What gives Pelagos the authority

To not send souls to the Maw anymore? He’s just the Arbiter, one of many pieces created by the First Ones to facilitate the proper workings of the cosmos. They created the Maw and intended for mortal souls to end up there.

In a reasonable narrative, this kind of hubris/naivety/weakness/etc. on Pelagos’ part would lead to even more long term problems down the line, possibly as drastic as Argus breaking the previous Arbiter in the first place.

Then again, this is Blizzard and they might not be thinking that far ahead. :thinking:

12 Likes

well without a jailor where would the people who can not be redeemed go

There wasn’t a Jailer before Zovaal got ganged up on and Dominated by The Primus.

8 Likes

Not thinking at all. Pelagos becoming the Arbiter is one of the most shoehorned, forced, last minute narratives I’ve ever seen occur.

53 Likes

You could wager they built it as a ‘Last resort’ for the truly wicked & evil souls who want nothing but to inflict misery & suffering upon everyone and everything, taking delight in every moment of it - without any redeeming qualities.

Pelagos believes just about most deserve a second chance - so I’d wager a handful of cruel beings will be sent to Revendreth, they’re gonna have their hands full. :joy:

1 Like

He has the authority by the virtue of being the arbiter. It’s his choice to make and he’s decided every soul will get a chance at redemption no matter what they may have done, because mortal lives are painfully short compared to the eternity that follows.

4 Likes

No, his authority as Arbiter is to ensure souls go to their proper end point, not to decide to break parts of the cycle for his feels.

3 Likes

Pelagos can’t even decide his own fate or fight his own doubt, giving him the role of deciding someone else’s fate is just stupid.

He has no merit, he just happens to be there and he’s special. Pokopoc would’ve been the better Arbiter than Pelagos.

45 Likes

Why did he maintain his personality and memories as well? He should have lost all individuality and became robotic like the previous one. The whole storyline is so bad lmao

14 Likes

He’s also made of butter.

32 Likes

I think that’s because the second Arbiter was just, you know, a stop gap that wasn’t made in Zereth Mortis.

Zovaal and Pelagos both were.

2 Likes

Who? None of my characters had Kyrian as a covenant…

5 Likes

The meta-narrative is “Anyone can be redeemed, even us, Blizzard Entertainment. Do not condemn us because we steal breast milk. Do not condemn us because of our culture of sexual harassment. Do not condemn us because of the sexual assaults. To condemn us is worse than the crimes we commit”. <— That’s the nonsense Blizzard is trying to sell.

Denying a wrong-doer redemption is worse than committing wrongs according to Blizzard. Hmm, I wonder what would make them push this nonsense?

:thinking:

18 Likes

He said all souls deserve a chance at redemption but that doesn’t mean all of them will achieve it; it just means all of them will be given the opportunity. There will still be those that fail out of Revendreth and get their all-expenses paid trip to the Maw.

6 Likes

No, I’m pretty sure he’s flat preventing any soul, ever, from ever going to the Maw again, ever. Even the ones Revendreth would normally punt.

2 Likes

I’ve maintained all along that Pelagos is the ONE being that never had the right to be the Arbiter.

The Arbiter has to be impartial and know that not all souls can be redeemed. Some people are so evil and depraved, the Maw is all that’s good for them.

Pelagos doesn’t believe this, and therefore he should not be Arbiter. Simple.

6 Likes

What makes you so sure? I don’t remember him every saying anything along those lines.

1 Like

Sounds like an x rated film :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

" Arbiter Pelagos says: Never again will a mortal soul be sent to its depths. All deserve a chance at redemption."

" Arbiter Pelagos says: As Arbiter, I will take that lesson to heart. Every soul will be treated with compassion, and will be given a voice in which afterlife awaits them."

1 Like

I dont think OP saw Lucifer with Tom Ellis. Pelagos decision reminds me of what Lucifer did at the end. Instead of just sending people to hell to suffer forever, he decided instead to redeem those souls that want redemption, however long it takes.