What happened to Strand of the Ancients BG?

It disappeared while I was gone I guess, but i thought this bg was fun back in the day (or maybe i’m miss remembering).

1 Like

It was removed going into BfA I believe. The vehicle scaling issues currently ongoing with WG were more relevant there, and Blizz seemingly got tired of dealing with it.

I got my Master of SotA just before it ended though so I’ll hold it in my heart.

yeah I just started reading on it, and it was the most blacklisted I guess, so they just removed it. of course they mentioned that there was hope to fix it, but you know that doesn’t look possible anymore I guess.

Honestly I blacklisted Deepwing Gorge (pre-change) more along with Gilneas. I can see that being the case though because of the vehicles, though. They were either worthless or OP with no inbetweens.

the same reason they removed the blacklist ability is the same reason netflix removed rating from viewers, make things look bad even though its accurate.

these companies are so disingenuous and scheming its sickening.

2 Likes

so basically just like classes in wow? j/k.

Oh well that stinks.

The first rule of this forum is — You do not talk about SOTA.

The second rule of this forum is — You do not talk about SOTA.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I honestly feel like this was the main issue… Blizzards lack of PvP dev team so they couldn’t scale it properly often enough.

I do miss that bg though! It was a fun change up from the usual BG’s. I hope they bring it back as a brawl.

3 Likes

You mean like where amazon recruited a ton of people to act like employees on twitter to speak good of Amazon employment?

Just for reference:

h ttps://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56581266

1 Like

thats blizzards fault though, not the bg itself. it was fun in wrath, the overall reception was good for the bg. it wasnt until they started changing things that it became horrible.

its like letting a 3rd grader loose on a Picasso painting with a sharpie… less talented people trying to put their ‘spin’ on things and their ideas are trash to begin with.

1 Like

Watching teammates jump off the ship way too early…

:man_facepalming:

LOL remembering that though. Hahaha…

:laughing:

4 Likes

faking the ‘they put a wall on here?’ strafing just to watch a 40 iq warrior yeet into the middle of the ocean. good times man.

4 Likes

Meh it was a stupidity test… I liked it lol… My main issue with the BG was newbies could unintentionally make the game hard by capping flags (which is normally what you want to do).

Still it was just so different. Different classes had different tool kits for fighting demos or bomb runs. Just felt so diverse.

1 Like

Eh, it was more like picking on the newbies…

Plus, now you put your team at a further disadvantage.

i distinctly remember using my glad geared sham to ride shotty on the catas and just absolutely nuke people from the top. it was some of the most fun in a bg that i can even remember having.

fast forward to sl – i dont even recognize the game as wow anymore.

sad really.

Naw… I fell off the boat once or twice :rofl: straight up stupidity test. Newbies were probably more careful than others lol

Eh that’s also what I liked about that bg. It felt like if you really focused on what your class was good at you could really carry. I had an excellent win percentage on that bg. Honestly it was one of my favorites behind wsg and av before the afkers.

2 Likes

New abilities and classes also made it function weird; Demon Hunters jumping past the gates and bombing gates/the final door before the fights were there made it very clunky.

I’m still surprised they chose to remove it outright rather than making it a brawl, there were certainly fun moments (last stands in the final courtyard, riding shotgun to starsurge people in the face, boat noobs etc). This is why I dislike when people suggest to remove things - one person’s trash is another’s treasure.

1 Like

Yeah. I think rogues were bombing the final door while the first gates were still up.

Queuing up the epic last stand music during those courtyard battles gave me life. Just seeing in Yell and Battleground chat “HERE THEY COME” and seeing everyone doing what they could to keep them at the gates was just a feeling I haven’t felt since Tenacity in WG back in Wrath.

I do miss SotA. I loved getting defense first because it was one of the few times I could almost guarantee that my BG would be longer than my queue time. :rofl:

1 Like