What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

Listening to some awesome metal podcasts on https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xN1Aj0vkeQHZJxp3hoPVQ

1 Like
1 Like

A top 10 metal album of the decade, which is super surprising because it was released on November 1 of this year. Veil of Imagination is dramatic and over-the-top symphonic metal with a nice dollop of Opeth styling to give it a little spice. Moreover, this album was mixed by the legendary Dan Swanö, just in case you needed another reason to listen to this.

1 Like

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 8.

Kaytranada - 99.9% (2016)

(RnB / Hip-Hop / Trap / House / Breaks / More)

Selected favorite track: “Got It Good” feat. Craig David

I discovered Kaytranada through SoundCloud, just prior to the release of this album. I was instantly blown away by his work up until that point. And then, shortly after that, he dropped 99.9%. If it’s possible to have, like, a “level 2” mind-blowing event, well, this was it for me. So much goodness in this record.

You have banging 90s-style, dancefloor-filling, Daft-Punk-esque house tracks like “Lite Spots” (dope video I might add):

You have groovy, funky rnb vibes, with addictive vocals and lyrics (“Got It Good” is my fave, but “One Too Many” is great as well):

The straight-up hip-hop on this album is equally sick, but as there aren’t any clean versions around … so I won’t link em. Well worth a listen, though.

The full album is on YouTube, on Kaytranada’s channel:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lH2xUVNwi41nO_YeXVWSkTcejBwDN2MdE

– Rolling Stone, “20 Best EDM / Electronic Albums of 2016”

2 Likes

Time to get a bit more classic ^^ It’s actually the only one I like…

At least for Christmas anyway…

Demon hunter music:

3 Likes

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 7.

Beck - Hyperspace (2019)

(Synth-pop / Alternative Folk / Electronic)

Selected favorite track: “Chemical”

I’ve already raved about this album in three or four posts, so I’ll keep this one short(er). The one tune I haven’t linked so far in past posts is “Chemical” above.

Beck’s always been a funky dude, but he outdoes himself on Hyperspace. The styles are so varied on this album, yet the record as a whole - while not a “concept album” - is cohesive and flows really well.

The influence of trap/hip-hop and vaporwave is palpable in many tracks. Including the…

A E S T H E T I C

…cover art which goes along with the whole vaporwave vibe.

Such a cool album. Definite must-listen!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJcxm3H4jC3gyaSkozW94VfuW4ZElLmL4

– Pitchfork

3 Likes
1 Like

You have really good taste in music!

As much as I am anti-alliance, you I kinda like. You can stay ^^

officially changes his opinion on Alliance folk

2 Likes

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 6.

Disclosure - Settle (2013)

(House / Electronic)

Selected favorite track: “Defeated No More”

Settle is Disclosure’s debut, and they came on strong straight from the start. Collaborating with the likes of London Grammar, Sam Smith and AlunaGeorge, this record brings us some deep, solid house vibes.

I remember hearing “When a Fire Starts to Burn” on college radio out here in LA, and instantly being addicted to the groove:

Settle also enjoyed incredible commercial success, which I think is really cool for a house / electronic music record. Charting in seventeen countries, it hit the top ten in six of them, and went to number one in the UK (overall) and in the US (among dance/electronic.)

– Consequence of Sound(dot)com

2 Likes

Shout out to my Druid brothers. You may be hybrids, but you’re pure of HEART.

4 Likes

Okie dokie, time for the top five!

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 5.

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories (2013)

(Disco / Funk / Electronic)

Before I share my favorite track, I’ll get the obvious out of the way first:

While this track suffered (or profited, depending on your point of view) from being massively overplayed in the summer of 2013, it stands as a testament to the strength of this album and the global public’s appetite for dance music at the time.

The absolute best was seeing a DISCO track go 50x platinum world-wide in 2013, selling over seven million units and going to number one in, what, 45 countries? It even made it to number six in Japan. :+1:

Yep, y’all love(d) disco, and you know it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

All that being said, “Get Lucky,” as strong as it is, isn’t my favorite track on the album. That honor goes to:

“Doin’ It Right”

Which, IMO, hearkens back most closely to the style they pioneered on Discovery, while still being influenced by the currently-popular (at the time) styles of trap and bass.

Random Access Memories is an amazing, beautiful album. Sure, it’s a departure from their 90s roots, but, again, it’s the whole “maturing” thing that an artist does sometimes. RAM is a more of a tribute to the roots and origins of the sound and style these guys have been creating for more than 25 years.

Daft Punk’s “signature” sound is that of French House, which grew out of - and is very closely related to - Disco. On RAM they pay tribute to that original style, even “collaborating” (via recorded interview) with Giorgio Moroder, the “godfather of electronic dance music”:

– Heather Phares at Allmusic(dot)com

2 Likes

kimetsu no yaiba GOOD

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Okay, so I’ve got my list of the ten best metal albums of the decade, but I think I’m gonna put it in its own thread. I’ve had a lot of fun listening to them and I hope y’all do too!

1 Like

Tanking music:

My top ten Electronic / Dance Albums of the 2010s. Number 4.

LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening (2010)

(Dance-punk / Electronic / Indie / Art Rock / Alternative Dance / Post Punk)

Selected favorite track: “One Touch”

I really do love this record. When I first heard it, I was blown away by the fusion of styles. Kraftwerk-inspired synths, sequencing and noise, backed by live instruments and killer vocals. Actually if Kraftwerk and a band like, I dunno, New Order collaborated on an album, with an acid-house feel, it might come out something like This is Happening.

The quirky, almost 80s new-wave vibes of some of the tracks are addicting to me. If this tune came out in 1986, no one would have thought it out of place:

Before I bring this one to a close, I wanted to include at least one of the tracks off the album that showcases (for the most part) vocals and live instruments over anything electronic. Of those, this is probably my favorite:

– Rolling Stone

2 Likes