What does everyone think of the new glowing eyes?

Here are some pictures of my characters with the current live eyes, and the new updated PTR ones. Which do you guys prefer?

I personally love the newer ones. The glow is now within the eye itself, rather than just being a glowing orb in front of the eye. The old ones may have looked okay from a front view, but from the side they looked pretty bad.

Night Elf live version:

Night Elf PTR version:

Death Knight live version:

Death Knight PTR version:

Blood Elf live version (Gold):

Blood Elf PTR version (Gold):

Blood Elf live version (Green):

Blood Elf PTR version (Green):

Forsaken live version:

Forsaken PTR version:

11 Likes

I quite like them for most races, especially for the Death Knights… but NE males are pretty weird looking since their eyes are so squinty. The eyeglow hid that since the glow was much rounder than the actual eye.

5 Likes

Nice comparison shots. I prefer the new eyes except for the death knights. Their appearance was always more highlighted and it feels more appropriate to have them glow as they do currently.

4 Likes

I do agree with this. They look squinty with the Night Warrior eyes as well, and it just looks odd to me.

I’m hoping we get an option that allows players to keep the old eyes, that way everyone is happy.

1 Like

I’ll miss the glowing eyes but I’d like the new ones more if they made the eyeball texture have some sort of glow, sorta like how some mounts have textures that glow in dark areas (if that makes any sense?).

2 Likes

Despite the general comment about allied races not getting new customizations…for now… I think the eyeball overhaul will end up changing them as well since it seems they are aiming for a total conversion even on npcs.

I checked every glowing eyes I could, and the ones I linked above were the only ones where I could notice a difference. I checked out Zandalari, Lightforged, Void Elves, and Dark Iron, and their eyes all seem to be the same. But that’s fine with me because I already liked the way their eyes looked.

The new allied race DKs do have the updated eyes on the PTR though.

Also, High Elf and Dark Ranger NPCs are completely missing their eyes. Looks like they will be getting updated eyes as well for whatever reason.

Edit: I was wrong about Dark Iron’s and Void Elves, their eyes actually have changed a little.

They look a bit weird. I’m used to having the eyes light up the surrounding face just a bit, and they look more sunken without the glow leaving the eye.

3 Likes

I like the new DK eyes, but I like the old race eyes.

I hope for the races, it’s something we can switch during character creation and/or the barber shop.

1 Like

I absolutely love them and wish they’d stay this way, but I know it’s only one step on their way to the 9.0 changes.

God I hope we get an option for no flashlight eyes.

3 Likes

The glowy eyes made all eye shapes look the same and gave the “deer in headlight look” effect.

I like the new ones.

1 Like

I do think the new eye glow effects look good. I just hope that they adjust certain helmet and hood appearances so that glowing eyes are actually visible, particularly Death Knight helms and hoods.

I also hope that they eventually add the glow effect to regular Worgen eyes that are supposed to glow as well.

3 Likes

I don’t like the gold glow changes for blood elves, it’s far too small and makes them look like they have beady eyes in the dark. I wish the glow was bigger.

2 Likes

Yeah, I really hope they adjust how the eyes look through helms. I checked out how my DK’s eyes would look in helmets while on the PTR, and only a few of them had her eyes glowing through. Most of them just made her eyes look like they weren’t even glowing at all.

I think they look great!! I’ve been on PTR and checked them out too. I love em.

2 Likes

I hope that Blizzard does not forget to include the promised glow effect to regular worgen characters that have chosen a face variant with glowing eyes. On the newest PTR, there is no lighting effect at all.

2 Likes

I like my new ones on the PTR. I was never a fan of the glowing orb in front of the eye.

2 Likes

Probably in various stages I would imagine, worgens might require extra work detaching the eyes from the face…but I’m only guessing honestly. I am curious if anyone checked out the void elves in stormwind yet, or inside the telogrus rift.

I think it should be optional, like the new skins, upright position, etc… I really like my super glowy eyes on my character, if I didn’t I would have chosen another look…

Please Blizz, make it optional!

5 Likes

For true effect you should do comparison pictures from profile