposite factions hero’s for so long then turning around and it being all out faction war, then peace, then war and so on.

1 Like

For me, the burning of teldrassil kinda makes her being the hero impossible.

It would be the same as redeeming Arthas.

24 Likes

That sort of resembles Sargeras’s motivation - after all, in his head he’s doing everything for a greater good.

That doesn’t make him a hero.

Similarly, it’s pretty hard to make Sylvanas anything but a villain with what happened in BfA. Unless she is somehow able to magically undo all the murdering…she’s gone WAY too far for “misunderstood hero.”

18 Likes

Yea but this time it’s the Night Elves that got nearly wiped out, so it’s a heroic thing according to the writers that are all on Sylvanas’ and Nathanos’ side.

4 Likes

Please, stop with this victim complex, the burning of teldrassil is never going to be considered heroic, by anyone, no one even ever came close to saying that.

26 Likes

The writers did? :woman_shrugging:

And considering that Teldrassil was blamed on Sylvanas, her being a hero also paints the Burning of Teldrassil as a good thing / heroic thing.

3 Likes

Where did they say burning the tree was heroic?

17 Likes

If they never painted Illidan’s attrocities as a good thing, that were far less evils than whatever sylvanas has done in BFA, while they gave the “redemption arc” for Illidan.

They’re never going to portray Sylvanas burning of Teldrassil as a good thing.

3 Likes

Then we riot on Blizzard’s lawn.

You say that like it’s the Allies players fault that Horde players had to work with Alliance leaders…

3 Likes

They implemented some Horde race descriptions on alpha that painted the Horde as noble heroes and the forsaken as protectors of the living right after Teldrassil, also they keep using the Burning of Teldrassil to make people cheer up and get excited.

I mean it is going to be painted as a good thing when they reveal that all of Sylvanas’ actions were heroic and achieved us some greater good. And we all know that it’s going to be this way.

5 Likes

So they never said it. You just head cannoned it like most of what you say. Got it.

13 Likes

I literally just said that they implemented it into the game…

I wonder how people like you are going to react once everything I said was correct because I can actually point out the obvious.

1 Like