We're not making enough noise about layering

God, how paranoid are you? What possible reason could they have to keep it around after it’s no longer needed? im sure they’re just dying to drive people away from the thing that’s saving wow.

Layering needs to be stopped!

1 Like

most likely won’t be permanent but even if it is, i dont think this should deter people from playing the game…these post could do more harm than good if you arent careful about it

Having no issues on a stress test that only goes to lvl 15 ends in 4 days isn’t the same. 30k people on 1 AH, “rare” mobs and mats being farmed by one guild on 6 layers, not having to compete in an area to quest or farm, all these are definitely game breaking. what happens when they take down layering? 20k in wait line or 30k in the server at the same time? Id rather people be outraged now and blizz have time to fix it than have them put out some BFA/vanilla turd sandwich.

1 Like

Incredible how this subject has created such an uprising.

• Layering is a temporary solution to a potentially game breaking problem. The overflow of people which will diminish over time could decimate the game experience for far to many players. Hence a short term solution - Layering
  • Vanilla didn’t have the same problems, so you can’t compare. At this time the game was in it’s infancy and gradually growing in popularity allowing for scaling to occur proportionately.
  • Wow has since then expanded into the largest MMORPG - Pretty sizable Player Base
  • Even when the WOW explosion began during BC, even on it’s worst “overflow” day I think would pale in comparison to what could happen with Classic
  • With Classic, you have almost the entire current Player Base, Past Players and a massive community on standby just watching at the moment - All this could potentially create a massive influx of people spontaneously joining a game upon release wreaking havoc. The attention that Classic is receiving in the MMORPG community dwarf’s any other release of a single MMORPG.

I’ve watched the exploit videos, read the articles etc:

• Exploits - most revolve around people grouping with other people to change there layer intentionally. Sure, and although ridiculous yes people will probably sit on standby while there friends wait for the call to group them…What real percentage is going to do this?..Every game has it’s exploits and there will always be that group of people who abuse it.
  • Immersion - Remember it’s temporary - Are you really going to experience a sense of isolation from the entire realm when you are surrounded by hundreds of people regardless of where you go…Hundreds is the net effect of Layers when it could be 1000’s without it. And those numbers are unrealistic in the long term anyway, When the Layers are merged, the crowd diminishes and disperses and there is only 30 people around you instead of hundreds are you going to feel a disconnect.
  • Layers too populated to merge when the merging transition begins? The server has a fixed capacity, the layers are divided into the fixed capacity. The total population of the Layers combined can’t exceed the Server capacity. Therefore when merging occurs, this has already been accounted for. Layering isnt about the number of players, it’s about the experience.

Anyway not trying to dismiss people’s feeling’s or opinions, but I would be more inclined to agree there is a problem if the Pro’s didn’t outweigh the Con’s and that it was a permanent solution as opposed to temporary.

1 Like

Good write up. Layering when you weigh it out IS indefensible. The most ominous thing is that we may indeed end up with permanent layering.

2 Likes

People will just move back to private servers and Blizzard will just go “Hah! We told you that you didn’t want Classic!”

2 Likes

Layering still there. It helped heavily in populated zones to keep questing. I think these layering people are just blind. Glad its staying for phase one at least. After that imo it should be gone. That way the large portion population isn’t fighting over one named mob.

1 Like

Hopefully the outrage is so much they aren’t able to do that without it being obvious they’re deflecting.

1 Like

Thanks!

Of course i love my conspiracies so on the other hand this would be an ingenious tactic by Blizz to promote the “hate” for layering to initially scare off a large community from spontaneously joining. So instead this group waits til the dust settles due to the controversy before joining…Would actually work in favor of calculating scaling requirements and implementing more gradual growth plan.

My apologies, taking the tinfoil hat off now lol…

1 Like

Maybe because its built into the modern infrastructure and not removable, and cheaper than separate servers? Activation is in a bit on a penny-pinching phase.

1 Like

It’s alright. Time will tell. I sincerely hope layering ends up out of the game as soon as possible.

1 Like

Heh, this thread keeps growing. Still no response from Blizzard.

This is an aptly-named thread! :smiley:

The game will launch with layering. People will log in. They’ll level up and spread out some. Perhaps some will quit once they hit their 20’s. Ultimately, it’s not gonna be a big deal.

Layering isn’t going anywhere friend, sorry. Further, it will last past the first zone or first few weeks. Layering is pretty much a blizzard repackaging of sharding. And layering (sharding) will stay for as long as it is needed and I am glad for it.

I do a little dance on the inside everytime I think about layering because common sense won in the end.

Send me those sweet sweet hearts cause its real and coming at ya in two weeks!..

1 Like

I don’t think it’s gonna be a big deal, folks are gonna level and spread out, others are gonna quit. If it does stick around for some reason maybe they can add something to the UI were you can switch layers once every 3 or 6 hours.

Still they did say it would be gone after a bit anyway, just gotta roll with it till then.

1 Like

You don’t think it’s a big deal to not see the people you play with out in the world? To be able to farm and exploit resources? To break the community itself? Not really ‘small deal’ type of issues here.

2 Likes

They think it’s fine because months down the line people can just transfer if Blizz ever creates more servers(that’s a big if right there). After all, there won’t be a community as long as Layering exists so transferring won’t cost anything!

As far as every person you meet being irrelevant since you’ll likely never see them again, it’s your fault for not adding every single person you talk to even once to your friends list and then checking the location of where every single one of them are in every zone you enter to see if you need to try and layer hop just to see them.

1 Like

I know some people are convinced it will stay, not sure why, there is no purpose aside from improving the user experience for that short term zerg so there is no other net gain like consolidation and sharing of resources… anything long term would literally involve Sharding, not layering, which I believe we have been told will not happen in Classic.

If it did stick around, ya I agree very bad…but i’m not convinced based on the above. If anything they would sneak sharding back in which does allow to share resources, but we know how unfavorable that is.

Ultimately we will find out over the next couple months.

Yes exactly, only time will tell if it will stay. However layering is still relevant. I don’t want it even for the first few weeks if it can be avoided personally. As others have pointed out those are crucial formation times for the server and all the servers will be bloated and severed because of layering thus muking things up.

1 Like

my realm is low pop we might not even have layering :slight_smile: or at most maybe just for launch day