What Are Warcraft Dragons To You?

A CC member made an excellent post about twenty days or more ago regarding warcraft dragons.

It’s a pretty dang long post but it goes on analyzing how dragons in warcraft lore seem more like pretty elves that can shapeshift than actual dragons with their presentation in lore. And with the reveal of the Dracthyr and how quite a few people aren’t fans of them if they cannot fight in their human form we can assume that the majority of people feel that warcraft dragons appeal doesn’t come from being scaley masters of magic and fighting but rather being humanoid pretty shapeshifters.

So I wanted to genuinely reiterate the post the CC member made in the council forums here. What is appealing about warcraft dragons to you?

2 Likes

Dragons are very important to me in wow…even this toons guild is named after them.

A common meme in wow has been “cool story bro…needs more dragons.” Usually said when someone is talking about their larger then life, days of our lives drama.

The point is that dragons are cool and exciting…I do actually love dragons, I think they are awesome, they were powerful majestic beings…fantasy would feel very empty without dragons around.

I was actually quite shocked back in Legion how it felt like dragons were on the brink of extinction…I thought they would eventually die out completely.

Obviously not.

Actually find the new race’s dragon form to be a bit off-putting. It’s fine if I use an ability that requires the use of wings or tail or their breath Weapon. But I should be allowed to quickly change back and continue to fight in my more humanoid form.
On that note their draconic transformation could be something similar to the demon hunter’s demonic form. I believe I would be OK with that.

To be perfectly honest I was hoping to have some kind of quest that would unlock draconic features that you can apply to any race.

2 Likes

Whats your fav dragon in film?

Probably the one from the Merlin TV series.

Wasn’t so one dimensional like Smaug from Lord of the Rings.

I still have a soft spot for Draco from Dragonheart. ^^

Was just curious

4 Likes

The first Dragonheart movie and Eragon.

2 Likes

Dragons are a massive part of WoW to me. Even in WC3, killing a dragon was a feat/rewarding.

2 Likes

I am fire. I am death!

Smaug was a pretty cool dragon too. I liked his little “interview” with Stephen Colbert

Dragons are one of the things that I like about WoW. I see them as dragons that shapeshift into a mortal form to blend in/be more approachable when interacting with them.

I really like the Dracthyr being hybridized as they are too. I don’t understand all of the bellyaching.

Or actually, I do. It’s the fact that the class is tied to them and not everyone wants to be a lizard. Still think tying the class exclusively to them (I understand thematics/abilities/et cetera) was a bad call.

2 Likes

Dragons are essential to my high fantasy interest. Low fantasy isn’t really my thing. I’d rather be fully immersed in a magical/ fictional world filled with epic stories, diverse characters, and massive quests that take a long time to fulfill.

:dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean: :dragon: :ocean:

Warcraft: Orcs vs Humans
Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness
Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne

No where in those four game were dragons ever a central part of the story.
Dragons are boring, Cata was boring. A dragon centric story is only so compelling.
Remember the last time they did it?

Thrall: ha ha gold dragon coin go brrrrrrr

4 Likes

They aren’t elves. I know that much.

Chromie is my favorite dragon.

I think it’d be better received if it was only a one-way restriction, at least.

Like, okay, dragon class is exclusive to dragon race, fine. But why can’t the dragon race also pick up an Axe and hit people? Or do regular Mage things? Priests?

At least one of the new things should be more widely available.

100% agree.

Dracthyr really need some additional class options to open them up to people that aren’t interested in evoker (or would simply rather perform another role, such as tanking.)

I’ve been fascinated with WoW dragons since before WoW even released. One of the first books I ever read on my own growing up was Day of the Dragon. The way it represented each Aspect and described the history of their betrayal at the hands of Deathwing was so fascinating to me. To the point that Deathwing became my favorite lore character (until Cata kind of botched his character).

Ever since then, I’ve loved dragons of all kinds, but especially WoW dragons. Such that I have RP’d as several different dragons in-game over the years.

So…let’s just say that the ability to play as a character of draconic origins in full canon…is kind of my ultimate dream come true.

2 Likes

More than anything, I love that they have actual intentions and culture beyond just being big boss monster loot bags. The idea of being in a dragon made city is incredibly exciting to me. I want to see dragons living and interacting as dragons, and seeing how dragon culture operates.

1 Like

I love dragons, i know that we never are going to be that big dragon, so i was hopping to be able to imaging being a real dragon that use his human form to fight , but seems i have to be a lizzard, im sad i can not fight being in my human form.

I’m baffled people can find dragons boring. And Cata was more elemental based since they yeeted Deathwing out of the plot early on until it was time for Dragon Soul

1 Like