What happened to the Guardians of Hyjal?

Yes. I do.

Because the Cenarion Circle isn’t a gaggle of total strangers anymore. It hasn’t been for a long time.

The relationship between night elves and tauren in the Circle isn’t one of employee and employer. It is student and teacher. Friend and friend. These druids have known each other for more than a decade. The trust they have for one another is the product of mutual respect and admiration. They know the kind of person their friends are.

Even when the two sides are at war the druids don’t start seeing each other as enemies. They know better. They understand their close friends have loved ones in the Horde/Alliance that they are willing to fight to protect and they know how heated wars between the two global powers can be.

It is a complicated relationship, but there are no people on Azeroth as capable of empathy and understanding as druids. That is, after all, the very source of a druid’s power. To understand and work with forces that might seem alien to a normal member of their race.

3 Likes

But first, Anren is a Kaldorei, so he has permission to be there… Second, Hyjal was under duress, so Tholo could have just recently arrived. I am inclined to believe the Guardians of Hyjal are an as-needed organization, and Hyjal is otherwise under complete Kaldorei control.

I am inclined to believe the Guardians of Hyjal have been there since the end of Warcraft III, and mostly consist of the Night Elves and the Tauren that were so impressed by Malfurion in the battle against Archimonde that they had stayed to learn from him.

That is assuming they had the choice. I do not believe they would have been.

1 Like

I believe the Night Elves were happy to welcome them.

I think it is uncharacteristic for a notoriously isolationist and xenophobic culture to happily welcome outsiders to their most sacred of places. But hey… Whatever man.

And yet according to the RPG you brought up Nighthaven is the Night Elf capital, and it has plenty of Tauren.

The Night Elves have not been xenophobic for a long time, as they had invited in Draenei, Gilneas, Pandaren, Gnomes, Dwarves, and even Void Elves to Darnassus.

The thing is, that doesn’t even make sense to me, but I feel like it was a decision made for the sake of game balance. I think that point is driven home with the existence of the Cenarian Circle. Tauren are not allowed in Night Elf Territory, but Moon Glade technically belongs to a neutral faction.

Blizzard sacrificed world building for game balance, which is why I am comfortably just ignoring non-Kaldorei in Moonglade.

Xenophobia just doesn’t go away.

Quite the opposite. Chronicle added that the majority of Night Elves before the War of the Ancients lived with Cenarius rather than with Azshara, and those that had followed Cenarius’ ways were not xenophobic.

I would rather not base my views on the RPG books.

1 Like

I’m basing my views on the present game. Nighthaven presumably stopped being the Night Elf capital when Darnassus was built and it’s non-Druid population relocated there.

I don’t think Nighthaven was ever the Night Elf capital outside the RPG books, was it?

It was in the RTS. Then again both Moonglade and the Felwood were part of Ashenvale as well.

Nighthaven does not seem to have been the Night Elf capital in Warcraft III, no.

Nighthaven was a place it’s the only night elf town that I remember from the RTS… they weren’t using terms such as capital cities since it was an Command and Conquer build your base and units RTS, not the MMORG of today.

But the Nighthaven of the RTS was a general occupancy night elf area, not a multi-racial druid only enclave.

Apparently in the RTS Nighthaven wasn’t even a town, but a diseases swamp.

Both Moonglade and Nighthaven are only present as references in the custom maps, that means nothing as for the state of them.

2 Likes

I mean, no I don’t think Chronicle brings up Xenophobia at all. Which it’s typical of you to quote some lore resource with implications that it says something it doesn’t. I mean, I only draw some insight from the RPG in regards to Everlook and Hyjal only because I think it makes the most sense, and answers questions that otherwise have no answer yet. Night Elf Xenophobia isn’t something I took from the RPG, but simply an observation to their actions.

I mean, the period of The Long Vigil was thousands of years of isolationist and xenophobic foreign policy for the Night Elves. It’s pretty dishonest to say that is not the case, and frankly, I am glad for that part of their culture. It makes them more interesting.

World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume I, Pages 94 and 95:

The trees, flowers, and woodland creatures silently watched the night elves flourished, whispering news of them to the Wild Gods of Hyjal. Among them, the demigod Cenarius took a keen interest in these newcomers at the Well of Eternity's shores. Cenarius adored the night elves and believed they had the potential to become great caretakers of nature. He befriended the fledgling race and taught them about the natural world. It was Cenarius's hope that the night elves would strive to live in harmony with the wilds.

For many centuries, the night elves did. They built a graceful society around the Well of Eternity. The capital of their small nation was Elun’dris, or “the Eye of Elune,” and it was founded on the shores of the fount of power. The night elves also honed their ties with the surrounding woodlands and their myriad inhabitants. Cenarius guided the night elves when necessary, pleased by the wisdom and benevolence that thrummed in their hearts.

But in time, many of the night elves yearned for a different life. These individuals became obsessed with unlocking the Well of Eternity’s secrets. They rigorously studied the fount’s arcane energies, becoming learned sorcerers. They harnessed the powers of the arcane lake and constructed wondrous temples and roadways around it. Magic became an inseparable part of life as the night elves reveled in the power at their fingertips. Pushing the boundaries of their intellect became the driving force of their culture.

It was during this era of unprecedented growth that the night elves’ most prolific leader came to power. Her name was Queen Azshara. Through her unbridled ambition, she would elevate her people to extraordinary new heights… and sow the seeds of their destruction.

As time passed, the night elves began eschewing diplomacy and largely ignored Azeroth’s other cultures. Azshara’s dogmatic beliefs regarding racial purity seeped in the night elves’ psyche, creating an atmosphere rife with xenophobia.

It was Azshara’s and the Highborne’s mentality that made them xenophobic, not something that was an inherent part of night elf nature. And in fact, the Highborne culture was not even the majority of the night elves’ way of life, as page 95 also notes:

There was, however, one location Azshara and her forces avoided: Mount Hyjal. The spirits and demigods who roamed the sylvan forests unsettled the queen. She knew in her bones that Hyjal was somehow beyond even her influence. It was a place steeped in ancient magic, a wild, untamable, and unchangeable land that stood in stark contrast to her vision of a new Kalimdor. Publically, Azshara prohibited expansion into Hyjal out of respect of the night elves' ancient kinship with the forests. In truth, she despised the mountain and the harmony it represented.

Azshara’s views on Hyjal were well known to Cenarius. With growing unease, he had watched the night elf empire expand. Year by year, he became increasingly frustrated with the hubris and thoughtless actions of the sorcerous Highborne. The majority of night elf society continued honoring the old ways of revering the wilds. The fact that these folk still lived in harmony wit the land warmed Cenarius’s heart, but he knew that they had no influence over Azshara and her arrogant followers.

And we have seen the Night Elves making changes to their culture to go back to their more diplomatic ways before Azshara and the Highborne’s influence. Malfurion at least held positive connections with the Horde after their partnership in the Grand Alliance for protecting Mount Hyjal. The Night Elves helped bring the Draenei and Worgen into the Alliance, and lifted the ban on magic once they saw it was already proliferated throughout the world regardless. And even High Elves, Pandaren, and Void Elves could be counted under Darnassus’ banner.

Night Elves are not inherently xenophobic by nature. Azshara’s and the Highborne’s mentality that made them xenophobic, and Azshara and the Highborne supremacists are out of the picture now.

3 Likes

Makes sense, considering how the Nightborne act much the same way.

Calling enemies ‘‘Lowborn scum’’ and such.

2 Likes

I never said it was… But it became ingrained into the culture and the isolationism if the Long Vigil double downed on it.

Once again, you cite irrelevant things that do not support your point at all. You try to bog things down in rhetoric, twist and manipulate the conversation in your favor, when in reality, it’s just consistent deviation from the core point of discussion. This is a gaslighting tactics and pretty lame, man.

I mean, we see that across the board with all races. It’s Blizzard just not knowing their pre-established lore and ruining their world building.