What even is the point: Storming

I am completely at a lose for words when it comes to describing my frustrations with storming. I really do not want to play the game when its storming weeks. Anything that is designed in such a way that makes it so you don’t want to play is just bad design. They have removed other affixes for that very reason. Why is storming still in rotation? No pun intended.

I thought the idea of affixes were to make you rethink the way you did a dungeon. Storming,. along with a number of other affixes, does not vibe with that design philosophy in any form. It only exists to annoy you. Volcanic is kind of in the same realm but at least it doesn’t persist and it doesn’t move. Its just there for a second or 2 and then its gone.

Also in a game that is already very visually congested just adding a mass amount of tornados that move around randomly is maddening.

This could really be a topic for a different day but as a P.S I do think that affix design in general needs to be reimagined. I find that most people that want to do keys but don’t is because affixes often detract from dungeons.

This is of course from a melee dps perspective.

5 Likes

I was getting extremely frustrated in Temple of Jade Serpent with the storming. There are so many ground effects and I can’t really keep track of them all without weak auras. I tend to have a lot of my addons shut off due to that stupid ui error pop up that never seems to resolve.

The storming itself… not a problem. The storming knocking me up into another swirling aoe death snipe is definitely a problem.

3 Likes

You were knocked up?

3 Likes

That gender swapping barber can do a lot of things, I tell ya

Storming is a hotbed of misery for tanks, especially BDK and protwar but if nothing else I’ll take it over grievous.

Really if they just cut the spawn rate for them in half it’d be more tolerable. Avoiding one or two swirly bois is fine; having to deal with 5 absolutely sucks.

1 Like

BDK can completely ignore it and soak them all with death’s advance

Storming is the easiest affix in the game.

Let me qoute something that I said “This is of course from a melee dps perspective.” Ranged dps don’t get griefed by storming even remotely close like melee does. I did, however, mention Volcanic as to draw an equivalence since it generally doesn’t go in the melee stack and is primarily a rdps affix. However it is not nearly as inconvenient as Storming is for the reasons I already mentioned so I would like for them to make it on par of inconvenience as volcanic is to rdps.

If what you got from my post is “Wah its too hard” then you missed the point of this post entirely. My point wasnt difficulty. My point was that it is annoying and not fun. I have no idea why the wow community thinks that when someone says something isn’t fun the assumption is that they are saying its too hard. The 2 are not synonyms… The affix is just messy and is not in line with what the devs have said about their philosophy when it comes to affixes. This is a qoute from Ion “We like the current affixes because it changes the way you approach the dungeon. Whether that means your route, your talent build, your decision making”. Storming has nothing to do with any of that. The only thing you could make an arguement for is “decision making” but it isn’t the kind of decision making they are talking about. Also there isn’t much decision making, its move out of range constantly or get knocked out of range anyway and take damage and probably knocked into something else.

4 Likes

You can find what addon is broken using BugSack and BugGrabber, you need both addons. The majority of the time the issue normally lies with a WeakAura though. I don’t ever have the UI thing pop up anymore once I fixed the one WA that was causing it.

I find Storming pretty manageable. The damage is minimal and knockback only costs about a second or two of DPS loss. Can it be critical? yes but rarely. I see it as just a small annoyance compared to other affixes. I play a melee DPS.

Great I appreciate the tip :smile: I’ll pick those up

People complained too much about the actual hard affixes (necrotic, teeming, overflowing, skittish) so all we’re left with is the annoying ones like quaking, explosive, and storming.

I took a break from SL and affixes seem a lot easier now. Explosives die a whole lot easier, quaking is less annoying, bolstering doesn’t bolster bosses, bolstering actually expires over time, lesser mobs don’t trigger affixes anymore. i.e. CoS Imps dropping puddles, bolstering each other.
Tanking in necrotic was god awful and skittish? no group leaving without a rogue, hunter or both. I think necrotic+skittish combo was possible too.

Those are the fun ones :pleading_face:

As a tank on the cusp of keystone hero I can say with certainty that storming is worse than sanguine

1 Like

I disagree, storming is annoying for sure but it doesnt make the fights longer and cc consuming like sanguine. In a game with timer, anything causing the fights longer is terrible. In my opinion, sanguine is the worst, followed by bolstering.

Thats interesting though personally I find storming worse because I only have to worry about sanguine when the mobs are about to die. Storming on the other hand is constantly annoying you constantly moving and is just obnoxious to deal with but thats just me.

But I agree with you on bolstering that affix is awful and actively punishes chain pulling.

2 Likes

I think the screen bloat would make for a good research topic for a Master’s Thesis at this point. It is REALLY taxing the sensory system of it’s users. I don’t think it would surprise people to find that most of the High Key players are younger given the sensory overload occurring.

I have found that shutting the audio off when I play works better because it lets me focus on the visual vomit. Strange, but it has helped me. I took a 3 week break and came back to start grinding keys again. Had to switch to healing to make progress because bear tanking is totally crap (patch made it worse). Anyway, try turning off all sound. Noise canceling headphones may help too. Then just focus on the visuals.

3 Likes

We are not arguing which is worse. I only brought up volcanic to serve as a parallel for rdps since it can effect mdps but not often. This is the opposite issue for storming where it effects mdps significantly more and has far more persistence than volcanic.

When it comes to Sanguine, while annoying, it does fall in line with their design philosophy that I stated earlier. The way the tank moves has to be different. Toolkits with knockbacks and pushes and pulls such as: Bdk, Bal Druid, Ele shaman, Monk etc are far more effective that week. Toolkits that have roots, such as: Warrior, druids etc you need to think about how/when you use those abilities. Same thing goes for stuns. Storming has none of that. It is antithetical to their design philosophy and that is the major issue that I have with it.

Last season, I was just shy of the 0.1% title and I can definitely say screen bloat is an evermore increasing issue at the higher end with storming when you are mass pulling every single pull because of the timer. More mobs, more visual stimulant. Now it is quite a lot but honestly it only becomes a sensory overload thing for me when storming is involved in my opinion. On the flip side, It makes sense that at the high end that you need to be able to process more information quickly. So I am not asking for them to shrink information bloat that is always going to persist in each dungeon no matter the affix. That is one of the things that makes them apart of the high end. I am just saying that storming puts that over the top and serves no purpose other than to grief the player and it feels bad when there is an entire week that I don’t want to play my favorite game.

P.S/tl;dr I am not asking for them to make the game easier. I like the struggle and progression. Especially in high keys, it should be hard. I just hate storming as it serves to harrass the player and in no way does it align with their prestated design philosophy.

1 Like