What exactly are void elves doing?

Seems like a simple question. What are void elves doing in the rift? How exactly do they ‘study’ the void? Do they stand around looking serious? Does the rift only exit to stormwind or maybe it can link multiple places? I presume thats all these ‘riftwalkers’ are doing, just going to the rift and magically a portal elsewhere from inside. But this is all filling in gaps with headcannon. What are they doing?

8 Likes

Voidy things.

12 Likes

As far as we know they are just training/converting new high/blood elves and perhaps (?) building up the Telogrus? as it is in game now it is barely a functional camp.

There is no lore for it, but I sorta like to imagine when the void elves open a Void Rift they are briefly in stepping through Telogrus rather than into the raw void itself.

2 Likes

Some joined the Dragonscale Expedition, but asides from them, not much.

4 Likes

Void Elves were dropped like a hot potato pretty quickly like most of the Allied races. Although, I am seeing much more of the Allied races in Dragonflight which is nice.

I hope in the future if we get a void themed expansion they’ll show them some love. Perhaps standing around the rift with their cool hair has resulted in something that may come in handy when the time comes.

11 Likes

Stuff with tentacles…lots of tentacles… wanna add some?

2 Likes

There’s Dar’khan’ Drathir’s mysterious void cube that will someday be unlocked. With the blood elf stuff eradicating the last remnants of Dar’khan’s power in Ghostlands and the ties to the Scourge having a new Void master, there’s some set up for void elf things in the later part of Dragonflight.

Not sure how anyone studies any magic in this universe.

1 Like

Wrathion kinda just replaces them though he does have Void elf agents.

3 Likes

Wrathion keeps em around for the tentacles…

2 Likes

This isn’t aimed at you for suggesting it, but I have to say that this idea that there are High Elves and Blood Elves lining up to be infused with a potentially corruptive force like the void is ridiculous.

The same High Elves that were famous for their disdain of mana siphoning and practiced abstinence from magical sustenance, suddenly ok with welcoming a precarious force like the void…?

8 Likes

And yet they are indeed there:

5 Likes

They also can’t be infused with the void. There is no way to make new Ren’dorei.

The Ren’dorei were made after Alleria Windrunner and an Alliance adventurer interrupted a ritual by Nexus-Prince Durzaan who had tried to turn Umbric’s followers into pure void creatures. That is not repeatable, nor would anyone in-universe have any reason to. The High Elven wayfarers and Silvermoon Scholars would just end up simply wielding the void, they wouldn’t become Ren’dorei themselves.

4 Likes

I have a theory. Could the Void Elves be trying to study and replicate their transformation? Figure out how it happens so they can either reverse it or know how others can be transformed.

1 Like

The inconsistency of it all.

To start, there were only a small handful of Blood Elf exiles that would become Void Elves, and yet, on numerous occasions, we see Void Elf combatants present in numbers that don’t reflect that.

14 Likes

Yet oddly enough there are now Dark Ranger Void Elves, which likely weren’t among Umbric’s original group of exiles. And obviously the High and Blood Elf skin options now for Void Elves that do not exhibit the Void Elf skin color transformation, which is reflective of the Scholars and Wayfarers.

3 Likes

I think cannonicaly they are not void elf “dark rangers” but instead void elves who were raised by sylvanas and are now darkfallen. They were active throughout BFA so it standa to reason a few would get raised. Not to mention they have that grey area of maybe actually being high elves since the playerbase is split on that.

2 Likes

I always assumed they’re merely visitors or curious scholars who want to learn more (highborne traits kick in) about the void, and Alleria is the only canon fair-skinned Void Elf

2 Likes

Adds more flavour to the world if we see them less often, and are only present on indoor spaces, shady pubs and ruins, or caves

1 Like

That is fair headcanon, but I don’t think there are any canonical mentions of Sylvanas raising Void Elves into Undeath.

3 Likes