We're not making enough noise about layering

it’s a good barometer for historical data.
Runescape was super popular when they decided to bend over and put out classic runescape after saying they needed 500k to maintain it and asked for petition signatures (and got 500k they said they needed), it peaked at 1/5 of those that signed that. I think Classic WoW will be similar where 100-200k max total players world wide will be playing Classic.

So why are they beta testing a new PVP format for Old School Runescape, as we speak?

https://oldschool.runescape.wiki/w/Update:Last_Man_Standing_Beta_and_Splashing_Restrictions

Pretty sure classic runescape is still going.

Old School Runescape is not Classic Runescape. Classic Runescape shut down permanently in August of 2018.

I have to admit this little side discussion made me squee a little!!!

1 Like

So to convert that to WoW terms:

WoW: Retail is going fine.
WoW: Classic is going fine.
WoW: Vanilla shut down.

Seems like a valid comparison.

hehe was interesting. I just never undrstood using an int variable instead of a bool (one takes up a single bit other is 32bit usually depending on if you use int, short or long)

I hope you cleaned yourself up later :stuck_out_tongue:

I am highly disturbed…and intrigued.

It’s not even close. Old School Runescape was the 2006 version of Runescape, also known as Runescape 2. It’s had ongoing development for years and is not a “museum” piece like Classic WoW is. Old School Runescape is more similar to a Classic+ proposal.

Runescape Classic was the original, 2001 version of Runescape and was not under active development. Runescape Classic was the “museum” piece.

me too … or at least that’s what I’ve been told by my lawyers to say.

No modern implementation of Boolean variables uses a single bit any more. They all use Native-bit allocations, because its far faster to load a single DWORD/QWORD into memory than generate a blank DWORD, then set the correct register. So its no change in memory to use a Boolean or Integer value, and since Booleans are treated as either 0 or -1 in most implementations, they are Integers.

-1 is used for True because that way every single bit is set to 1 (including the sign bit).

And in 2006 they closed off being able to make new accounts, and if you didn’t maintain your playing level you lost access. They’ve been trying to kill off Classic Runescape actively for years and haven’t actively supported it.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/23/17384066/runescape-classic-shutting-down-jagex

If anything, this is proof that Classic WoW can survive for a long time with a dedicated fan base.

They opened up account creation for Classic Runescape numerous times over the years. Why would they open up account creation if they were trying to kill it off?

https://www.reddit.com/r/2007scape/comments/40gjzy/psa_runescape_classic_is_now_open_to_new_accounts/

When did they stop support for it?

What do you mean by support? It was supported until it was discontinued in 2018.

It was hosted until 2018. When was the last time they made fixes to it?

The point being that your very example provides proof that Classic can last far longer than people think, without a Classic+ or TBC style change. 17 years with no content changes in the last 10? WoW’s superior UI and gameplay can get at least that if not far more.

Though I agree it won’t be with millions of players. 500k for the first 2 years, dropping to maybe 100k after Naxx is cleared by the average player.

Doubtful. :beer:

I think you misunderstand the point I was trying to make. I wasn’t arguing that Classic isn’t going to be successful, I was stating that using Classic Runescape as an example of Classic WoW’s future success was probably not a very good measure as it had recently shut down.

Using Old School Runescape as an example isn’t very good either, for the reasons I mentioned. People constantly clamor that if Classic WoW recieves any changes, it will fail and players will run back to Private Servers.

OSRS has had hundreds of QoL and content changes/additions. There’s just a bit too much hypocrisy in saying “Look at OSRS, it’s more popular than retail RS!” and then the next post over claiming that Classic WoW will die if it receives new content or changes.

If Classic WoW lasts unchanged for only 17 years… I think we can all be ok with that. That’s my point.

I’ll accept that OSRS is more of a Classic+ analog.

I don’t think Classic will out-do Retail, but Classic+ might. Especially if Retail continues its decline, then the bar will be so low that anything “new” will be the WoW Killer.

1 Like