What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

2 Likes
3 Likes

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 3.

Four Tet - Morning / Evening (2015)

(House / Minimal Techno / Psychedelic)

Morning Side:

Evening Side:

Those two “sides” are the whole release, so there’s no favorite track this time. Though, perhaps, I like Evening just a smidge more than Morning.

Morning side certainly does have that sunrise feel, bringing vibes that are quite warm and organic - the Hindi vocals are beautiful. And there’s just enough house sprinkled in to keep things moving.

In contrast, the first half of Evening side is much closer to something like meditation - it’s definitely headphones time, eyes closed, no distractions. At least until the thumping bassline and breaks wake you up at the end.

This record was a great departure by Four Tet from his previous style, which had been much sharper, louder, and noisier than Morning / Evening. I didn’t even think this was him when I first heard it, but it very quickly became one of my favorites.

– Chad Barnes at Exclaim(dot)ca

2 Likes
1 Like

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 2.

Moon Boots - Bimini Road (2019)

(House / Deep House / Nu-Disco)

Selected favorite track, “So Precious”:

Going hand-in-hand with Daft Punk’s entry on this top ten, Moon Boots’ (Peter Dougherty’s) Bimini Road is the funkiest, catchiest, grooviest disco / house record I have heard in quite a few years. Dougherty has quite an amazing talent for creating silky-smooth vibes.

Another of my faves on this record is “Clear”. The vocals laid down by Nic Hanson are insanely good, and the production perfectly complements them:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOftnzGIKwJBB0Ejgd35yMp8kyNiUOhl2

– Magneticmag(dot)com

1 Like

My favorite tune off the Katamari soundtrack. :smiley:

I also like:

Sing these lyrics instead:

“Po-ta-to-ta-to for one.”
“Donkey Kong Donkey Kong Donkey Kong coupon.”

1 Like

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 1.

Jon Hopkins - Singularity (2018)

(Electronic / Ambient / Experimental)

Selected favorite track, “C O S M”:

I was listening to one of my absolute music idols, KCRW DJ Jason Bentley, do his year-end version of Metropolis (weekly electronic / dance music set), with his favorite tracks and mixes of the year. At one point, he said:

And that’s it. I’m drawn to Singularity’s beautiful, introspective, energetic style. Is it the excellent production? The variance of styles? The “flow” of the album? The instrumental piano tracks? I dunno. It’s just a feeling.

If I could only grab one album of the past decade, to go with me to that famed desert island, this would be it. :blush:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLZqsyBiYZFQ2VHs4PQNF1YOJUnBgj8LQc

– Pitchfork

Thanks for reading, and listening, everyone! HAPPY NEW YEAR! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

1 Like

One of my favorite instrumental pieces I’ve listened to

3 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou aeiou uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

3 Likes

First up on random today:

2 Likes

My faves:

and the OST for the cartridge version of Viewpoint on Neo Geo. That thing is packed full of funk samples, including just about every popular James Brown sample, on many tracks:

3 Likes

Yeaaaaaas! I love that game ^^

1 Like

French crossover band with manga theme
2 Likes

A mashup of Nine Inch Nails - Head Like a Hole and Carly Rae Jepsen - Call Me Maybe. It works way too well.

1 Like