We're not making enough noise about layering

Apparently Blizz thinks only 12000 people in the entirety of the East Coast and Central are interested in Classic. Everyone else is just a tourist.

100% agree!

3 Likes

Explain this to me then

https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/coxc9g/layering_is_causing_all_npcs_to_despawn_in/
https://clips.twitch.tv/EnjoyableNimbleAmazonNotLikeThis
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/coy0w3/i_understand_the_purpose_of_layering_in_the_open/
https://clips.twitch.tv/DeterminedInterestingClintCeilingCat
https://www.twitch.tv/dizeliun/clip/AmazingQuaintTildeFrankerZ?filter=clips&range=7d&sort=time
1 Like

They just shouldn’t do layering. Struggling to kill anything in the starting zone? Oops its time to play an active role in your server’s community and group up with your fellow players, they are going to be friendly, I promise

That is literally the only thing we wanted back in Classic, a god damn community that respects each other because playing fast and loose with your actions and language will get you noticed and nobody will want to play with you. This is exactly what cross-realm and sharding and other similar ‘quality-of-life’ improvements destroyed in WoW. I dont want to see different people every time I log in. I want to be recognized as a valued player by strangers on the same server, and I want to know who to avoid as well. This random crapshoot is exactly what pushed a lot of people into just playing solo.

3 Likes

The morbid reality is that layering was not what was promised, it is actually just the same sharding as retail, and they plan on megasharding only a couple servers, and it wont just be for phase 1.

The sad part is, I posted in this thread a month ago predicting this

3 Likes

Everyone’s been predicting that in these forums and this thread, including myself, far longer than a month ago. The only thing that we can do now is wait and see what happens and go from there. It doesn’t seem they’re going to offer any address of any of the problems in the meantime.

2 Likes

You would be surprised how many people unironically defended layering when I tried to make some noise about it when it was first announced.
I was called a retail babby, ungrateful/entitled, mountain out of a molehill, etc etc
And now come 2 weeks before launch, major cities are ghosttowns, people phasing out of zones/ciites, everyone is pooping their pants at this inevitable disaster.
Overall just a really depressing situation, im going to play still, but im playing with the expectation that this sharding is going nowhere and it probably wont be a very authentic experience

5 Likes

“Enchanting gear on the Org bank, tips welcome” :frowning:

-Things like this don’t work with layering. It needs to go! Especially in the larger player hubs.

4 Likes

Are the chat channels layered? If they are not you could just tell them to shoot you an invite.

The chats aren’t layered but they cannot see me nor is there an option for them to move to my layer.

They have to leave their groups, PM me for an invite, and then I have to invite them. That’s not like it was in classic.

3 Likes

How is trade chat going to work with 20k people on a server? Servers like Herod very well could end up with more than that.

Ok so there is an option. That is good enough for me.

We are two weeks out. We know they are trying to pack 4 times the number of people on each server with the layering tech. I don’t think any amount of complaining is going to change that at this point.

Layering needs to go. It is not classic wow at all. All it is doing is splitting the community so i cant see half of the people. If a friend and i want to meet somewhere in the world we should be able to without having to party up to see eachother.

4 Likes

I’ve not been a fan of layering, but it’s far worse than I feared. This is game breaking stuff. It’s not working as Blizz said it would. Players are randomly switching layers, getting layered from people in their own group. From changing zones, or entering a city. This is just sharding right now.

So Blizz…what happened?

4 Likes

I find it quite ironic that after all these years and the many MMORPGs that came and went the only thing capable of killing WoW was Blizzard itself. I think our only option is to stick it out until phase 2 (ideally it would be removed after 1-2 weeks), and if layering isn’t removed as promised we abandon ship and never look back.

2 Likes

I agree with everything you said.

1 Like

Cuz we didn’t just have a stress test WITH sharding and even that was pretty bad for mob tagging initially. TOTALLY going to be fine with 5-10X the amount of players going for the exact same mobs and the exact same gathering items. Nope no issue there >.>

The players start to weed out around lvl 15 because you’ll have new players starting, older players going to bed, and the slower players will be falling behind. After lvl 15 you’ll slowly start seeing the gaps showing up more and more as time goes on, resulting in less and less need for sharding. By the time you reach lvl 30 players will slowly start hitting a wall because of the traveling you need to do, not knowing quest locations and other things. By lvl 45ish you’ll start seeing people struggling to level resulting in lvl 55+ being a pain for the vast majority of players. Most players wont reach lvl 60 in 2 weeks but mostly around a month and most of those players are going to be lvling fairly close to each other.

Sharding is more desired early on simply because questing with 30-60 players in a zone is going become cumbersome as most of them are going to ignore the fact you’ll need to grind lvls and questing together actually reduces exp gained.

They should just use layering in starter zones.

1 Like

Huge Community, many different opinions.
For the Horde.

My plan exactly. If they don’t get rid of layering it’s private server for me.

1 Like