We're not making enough noise about layering

I like layering! It’s great! It’s so much better than 150 people trying to kill Hogger at the same time!

They won’t dude, too few servers.

Same here, been warning about this for a long while now.

As predicted, people have to see this in action themselves to really get the magnitude of how bad it actually is. The good thing is that because of that people are now speaking up more about it - the question is, will it be too late? I hope not.
Things may seem kinda set in stone atm as they released servers, name reservations and so on, but if the storm is big enough (which at the latest will be at launch and beyond) they can’t ignore it unless they stopped caring completely about their community.

Which would look very bad seeing as they said “Classic is a love letter to the community”. Yeah…about that…

1 Like

It’s insane how Ion saying “we are looking at using sharding in a limited way” has ballooned into this complete joke that is layering. Complete garbage.

5 Likes

All the people saying “Layering is fine” are people that don’t want the original Classic. It takes away from the integrity of the game. Having 50,000 people on the same AH is not going to be Classic.

6 Likes

I hope they give us a detailed and updated explanation about Layering. Footage from the stress test is showing what looks like Sharding. People randomly phasing out of existence. People not being able to see their friends. Basically everything an mmorpg should never have. Also how long are they planning on using sharding and how is it going to work when there are so few realms?

I was hoping it would only exist in the lvl 1-12 zones for 2 weeks, but now people are saying it will be the entire game for the entire first phase. That’s ridiculous. At this point I would rather just play on a private server.

There are 11 NA servers. Once layering is gone, how are these servers going to operate with like 300k people playing on each one?

5 Likes

Presumably they just told us layering is temporary to get us in the game and playing with layering to get used to it before they reveal that layering is permanent. Then the players who hate sharding are already in the game invested and Blizz likely thinks it’ll be harder for them to quit then

6 Likes

Relax guys it’s only Sharding 2.0. They’re working really hard at Sharding 2.1 and then 2.2 and then 2.3 and then…etc…

Also I just want to put this here so I can reference it in a year when people are pointing out what a crapfest Sharding 2.0 is:

“Relax guys, Sharding 3.0 is right around the corner!”

2 Likes

I don’t think you’re wrong. I’ve already decided to stick it out in the forums until launch, and if Layering remains as is, I’m giving up on Classic for good I guess. Very depressing considering how hyped I was for the last year.

1 Like

It’s funny to see how many people are defending layering still, they’re not seeing the damage it’s causing already…

Why play? Try and vote with your wallet, I canceled my sub and I won’t be playing until layering is removed, we should all do the same, might send a message to blizzard.

4 Likes

Relax guys, it’s only Classic 1.0. They’ll fix it after they go through all the xpacks and come back around for Classic 2.0

4 Likes

I hope they’re actually listening to us about this issue and communicate about it further.

1 Like

We can only hope, unfortunately blizzard has a really bad track record of not listening to its community. :hear_no_evil:

A Blizzard update to the layering and phasing issues would be much appreciated.

2 Likes

I understand your first few points, but saying that classic isn’t going to be it’s biggest at launch is laughable to me.

That’s fine, time will tell. I think I’ll be proven right, so long as they remove layering as they promised. Otherwise Classic’s launch -will- be the biggest time for the game because everyone will not want to play with layering once they see how bad it is.

With the small amount of servers I don’t foresee there ever not being lots of people in the starting zones. I tend to agree with those saying they’re probably going to keep layering.

“We’re happy to tell you that here at Blizzard, we created a brand new technology just for Classic. It’s called Layering.”

Man, what a crock of @#$%. Hahaha. Knew it when I heard it.

The funniest thing is people are still defending it like their life depends on it even though they already went from “in a limited way” to “just the starting zones” to “all of the continent for all of Phase 1”. Pretty scummy and no doubt they will continue to move that goalpost. I hope layering goes way.

I understand you’re frustration here, but in all honesty you’re just plain wrong.