What happened to the dev teams that were so strongly against RDF?

I promise that in no way was that callout to you. What you quoted has become a general forum sentiment. Had that not been the case I probably wouldn’t have bothered to reply to Tippytaps in the first place.

Thank you so much. Both of these things actually mean A LOT to me.

Correct. The entire time I read your post kept thinking that I wish you and your few friends could have been in my guild. I would have found you a spot. I know you like to try hard. You would have fit right in.

I also am sorry to hear about your struggles with getting groups due to your class even though you are a good player, and the reporting from something as small as the ratJAM. All of that sucks.

This is exactly the stuff I want to read. Your being willing to share it all with me is awesome and thank you.

To explain myself a bit without going into it a lot. Every day I have to be there for a family member with some serious health issues. So much of my life is about that so when I have a place to escape (this game) that is huge to me.

I think the main problem I’ve had is that a lot of my friends who I really connected with have quit, the server that I really loved to play on is gone, and now it’s hard to even find like-minded people in the forums. So that’s three strikes. Every type of Wrath community for me has vanished (outside of a few still in the guild) when I really just liked that escape. That is the core of my complaints.

I very much wish Blizzard had not used community in their statement about RDF. I know RDF helps people who play “unwanted” classes and specs. I am very happy for people that it is now coming in. However my take on this all is my take just as yours is for you.

2 Likes

thank god he left, now the game can heal

2 Likes

I know, I really did try to make my first line feel playful. I’m usually very serious and cold in my statements but that was the last thing I wanted presented.

I feel the sincerity in your posts. Earlier in the week I outright said to another poster that the forums is a source of entertainment to me. I see bad takes, L ideas, drool based degen comments. You present topics that I am diametrically opposed to, but you never present it in such a bad and laughable light, and I can’t help but to take everything you say with the truest form of sincerity. We are complete strangers, but if you said you cared about me, I wouldn’t doubt it for a second. And yes, I want to ego boost you. You deserve and are worth it.

I know you like to sweat a bit as well. I just want to say, I averaged like 98.7% to like 99.4% uptime for IEA and SnD every fight.

The rogues that say it was hard are, in reality, really bad at playing rogue. Those rogues were the FOMO glaive rerolls who were afraid of the french hunter rotation.

ratJAM is what it is. I won’t say I wasn’t spamming, hard not to when I have elderly gentlemen whispering me slurs because they are ignorant of the fact that it is just a rat jamming and they lack the addon to see it. RATPACK still lives in me and I swear to god if I get online and go into a TOGC I am going to hit my macro again. No one is going to stop me. I just find it shameful that my appeal quite literally is just blank. “We want our games to be fun for everyone, but some players reported that the chat below disrupted their experience” and the box is BLANK. I am still salty at blizzard for not even giving me the actual thing I said that got me the zucc. Oh well, multi dollar company and what not. Sorry for the side tangent, I just really do not like Blizz at this point.

You’re the only person here, truthfully. Like I said earlier, I know you take it in the most sincere way.

I fully understand. I do not mean to overshadow you, or one up, I just want to say this as proof that I do relate. I take care of my grandmother. She’s a double cancer survivor but the second time took her leg. It’s hard, and an escape is very much needed.

I’m sorry that your server died. I remember you talking about it a while ago. Earthfury, right? I personally am a mega server enjoyer, but it’s because I used to live in a small town, and the similarities between that and a small server are too uncanny. Unlike real life though, a small town can thrive, but a small server suffers and those on the outskirts leave, which pressures those who remain to the point of needing to move to a bigger server, which just feeds into the problem even more until there is no server left.

Still, I am sorry for it. Even though it’s not my thing, I understand why people like small servers, and coupling that as an escape only means that if the server dies, your escape dies. I wish, truly, that classic and it’s various eras could be like the original in terms of population. Those who join outweigh those who leave. I remember seeing the original LK server list. A good handful of full servers, and ocean of medium, and a handful of low. Something for everyone. What we have and what we wanted aren’t perfectly aligned and it is a shame.

Have you been able to find any other outlets? I know you like small tight knit communities, which BG3 does not have, but, if you like story driven narratives with fun and thought out cast and crew to accompany you, I do highly recommend it. I’m personally past 300 hours total from EA and release, and I still can’t get enough. It gives me the same high I had when I was a kid exploring Darkshore for the first time.

On the tight knit community side, Deep Rock Galactic has one of the best communities I’ve ever interacted it. Ghost Ship Games did that by design as it is, at it’s core, a 4 player team based game. It is a FPS with horror elements though for gameplay, and if that isn’t your thing, I fully understand. That said, as far as community is concerned, I would rank their community at the absolute peak. The game’s main hub allows for the players to interact with each other prior to a mission, drink, dance, salute and cheer. The “salute” keybind is there very much by design and purpose. If you don’t Rock and Stone, you ain’t comin’ home.

I do too. The social pillars were very poorly implemented. I will give Brian the credit he deserves for standing by his team, that is a leader right there, I will forever disagree with his WC interaction as a core basis to argue against RDF, which is rooted in the concept of community. Then backed by the pillars it was just this double down, slap in the face. Players like me went through 3 years of wanting this feature implemented. It was first the integrity of the game, no changes and what not. Fair. Classic is not my game, I am a TBC baby and LK main. I’ll wait for my turn, and wait I and many others did. Then no to no changes happened, and the feature we waited for got axed instantly with no further elaboration other than “the community”. Not even a “It’ll come with ICC”, just a straight no and nothing more.

Like, I don’t even want RDF for my main. I still have my friends. I wanted it for my alts, I wanted it for my friend’s alts, I wanted it for the few new players to be able to experience instanced content past 20 to pre 70. I wanted it for those who love this fantasy game but have a hard time interacting with others. I wanted it for those who play at off hours, shout out to my graveyard shift homies needing to maintain their schedule and can only play at night. I never needed RDF for my rogue, I wanted RDF because, despite my animosity to many people on the forums, I actually do care about the player base and the wellness of this game. I see and hear people parrot community but they never respond to what I just said. I guess community only extends to those they care about, despite wording it as some “whole”. I know you don’t do that, but, that’s where I feel a lot of our anger stems from when we see community as the focal point to why RDF was removed with no word, until recently, about it’s implementation.

I mentioned in my previous post that I was doing HC. That’s all the wow I play now, and not even because I want to. My girl wants to and I come along for her. The moment she logs off, I log off. I, on a personal level, am happy that RDF is being added, but it’s too late for me. I’m tired of dying for water to only have Blizz give me a couple drops to pull me from the brink, only to dangle the water bottle out of reach until they feel it’s time for a few more drops. I am still happy for everyone else, but I am still disheartened that so much BS had to have happened to get to this point, all just to sour what “community” means to many players. Two steps back for one step forward I guess.

2 Likes

Well I’d say it’s a couple Reasons Because first off one The team has a whole Didn’t want it they’ve stated several times It was always divided Some people wanted it some people didn’t.

Another reason is Something people didn’t think about back in 2019 And I don’t think blizzard did either People change and It’s entirely different to say you want something Then actually getting it The truth is the way people play games now.

Just doesn’t fit with classic design We literally broke the game In way, too many ways To name In fact honestly If they really want to recapture that 2004 Feel # no Changes What’s the worst way to try to do that.

For 1 simple reason When everything is known How possibly can you have any feeling of discovery And like it or not 60-80% Of the magic Was that feeling of discovery.

No unknown = No discovery = No magic Just that simple To put it simply rdf Fits the player base that they have now Because The classic player base what it was in 2019 and wat ir is in 2023 Completely different.

Hey Apathy,

I wanted to thank you again for replying in such detail. I’m not going to break it all down but I read it all. Some people on these forums “get me” and some do not. You definitely do.

Lots of people visit the forums for the same reasons you do. It’s understandable.

I’m going to check out the games you mentioned.

If I don’t end up talking to you again I hope that you and your girl get everything you want from life. <3

2 Likes

Yes, the original plan was to never have RDF. That’s why they spent considerable resources removing it and putting in heroic+ as an alternative driver for people to run dungeons (which just made the problem far worse for new characters).

(The part that annoys me is that PvP had cross realm play fully opened up, but PvE is still server restricted for no reason)

It wasn’t until Brian was fired that the dev team changed position on this. They did so in a way that covered their tracks with a “but it didn’t actually launch until ICC!” (Which is BS, because heroic+ never launched in wrath, nor did this group finder)

So RDF wasn’t going to happen, they put a ton of effort into trying to make it not happen, and now they are just trying to save face by claiming they were just following the natural patch progression.

5 Likes

They even went out of their way to make arenas cross realm, even if they utterly sucked at it and didn’t make a bloody interface to do it with.

Which is utterly mindboggling considering their reasoning for removing RDF. “We want you to have meaningful ingame social experiences” followed by “Yeah sorry, you gotta discord or something to find arena partners cause we suck at fixing this crap too”.

I wouldn’t trust Blizzard to plan or pack a toddlers lunch.

3 Likes

The funny thing is that they could easily also do this for raiding, and fix the mega / dead server problem instantly (despite it still requiring discord), they have just opted not to.

The servers are already set up for it… This could be turned on in a hotfix.

2 Likes

Indeed they could have just given us the much more functional retail LFG Tool which is cross realm.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.