We're not making enough noise about layering

Wouldn’t be too sure about that buddy even thalnos will have a lot of layers, blizzard only gave 10 servers for the millions who will play classic. They are delusional

Since all my research and applied logic says that there’s no way they will keep layering for longer than needed and i am really taking an impartial approach, just looking at it from the outside so to speak,But if i’m wrong I will start a specific thread for a deserved Public Shaming! lol
“I believed and was deceived, Shame at will”

They must really be hoping for a small Classic so J. Allen doesn’t have to really eat his words and the company inevitably announces Classic + due to Classic outsizing retail by 3-5x

Wow layering makes me uncomfortable. I can’t stand it

1 Like

Math says otherwise, unless the server is under 10k users how can they possibly disable layering? If you just assume a launch of a million subs each server would have to be ~100k

Ill even give you the benefit of the doubt and say only half of those people play at launch. so 50k a server. What do you think the drop off after a month will be? 50%? 80%? at 80% dropoff the server would STILL have 10k users on it (original servers were 2.5k) so this would still require 4 layers.

Please tell me again that they are going to disable layering in phase 2. Because I highly doubt that.

Hmm…they may have grossly underestimated the numbers. I believe 22 serves + a couple streaming servers.At 10k per server, this would be 220k capacity.
Layering doesn’t add capacity to a server, just divides it up into slices. I understand what they are trying to achieve as a short term solution and merging all layers into one 10k layer, i don’t actually will be an issue.
The issue would be how they are implementing the layers and if a realm capacity did exceed the 10k, well that would indicate that they are using an additional architectural layer that included multiple servers, “daisy chained” so to speak all managed by a front end Loadbalancing system acting as the primary realm. This would allow for almost unlimited layers per realm. Consequently, this also would be really bad, especially if the anticipated drop in active players did not fall below the 10k threshold which would allow for all layers to be merged into a single environment…The result would be either keeping layering or creating new realms and merging surplus players population up into the new realms.

I should have done my math first lol…I completely understand the Tech for layering and sharding and the Pro’s & cons’s of each, but my oversight was a backend that with a capacity of 220k active players…which would by rights be dispersed in the game and IRL from a time of day perspective…

It’s not the layers that are my concern…It’s how they may have implemented them to limit the number of realms. I would expect that having a 220k Max active player capacity, they would have calculated no more than double that at 440k for the zerg, which includes tourists, casuals, time of day, dispersion…thus never exceeding 220k at any given time…
I mean 440k for the launch of a new game is pretty significant…But in this case could be grossly underestimated. Not sure how they projected the numbers to determine resource allocation requirements, i can only hope that there estimations are more accurate than what we might be speculating.

That seems like a very small amount of server room for such a high number of people. How are they flubbing the launch of Classic this badly?

I really don’t know! Not sure if we our overestimating or they are underestimating…And it seems they are not announcing anything addressing potential overpopulation issues to ease the people…

I love how you go out of your way to make inviting someone to your f*cking group sounds like a big hassel…

Also yes its this or its

1. dont have layering and servers will all have insane qeues for weeks.
  2. they need to add a ton of servers, many will be empty after weeks meaning that they will need to merge servers and server identity
  3. add a bunch of “illidan 1” “Illidan 2” then merge em later but that is literally layering but worse cause you cant change.
1 Like

I’m okay with option #1 if I’m being honest. It’s worth it to me for no layering.

1 Like
  1. There’s going to be insane queues for weeks even with layering, because layering wasn’t built to prevent queue’s. They alleviate them a little, but that’s just a side effect.
  2. This is a sloppy, but still viable method.
  3. This is superior to Layering in every way since as it stands layering will be doing exactly this, except imagine each “Illidan” server to have a joint AH and have player forcefully switching servers whenever they form a group, or relog, or someone else forms a group, or for no reason at all have your group split up while in mid combat.

Layering does spook me a bit and I don’t entirely trust Blizzard to remove it in Phase 2.
It’s best not to have that trash in the game to start with. Ghosttowns, ghostowns everywhere.

3 Likes

I would rather have a que to get in to game than layering. Any sort of mega server, sharding, phasing and layering in games is cancer and is always hugely abused and anti player community and game responsibility and immersion.

2 Likes

It’s 4:39am and I just awoke in my bed in a cold sweat screaming after having a nightmare about getting layered in Classic.

2 Likes

Blizzard only listens to Shrek about “layers” so…

Exactly yes. They should just do away with it entirely. It’s more trouble than it’s worth

2 Likes

yeah I wonder how they’re gonna handle the massive streamer server or Herod when they bring down layering… IF they bring down layering. Man I hate layering

Layering is not a classic thing and therefore does not belong in classic. It is exploitable, filled with bugs, and creates less of a community when you are seeing people advertising invites to different layers.

6 Likes

With 10 days until Classic and still no word on layering I think it’s both good and bad. This means for sure layering will be in release more than likely. But on the other hand so many more people will experience it that the outrage about layering will become overwhelming.

Your options are:

Have a dead server after a couple months.

Have layering (which yes, does have the community somewhat separated, though you can still play with everyone on the server and get to know them.

Merge servers, which is basically layering but with MORE community segregation before the merge.

Have Mega Servers that are impossible to play on for 2 months.

Sorry, but while imperfect, Layering is honestly the best option imo.