We're not making enough noise about layering

Some of us understand their reasoning behind using it. Personally, I think they should have just used sharding in the starter zones instead of evolving into layering.

I don’t care at all about the “negative” impacts of layering on my experience. I don’t care if I see people phase out of the world and I don’t care if people “abuse” layering to get some extra copper ore. This stuff has no long-term impact on my enjoyment of the game because it’s only in phase 1.

One of the primary whines about layering is the impact it has on people’s immersion. They claim it’s immersion breaking to see people randomly disappear out of the world when they swap layers. Is your immersion broken when people log in and out? I just think the crying about this is pathetic.

Phase 1 is 1-60 and MC on farm already my dude…

1 Like

And? I already said they should have just used sharding in the starter zones but the crying about sharding ended up evolving it into layering.

I’d prefer sharding but I still don’t care about the effects this has on my gameplay. It’s inconsequential to my enjoyment of the game.

Well it pretty damn much destroys it for a lot of us.
Especially the folks rolling on PvP servers.

1 Like

Should have just accepted sharding I guess. It might not be too late to beg Blizzard to reverse their decision to use layering.

I never wanted either. I just wanted more servers and merging. The way every MMO ever has handled things.

1 Like

Maybe you shouldn’t have an opinion if you haven’t experience layers in closed beta? They work perfectly, and it’s not sharding or cross servers, somebody ninja loots, or behaves badly the entire server will know and blackball them still, layering doesn’t change that… It just makes quests more doable, cuz i’ts not flooded with 50 people in that area. Nobody wants server ques, I honestly don’t get why layering is that bad, when it’s gonna fix bigger issues.

Because only the people whining about it will wait and the rest of us can get on with the fun, and layering will go away faster because you’re not there. 99% of players will not throw a tantrum about layering when the game is released.

No…

You were responding to my response to Mogar where he said:

But keep telling me how I’m the one making things up.

:man_facepalming:

I’m starting to wonder if you’re just a troll at this point since your entire argument is based on your inability to read the thing I was responding to, before ranting about how I’m the one making claims, because I responded to someone else making claims… which YOU then supported.

And planning for a fantasy land where millions of people who’ve never played Vanilla suddenly fall in love with it after coming from a game they clearly enjoy that’s barely recognizable as the same game… is a guaranteed way to fail.

Sorry, who was the one who resorted to name calling? (See above)

Only the first few weeks, before most people have even got into a raid, and for many, even hit 60.

Once, again:

Only the people whining about overcrowdedness will wait while the rest of us can get on with the fun.

Once, again. It’s not an argument for your “solution” if it just as easily applies as an argument for “the problem”.

Likewise about early overcrowdedness.

I can keep doing this for hours you know.

Excuse me for not going back 50 posts to see where a point originated from. You’re the one who made a ridiculous claim, so I reacted to it.

Only after I started to wonder if you were retarded.

I didn’t read 50 posts back, no.

But from what I can tell, Mogar was using a hyperbole and you responded to it as if it were a literal number.

Good job?

So is planning for a doomsday scenario, but hey. Different standards when you’re in favor of it, right?

Fearmongering at its finest, mister hypocrite.

I’m pretty sure you’re the one who started to question “my perception of reality”. Apparently it’s namecalling when I do it, when I choose to do the same by using a single word?

If it makes you feel any better, feel free to call me a doodyhead.

Layering is going to be here on release.

You can play on launch, wait a few weeks for it to be removed, or spend your time playing other games instead.

Either way, layering is happening and these threads are becoming worthless spam.

3 Likes

It’s going to be here for a few months not a few weeks. They already shifted from just the starting zones for a few weeks to all of Phase 1 which is a few months. It’s easy to see them going to extending it even further or perhaps keeping it permanently.

Also, if this thread is spam, why have you posted in it 18 times?

1 Like

You need to stop talking if you don’t know what you are talking about. Savvy?

1 Like

Except, I didn’t make a claim. I was arguing against a claim, and YOU literally supported that claim yourself in your own post. Do you regularly go around supporting things you don’t agree with? Or just randomly repeating things you heard? I literally quoted the point where you said 1000 players was authentic, but you’re not the one making the claim… right?

Lol, if you think those two statements are identical, you need to actually get out more. To rephrase, I said that you were deluding yourself, and you told me I was mentally handicapped. One is a point about the discussion, the other is an ad hominem.

#IonPromised. Where’s your evidence it will be around for a few months? Please provide video evidence, since we have Ion on video promising it would be around for a few weeks.

All references to Phase 1 were replying to questions about whether Layering would affect World Bosses arriving in Phase 2, and therefore they replied that no, Layering wouldn’t be in Phase 2, so it wouldn’t affect them.

What I mean is that sharding was stated to originally be in the starting zones only for a few weeks, and then they changed their mind and shifted it into layering which will be ALL zones for all of phase 1. It isn’t difficult to see them again changing their mind and further extending layering, especially if Classic is more populated than they expected.

In fact I can easily see Ion having another interview where he directly says, “Yeah I know we said before it would only be a few weeks but we’ve experienced such amazing success with Classic in terms of player interest that we’ve decided to keep it around in order to enhance the experience of all the new players joining the game.”

Again, wrong.

They said that they were investigating how they could use sharding for the first few weeks.

They shifted into Layering for the first few weeks, after the outcry about disappearing players on the Forums.

Again, wrong.

It will be all zones for the first few weeks.

“My argument is weak so I will fall back to ‘Blizzard can’t be trusted’”.

3 Likes

You cant switch layers like thay anymore. They put a cd on how often you can switch layers

This is wonderful

Here’s the original statement. (My emphasis)

We understand that, and I understand completely, that sharding is antithetical to a cohesive Classic community, where you’re competing over limited resources. When Lord Kazzak is up, and guilds are racing to defeat him, there needs to be only one Lord Kazzak. When you’re trying to get, you’re trying to lock down the Thorium veins that spawn in limited sections of the world, you should be competing over limited resources. That said, the first few weeks when everybody is packed into Valley of Trials, when everyone is packed into Elwynn, we think we can use sharding there in a limited, time limited, way to solve the initial launch day load problems, while making sure that in the long run as server communities solidify, there’s a healthy population, and a single world for everyone to live in.

And then the later statement:

We’re going to continue that process over the first few weeks, till eventually we will collapse down, and we promise we will do this a few weeks in , to a single world per realm, no sharding, none of that going forward.

2 Likes

No, once again you are putting words in my mouth.

The claim I made was “1000 people is pretty authentic for a launch experience”.

Which, for the record, is a hyperbole. It doesn’t mean that I think 1001 or 999 people “are not authentic”, it means I think “a lot of people” in a starting zone is pretty authentic, for a launch experience.

Which, for the record, ALSO doesn’t mean I am in FAVOR of it - just in case you were tempted to turn that into yet another Straw Man, which you seem to be quite gifted at.

What?

I never said they are identical. Comprehensive reading, try it some time.

I was saying that if you start insulting people, you shouldn’t be crying about it when people insult you back, regardless if the way in which they insult you back is more direct or not.

In my defense: I am strongly starting to suspect that that might indeed be the case. In which case it would qualify as an observation and not an insult.

And you would know all about fallacies, wouldn’t you?

I can’t help but notice you didn’t bother to respond to my undermining of your actual arguments in favor of Layering. Should I assume that means you have no further defense?

One is part of the debate discussing your interpretation of the debate topic, the other is a fallacy used because you’re unable to retain an argument.

Actually, it’d still count as an ad hominem attack. So another fallacy.

Yep. I have to constantly defend against them by people posting anti-layering sentiment that’s grounded in rumors, lies, and self-centered destructive short-sightedness.