What did WoW do that made you so attracted to it?

Why is WoW to you, so addicting or possibly a game that you cant put down? What are things that you currently do in BFA that keep you busy waiting for Shadowlands?

3 Likes

Obviously the hot night elves

5 Likes

Been doing it so long now, I don’t know how to not do it.

I’m keeping busy with Beta.

/hugs

5 Likes

Achievements. Alts. Farming. Gold making. It has a lot of things that tickle my happy-chemical-maker-thing.

3 Likes

I fell in love with the marksmanship specialization for hunters way back in the day.

2 Likes

Raiding. Nothing else like it in any other MMORPG.

2 Likes

Back when World of Warcraft started, it was the only MMORPG that fully supported Macintosh. Then Blizzard kept it up to date, which some other MMORPGs didn’t do.

To be honest, I liked Lineage better; it was far more immersive. Lineage was already dated when it was ported to the Mac, though. In addition, with both Warcraft and Lineage, new content tended to reduce rather than increase immersion.

At this point Warcraft is just a game rather than an immersive world - but maybe it was never really what I made it out to be. It is, however, a sufficiently good game that I spend time playing it.

1 Like

You betcha!!

Back in the day? Honestly? WASD movement and actually having a sky you could look up at. I came from Runescape.

1 Like

nothing in particular tbh.

just no other alternative for a long lasting MMO that still feels somewhat alive.

kind of like a wife in an abusive marriage also, “well im used to it, i don’t know anything else”

*bring a decent bit of competition and i’ll be flirting with it though, you can be sure of that :wink:

2 Likes

Such awesome replies!! Thank you who responded and continue to respond! Ive seen so many people say WoW is addicting, everyone has their own reasons and I love hearing and comparing my own to yours!

I started in cata and if it weren’t for that giant af dragon on the login screen, i probably would never have played. Why do I still play now? Well, I’ve made too much progress to quit. I also like mount farming I suppose.

I’m going to answer the question in the title, which is very different from the question in the text of the OP.

I spent a lot of time leveling a lot of characters before buying the game. I started on a starter account toward the end of mop, and even though I bought a wod bundle, I didn’t make it to max level for another 6 months.

Most of the stuff I spent time doing because it was so interesting has been removed from the game.

1 Like

What keeps me attracted to it is the colors, the art and the music. Being able to immerse myself into it all and have fun. I’m no genius when it comes to lore but I really like the stories.

2 Likes

Mainly: Continued a story which I had become deeply invested in since the days of playing Warcraft II on my uncle’s 486. I honestly wasn’t even that big on Warcraft III when it came out, just because I wasn’t really gaming at all then, but as soon as I saw that in WoW you’d be dealing with a lot of the fallout of multiple generations of Warcraft’s story, I was in. Getting to Blackrock Mountain for the first time was some kind of experience.

WoW didn’t actually do anything special to attract me to it; I tried it out because of the free game time that came with my D2 battlechest way back when. I stayed because of the people I met while playing, but most of them are gone and the ones that aren’t aren’t around much anymore so I’m gone too.

SWG died, friends play it and I liked the WC RTS games.

It’s a really fun way to spend my free time.

Whether dungeoning or raiding or PvP, collecting transmogs and mounts, taming battle pets, or picking a random achievement to do, WoW has my interest. I love the lore and NPCs, the beautiful environments, musical scores, and ambience. I enjoy the friends I’ve made, and the Community at large.

:four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Nothing, really.

My prior RPG/MMORPG experience was almost solely 2006 era F2P Runescape. For those who didn’t play, just know that the graphics are garbage, the combat was a point and click adventure, and the world was tiny as hell (which is even more obvious today despite being expanded because they lessened the distance fog so you can see how close together everything really is).

So when I first touched WoW at a friend’s place, having actually decent 3D graphics, actual abilities (and classes) to use in combat, and an absolutely MASSIVE world to get lost in was enough of a hook, despite none of those things really being specific to WoW over other non-Runescape MMORPGs.

When it comes to WoW winning out over the handful of alternatives I played when I couldn’t pay my sub, it mostly came down to a combination of quality (let’s not pretend the billion F2P MMOs stand out in that department) and sheer amount of content.

WoW had already been around for some years when I jumped into it. It was near the end of TBC when I first played, and mid-WotLK when I could pay my own sub and therefore started in earnest. The amount of content to go through for my initial “playthrough” was much more than any other game I could’ve jumped into. That’s was a big problem for devs trying to take a slice of WoW’s market share as it gained popularity – even if they did everything right, it’s hard to take from something as big as WoW without doing anything total groundbreaking (which none of them did).

1 Like

Started because of WC3 and have had a blast over the years. Stayed around so long because of the friends I’ve made and enjoy playing with.

2 Likes