We're not making enough noise about layering

Even if its the first couple weeks people will not have to contend with other characters or factions for rare resources or pvp controll over an area, which was a large part of vanilla experience, when they can just layer hop.

We’re stuck with it for now, so we need to refocus our efforts on (2) things.

1. Disabling layering in cities ASAP
  2. Disabling layering long before Phase 2

Id much rather have a server population cap and have layering stop at level 20.

That’s really the only good thing about layering at this point - it’s so terrible for Classic, it’s gonna cause a massive outrage starting from launch.

That outrage will be building up to the point where either Blizzard acts quickly and removes layering much earlier than they intended, or they might also ignore the outrage no matter how big and keep pushing their “you think you do, but you don’t” style until they make the game fail because of it since they know what’s best for us players afterall as they’ve proven with their recent judgements in modern expansions.

2 Likes

because it is acting like layering and the are basing it upon past retail server side - so its layering but only on your “server”

layering is a corporate term so they did using phasing or sharding

1 Like

I’m not even concerned about layering.

What concerns me is the end game meta in terms of player behavior. Which is going to be a huge problem because of the ignorant ‘no changes’ crowed who never actual played classic, misremember completely, or were the sociopathetic guild leader that was fortunate enough to take advantage of everyone.

The game did need changes. And I suspect by month 2 or 3, most people will be yammering for changes.

Yea, then when it fails because it was not like Vanilla Brack will still say “I told ya!”. Lets just hope they get rid of layering FAST! Every day that passes that they don’t do it will just mean more and more people worldwide will be going back to private servers. Layering is as anti-Vanilla as it gets.

2 Likes

We can only hope the outrage is immense when the game releases with layering and Blizzard decides to listen.

1 Like

If it is anything like my experience playing during this past stress test, there will be no outrage. Except for those of you who seem to view outrage as a hobby. I had a great time playing with no layering issues. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

And were you playing alone or with friends? Because if you’re playing solo then it doesn’t matter. Layering only affects people with friends.

2 Likes

I played solo on Friday, then Saturday and Sunday with my mom. Again, we had no issues.

1 Like

You think you want to play without layering (sharding), but you really don’t!

You were very lucky. I kept getting stuck in very empty capital cities that should have had loads of people running in the roads.

1. Disable layering in capital cities immediately.

2. Disable layering after 2-3 months.

I played human and Nelf over the weekend. Neither city was packed, but Darnassus was very quiet. However the leveling zones were very busy. I didn’t spend any real time in the cities, just quick trips in when needed. I figured that’s what everyone was doing. Who wanted to hang out in cities on a stress test when there was leveling to be done?

No, you’re actually making too much noise and it’s getting annoying. I don’t think 99% of people even complaining about layers even understand how layering works.

There isn’t going to be a set amount of layers and the population is evenly distributed among those layers. Once a “layer” reaches a certain amount of players a new one will be created so too many people don’t end up in the same area. While I was leveling on the weekend, there was not a single moment where the world felt empty. I was constantly fighting for mob tags with other players, and saw tons of people running around. Hell, when I went over to the Hogger area there were at least 30+ people there fighting for mob tags. Also, layering does not constantly shuffle you around. Once you are in that layer, you are stuck there until join a group with someone in a different layer. There will be no instances of running around only to watch players/mobs around you phase out and phase back in.

I want everyone who is against layering to actually think about this for a second. Lets assume on Monday that 40k people try to log in to each server. (This is a safe estimate, it assumes around 400k overall logins between all US servers). Let’s also assume an even split of 5k Humans/Dwarves/Gnomes/Night Elves. First of all, the server would crash. It would literally be unplayable, 5000 people trying to login to one area and perform actions would be too much load for a single server and it would freeze up and crash. Second, even if the server could handle the load, there would be so many people all trying to fight for mobs to get their quests done it would take forever to do anything. Can you imagine how long it would take 5000 people to finish a single quest? Actually, we don’t have to imagine, lets do the math.

Lets be generous and assume everyone is grouped up as 5, so 1000 “total people”. We need to kill 10 mobs amounting to 10k mobs total for everyone to get their quest done. Lets assume 20 spawn locations, with a 30s respawn timer (again, generous). This means it would take 15000 seconds or 250minutes, or 4 hours and 10 minutes of the mobs respawning and dying instantly (which they would) for everyone to finish a single quest. In fact, there would be so many people standing around you wouldn’t even be able to see the mobs spawn. There would just be an ocean of players and you’d have to attempt to tab and tag the mob first. But this is the “true classic experience” you want, right?

What a joke. Boy am I happy none of you have jobs at Blizzard.

2 Likes

clips.twitch. tv/ DeterminedInterestingClintCeilingCat

This is how layering works, my dude. I respect the length of your post, though.

1 Like

Wowee one example of it doing something wonky vs me and my friends playing all weekend and having no issues.

Real hard to drop group and get invited back right?

clips.twitch .tv/PatientGloriousMomTBTacoRight

What about this example?

Agreed. But how about disable layering after 2-3 days not months

3 Likes